Camper Mattress!

I’ve heard those are called flip’n’fucks in college…

3 Likes

REI has expeds for 25% off starting today. You’re welcome!

4 Likes

For what its worth, I bough the Big Agnes Double Hinman sleeping pad which states it is 50" wide, well after trying to fit it into my Version 2 camper, I actually got out a tape measure and the pad is pushing 53" wide. When I bought it, I was hoping to be able to close the camper with the Big Agnes pad inside, but with the extra material from the width it won’t work. I could force it closed, but it is not really closed and looks like it is bowing/bending the upper half of the tent.

1 Like

I’m experimenting with replacing the top layer of foam (soft density) with a 1" firm latex mattress topper.

The bottom layer of GFC foam is very hard density to prevent bottoming out, coupled with a very soft top layer for ‘comfort’.

I have a 3" medium/firm latex topper that I’ve used for 7 years down in the camper shell (lower bunk) that has been very comfortable for me as a side sleeper and wanted to reproduce that experience with the upper bunk (what I call the GFC sleeping area) without adding any extra height or replacing with an inflatable mattress.

Haven’t tested it out other than comparing the two side-by-side (the OEM GFC mattress in one cube and my half foam/half latex in the other) on the floor so can’t comment yet on what the full experience will be like, but I can already tell it’s slightly softer without bottoming out (my concern with replacing the whole GFC mattress with a 2" latex topper.

Presenting another option for how to make the GFC mattress more comfortable.

Also, FWIW, I’ve slept about 10 nights in the GFC with the standard mattress and while I thought it would be too hard for me, I slept extremely well on it - so perhaps I’m trying to fix something that isn’t broken.

I also opted not to add the latex topper under the GFC sheets (but on top of the standard mattress) because I wanted to keep the height stock so that I could keep my bedding (large down duvet) up top and still close it with ease. I just toss the pillows in the bed and use those for daytime napping while on the road.

4 Likes

You are going hard, I seem to have slept fine on the GFC standard mattress, but the wife not so much. Sounds like you are going to make your own solution and still have bedding and that will fit when closed. Nice dog.

1 Like

We originally had two extra long inflatable sleeping pads that fit perfectly side by side in our V1. Worked well for a few trips until one trip I tossed our 95 pound German Shepherd up there one night and his nail went right through one of them, popping it instantly. That’s when we ended up doing what @Kwood did a few weeks back.

Added a 1" latex mattress topper from Amazon, cut it to match the entire mattress. Once our new GFC sheets came, we cut down the topper to fit the individual pieces, and wrapped the sheets around each. It’s worked out well so far. Still closes, but a bit more snug than before.

If you’re curious, we bought the Queen size which measured ‎60" x 80" x 1". Let us cut the 10" off the width, then cut a bit of the length off for a perfect 90" long and 50" wide.

12 Likes

I was worried the mattress would be to hard from all the comments I’ve seen here. Just did 2 weeks 3,000 miles, the mattress is fine for me, in fact the entire camper was flawless.

8 Likes

Has anyone tried the mega mat singles next to each other so you’re still able to use the moveable floor? My feet would hang off using it but thought it might be worth it to get the use of the floor.

1 Like

@Trout same here. I was hopeful it would work for us because we like a relatively firm mattress, but also a little nervous since I’d only seen a couple positive comments about it. We think it’s perfect.

1 Like

Nice, that sounds like a comfy solution.

Can you drop the link for the organizer you have attached to your ceiling? Also, how is it mounted?

Thanks

I have test fit the two single Mega Mats side-by-side but never slept on them in the GFC (we normally use a Duo up there). I think the two singles are narrower than the double on paper but by the time they are inflated and the sides bow out they are just slightly wider. They definitely fit but we found that the middle where the two mats meet has a fair amount of pressure and tends to push one of the mats upwards. I think it would be unnoticable with two people sleeping up there to hold them down…but like I said, I haven’t tried it yet.

so how would you describe the firmness? i am used to sleeping on a futon, are they about equivalent?

how would you describe the firmness? on par with a futon?

yes, a futon would be a good example.

I slept fine on mine before a pad. I sleep fine on mine with an extra pad–but the pad makes it more cozy to hang out.

I just spent two nights and the double klymit mattress made a huge difference.

Yeah, I’d generally say it’s similar to a futon. There’s a lot of different ones though so ymmv.

@thelovedrive hand made and designed by a gfc owner, he also has some cool other products The Top Shelf – VRNCLR

2 Likes

The mattress is on the firm side, almost hard, but I slept fine on it and I have old, creaky bones.

1 Like

One more positive post for the stock mattress. I couldn’t be happier.

3 Likes

So after a few day of rereading this post still trying to figure out why it was flagged??

1 Like