Deep dive on improved mattress options

I think that’s a good call. I think you’ll be happy with that. I haven’t been to active on the forum. I’ve done a lot of things to my rooftop tent. I just keep saying to myself I’m going to update everybody on everything I’ve done, but I never seem to be done, I can’t stop geeking out having fun with all the little goodies you can do to these things. Thanks for responding. I’ve seen your posts for quite some time which is why I reached out.

1 Like

Sometimes I sit in a chair and stare at the inside of the camper thinking of what I could do different. It’s like I NEED projects to do lol

4 Likes

just put the short end at your feet

Mattress pricing has dropped….

1 Like

Well that’s odd…the price has now changed?

Hello! The pricing is introductory for the community, we want to make sure everyone who wants it asap has a chance to order with good pricing. Turbo nap mattresses have been included with all builds since early September completion dates!

Here’s a review from one of many customers who have taken delivery over the last month.

2 Likes

Funny enough, @Buhlockaye and I were supposed to get it to review ahead of time.

The only thing I have done with it is felt it and laid on it. It’s certainly more comfortable than the old stuff but only sleeping multiple nights on it will tell.

Edit: compared to the Hest and what I felt, it’s comfortable. I have gone through probably 4-6 different mattress iterations though and am currently still on the Hest Dually Long which cost $400 on sale at REI. If this TurboNap Sleep mattress can compete with the Hest, it would be lights out.

I accept the nomination. I’ve done about 70 nights in the GFC and have gone through a handful of foam revisions over that time. I’d love to see what @GFC landed on and give some thoughts. But I also know they don’t need my input to sell that product. Folks will have faith in them and gobble it up, I’m sure.

I’ve got a 4k subscriber newsletter where I’ve written about my love of GFC before, and a 27k IG account, if that sways the powers that be at all.

4 Likes

The other thing - I would like to see a review on someone who has slept on the old stuff. If you walk into this new sleep system without knowing how hard the old foam was, I personally feel like it would be hard to give a true review. Probably 99% of the folks on this forum/thread have the old 2in stuff and the jump/comparison between this new stuff and the old stuff is what people want. My 2 cents that doesn’t matter :rofl:

5 Likes

Ah so that’s why I like my stock ones! :smile:

2 Likes

I made my own mattress covers and the 9 yards of high end flannel cost $117. Foam is surprisingly expensive.

The price is certainly high, but I’m still very much interested in these because sleep quality is my second highest priority with GFC (first being quick unplanned getaways). I do sleep well on the old mattress tho.

That said, I’m not sure my flannel covers would fit/work, so that’s an additional expense. :thinking:

3 Likes

The foam is a huge upgrade and after all the stuff I spent on trying to upgrade my own including the hest, I honestly just would have just gone with the GFC foam. The new covers are hard to explain but they feel great. The fabric team knocked it out of the park. New owners are lucky to get and those who purchase it will be pleased for sure.

3 Likes

Thanks. I do think the soft covers are going to make a world of difference. The old fabric is pretty hard.

1 Like

Just ordered the GFC option. It was $598 shipped.

Currently I’m using the stock GFC mattress. It was a little too firm at first but we’ve had ~30+ nights on it since June and have gotten used to it. It could be more comfortable but sleeping outside makes up for that. If that makes sense.

Lead time on the website says 10 weeks. We’ll see if being early speeds that up and I’ll report back here.

4 Likes

Happy to report the tent closed just fine with the 3.5" of foam/pad, along with a Rumpl. Pretty happy with how it feels. Definitely better than what I had before.

I am still toying with the idea of carpeting the panels like I did with the floor of my iKamper, and getting a Hest or using my HeyTrip mattress for longer trips so I can completely remove the cushions, just to be able to keep all of my bedding up there and out of the bed of the truck.

2 Likes

carpeted floor + headliner has been amazing for me. It’s made the inside of the tent feel “homier”

2 Likes

We’ve had the Deepsleep 0verland mattresses in our RTT for about a month with 5 or 6 nights on them.

5 inches inflated, 3/4 inch deflated. 2x 24 inch wide ones is a perfect fit in the RTT, about 400 bones total.

The self inflation works well, although a little bit of help for a low pressure air pump is handy. the 2 valve system with the spring loaded deflator means you can fine tune the plushness.

They are rated at R-18, and are definitely the warmest mattress I’ve slept outdoors period.

Overall they are really comfy, and allow for more storage in the RTT when closed, our complete sleep systems ride up there including real full size pillows.

1 Like

Anyone around the Bay Area, CA want an unused set of the overlands softgood 1" foam (for free)? Excitedly ordered the foam a few weeks before my camper arrived and it turns out I got the fancy new updated mattresses (which are very comfy) so I no longer need it. Not wanting to ship at this time.

I just had the best sleep ever in my GFC. I bought a Wool mattress topper from Cuddle Ewe after doing some research. It’s basically just sheered wool sewn into cotton. Temps were 32 degrees Fahrenheit and the topper provides great warmth and enough cushion to sleep on your side. My GFC cushions get stiff in cold temps and I find them uncomfortable. I also like that the entire set up is all natural. I have no relation to this business but was happy with the product. Also bought a wool pillow that is now my favorite.

1 Like

I just ordered the 24" x 78" Hest mattress for $199. Hoping that works out well.

1 Like