Camper Mattress!

I had to remove the GFC foam. I stored the foam, but left the fabric covers on the 2 front square panels to make them easier to grab, move or remove when entering the tent. I went back and checked my camper yesterday and IF you completely deflate and close the mattress outlets, the camper closes easily whether you fold the mattress lengthwise or not. I do fold mine so there is less messing with the side fabric when closing. Thx

I left the original foam and panels in. Just fully deflate the ExPed and squish the air out but then leave it laid flat inside when closing.

Iā€™m sure if you took the GFC foam out you could probably leave the ExPed inflated while closing but I have not tried that one.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried a reverse air pump to deflate faster?

1 Like

I use my 18v Makita leaf blower. Super quick (~60 seconds) to inflate and deflate and the existing nozzle fits perfectly over the openings on the Exped.

3 Likes

Those of you with the exped, have you given up on entering the tent from the bottom and use the exterior entry 100% now? Have you found a clever way to still be able to stand up in your truck bed?

With the exped duo going down into the bed is not an easy option. I tried it a couple times but its easier to go out the ladder. Someone on this thread suggested using a rope or something to lift the mattress out of the way and basically pin it to the ceiling so you can then remove panels and have access to the bed and be able to stand. I have two single big Angus pads and used them for a while. This makes it a little easier to climb down compared to one big 2 person mattress.

@owennoll Great question. I thought of this when I elected to just use a foam pad on top of the existing GFC padding instead of the exped inflatable mattress. I was initially attracted by the ability to deflate and store the mattress inside the tent, but that didnā€™t address other necessary bedding whether one prefers bags or blankets. I also love bunk mode, so a full size mattress doesnā€™t work for me. I love being able to stand when needed. In bunk mode, no bed changes are needed, of course. If the floor panels need to be moved while in tent mode, the foam mattress that I have can be rolled to one side fairly easily. It has worked out better for me to just have a bedding bag where all bedding is stored, including the memory foam pad.

1 Like

I tried it once but I can deflate it in about 2 minutes so its not much different.

Good to know. I read some reviews of people saying itā€™s kind of a pain doing it in the tent.

I went with an Exped MW being I camp solo most of the time. But if that ever changes, I think I would still rather have two of these than one duo. Should make it easier to access the top and move panels and stuff around.

8 Likes

@Squeaks, so you have no paddling on the side of your megamat. Good ideaā€¦ Are you able to close the tent by just opening the release valve?

Not sure why the company chose to use a thongā€™d ass for itā€™s advertising, but it sure made me crack up.

3 Likes

Yes and yes.

I pulled the biggest cushion out, and the foam from one of the smallest cushions. The remaining two fit in nicely, and I have some room up front for pillows and stuff. Probably not the best setup for tall people, but works for me.

So Iā€™ve slept in my GFC for 3 weeks now and although itā€™s no Taj Mahal, the comfort level is about what I expected.

The thing is, years before I ever owned a GFC I owned a Paco Pad Super Pad and always loved it. I canā€™t believe it, but I think this is the first mention of a Paco pad on this forum.

I took my super pad to Moab last week and it worked out so well that I went ahead and ordered the truck pad for ol 848.

The thing that makes the Paco Pad perfect for the GFC is that they were both born out of the same spirit. Itā€™s simple and yet effective. You can just pull that thing out of your GFC and throw it on the grown and take a nap in under a tree somewhere.

Remember, you heard it here first. Done of you will balk at the price, but it will change your life.

2 Likes

I have said since the beginning that I wish GFC made the platform 2ā€™ longer over the cab so that you could leave the rear area area open all the time. I understand the advantage of keeping everything as compact as possible but when youā€™re settled in for the night itā€™s a pain in the butt to move panels around.

Not really complaining as I love my GFC. Just making random meaningless comments because this is the internetā€¦

4 Likes

I had heard about Paco Pads before. 2 of those might be an interesting replacement for the foamā€¦

I used to raft but sold everything a couple years ago (Aire Super Puma). The Paco Pads are very popular in the rafting community, definitely the toughest sleeping pad Iā€™ve ever seen. I personally never owned one but the people that did swore by them.

1 Like

Love the pacopad but hate waking up to my face stuck to the pvc
Similar to sleeping on a leather couch lol
Nothing a blanket couldnā€™t remedy.
But yes they are definitly an amazing sleeping experience and you can float some rapids on them. Just for fun

I just spend the last weekend sleeping on my new Paco pad in the GFC and loved it! 72x48x3

Is it easier to close the tent? Can you leave some bedding up there?