Camper Mattress!

Is this what you were talking about? Looks like it provides more comfort
https://www.bigagnes.com/Sleeping-Giant-Pad-Cover_2

Yes thats it. Its great because if you are sleeping with a blanket you are not on the nylon. And it makes it more quiet.

So you dont recommend the latex pads? I was just starting to look into those. It would be nice just to be able to jump up in the GFC and sleep. I like the BA pads but its just one more thing to take or blow up.

I donā€™t mind the latex but find the BA pad more comfortable. At leasr for now. Who knows maybe Iā€™ll switch back. If I were to complain about the latex topper its that sometimes you get gaps in between the cushions because it moves around plus you have to turn the 2 cushions upside down in order to close the tent.

What about getting the big Agnes tent floor sleeping pad? Than combine that with a big Agnes 2 person sleeping bag and you have what sleeping dreams are made of!!
Basically makes it impossible to roll off your pad.

1 Like

I have the original 3" mattress, and would like to get a 1" latex topper in the gray pads. Anyone have any thoughts on thinning that 3" foam down to 2"? Iā€™m struggling to figure out how to do that cleanly.

Or I guess I could replace all the foam with 2" foam.

I suggest you find a good upholstery shop. Show them what you have. Let them know what you want. Then have them make some suggestions.

Peace.

1 Like

When Iā€™ve cut foam in the past an electric turkey knife has come in handy

1 Like

@Squeaks, if you want to add 1 inch of any type of foam I would recommend doing it on top of the cushion and then using GFC sheets to hold it in place or have your own madeā€¦ If you try to stuff foam inside the existing covers it will compress it too much and it will not be effective. The GFC sheets are a little tight on the small squares and need to be altered but it works.

I have removed the original 3" pads from my camper and use an Exped pad. I removed the rigid plastic from the original square pads and use the rigid plastic to create a level floor in the sleeping area. If I am camping alone this is a more comfortable bed for sleeping and an easier bed to get out of the way when not sleeping. It is also easy to close the original thick vinyl top when the Exped is in place.

5 Likes

Can you provide pics? Thanks

I have included three photos. One shows the original pads removed, the rigid honeycomb plastic from one of the square pads inserted in the sleeping deck, and the Exped mat. The second shows the moveable sleeping deck sections pushed to the front of the camper and the Exped up against the roof held in place by a cord attached to magnets. There are small metal plates attached to the bottom of the roof with adhesive foam where the magnets attach. The third photo shows the Exped mat and sleeping deck position when it is time to pull the tent down.I have an early camper, around #94. It came with the 3" thick sleeping pads and the heavy vinyl tent. This configuration works well for solo camping. The sleeping mat is very comfortable for me, it maximizes standing room in the tent when the mat is not in use, and it is very easy to close the camper top. I think the same arrangement would work for two people with a double width Exped and the rigid honeycomb plastic from both original square pads.

8 Likes

Not sure if this applies in this thread since I have the RTT - but I was able to fit and test an Exped Megamat Max. Definitely going to be a game changer for the coldest nights.

I previously had the Duo, but recently upgraded to the Max, knowing the length & width dimensions are the same (Max is thicker). If you are familiar with Exped, they definitely have the best camp mattresses.

Also, when fully deflated, Iā€™m still able to fit a double sleeping bag and exped pillows with the tent closed.

11 Likes

Thatā€™s the Max Duo (double wide one)?

Yep, the big one

Exped MegaMat Max 15 Duo LW+

1 Like

Does that matt press out on the tent fabric width wise?

No, but itā€™s dependent on how firm you like your mattress.

The mattress is about 6in thick, and without the stock GFC mattress, it sits snug within the extrusion. There is about 2 inches of height over the extrusion and it doesnā€™t press the tent fabric outwards.

My lady and I prefer the mattress on the softer side, and since there are 3 of us (1 dog), we donā€™t need much volume.

If youā€™re on the opposite end of the spectrum (firm mattress, single person), then the mattress may push out on the tent fabric, but I wouldnā€™t be concerned. The mattress is so snug towards the bottom of the extrusion, that itā€™s effectively holding the tent fabric buttons in place.

I see. Thanks for the info. I wanted that one (The Exped) but the less thick one but thought it would press outward too much. I went with the Big Agnes since it was slightly narrower. Iā€™m sure the Exped is more comfortable but the BA isnā€™t bad if you donā€™t inflate it too firm. I found the stock mattress to be much too hard for my side sleeping. Cheers!

Iā€™ve been thinking about trying the Duo 10 but they were sold out everywhere before our last trip. Now Iā€™m not sure if I should go 10 or 15ā€¦

The actuals were 3" and they switched to 2" to match the RTT version. Iā€™m thinking of switching to Zinus Memory Foam Green Tea Mattress for my back pain. this has been made by memory foam, castor seed oil, and green tea extracts to relive the back pain. I have been suffering from chronic back pain and Neck Pain quite a sometime and my doctor has suggested e this Zinus Mattress this is the best budget mattresses, the US Certified for Durability, Performance and Content.

one thing to consider and research (i dont recall all the details) some foam will react to temps, and as such, will harden as it gets cooler