Deep dive on improved mattress options

Hey all!

We’ll be releasing the new mattress configuration on Monday for purchase, with limited launch pricing (specifics at time of release).

It’s been in production for a little while now, and many customers already have it in their Platform Campers and RTT’s. Based on feedback during the design phase, and from new owners who have it in their builds, its incredibly comfortable all while preserving the Transform-A-Floor functionality!

10 Likes

This is rad! But I just bought the Hest setup and got a hard veto from the wife on this one. Can’t wait to see everyone’s feedback.

1 Like

I just got my camper yesterday and it came with these new mattresses and covers from GFC. I had no idea they were doing an update and was very pleasantly surprised by how comfy they are.

I agree with the above - the thicker mattress is nice, but I think the covers are just as important. The top material is stretchy and soft and lets you sink into the foam.

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for you to share some food pron with us :drooling_face:

back to the mattress topic… About freakin time. anything softer than cement is an upgrade.

1 Like

Here’s what I just got in, a 3" queen topper: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C8J55153?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

And below is a comparison picture between the GFC and the topper I ordered. The new topper is listed as very firm, but is a lot plusher than the GFC mattress. I just finished cutting up all of the pieces and putting them into the covers. But so far it feels more comfortable than the GFC. To go even further, you could probably add a 1/2" foam to it and it would fit just fine.

2 Likes

I was thinking of carpeting my panels like @GainzGFC (I did this with my iKamper and loved it), but I was just looking on Amazon and found 1/2" closed cell foam with adhesive backing. I’m kind of thinking of lining the panels with that. It’ll add a tad more cushioning, and should add a little insulation

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VZBVC95/ref=sw_img_1?smid=A3V8ZR3LBT5FQC&psc=1

3 Likes

@nat3060 - the link isn’t working for me, it just pushes me to my Amazon cart.

Try again!

1 Like

I would not use neoprene it puts off an odor can be rather substantial I used yoga mats cut them to size and will actually provide you more insulation. In addition, Just moving around will tear neoprene.
I also simply attach them with white Velcro. Just a few tabs along the edges works fine. This allows you to take them off if you actually do want to use any of the sections as a table or work area. I don’t have mattresses I removed all of the original I used tow ExPeds inflatable I can adjust any softness that I want or hardness. I can deflate them fold them in half and store quite a bit more in the bed area.
Just some thoughts for you

1 Like

I cut up some closed cell back backing mats from Thermarest. they make one that is 3/4 inch and it has been good for me. I am side sleeper

I ended up grabbing a couple of these from Amazon to use with the main pads I sleep on. I’ll just cut to size. I know they are short 4”, but it shouldn’t be a problem as far as effective coverage.

3.5” of plush cushion now.

Before I had the 2” GFC foam, 1.25” of super soft memory foam, and a 3/4” ozark trails accordion camp pad…. And that all fit (yet still wasn’t comfortable)

This combo feels great so far

2 Likes

I think that’s a good call. I think you’ll be happy with that. I haven’t been to active on the forum. I’ve done a lot of things to my rooftop tent. I just keep saying to myself I’m going to update everybody on everything I’ve done, but I never seem to be done, I can’t stop geeking out having fun with all the little goodies you can do to these things. Thanks for responding. I’ve seen your posts for quite some time which is why I reached out.

1 Like

Sometimes I sit in a chair and stare at the inside of the camper thinking of what I could do different. It’s like I NEED projects to do lol

4 Likes

just put the short end at your feet

Mattress pricing has dropped….

1 Like

Well that’s odd…the price has now changed?

Hello! The pricing is introductory for the community, we want to make sure everyone who wants it asap has a chance to order with good pricing. Turbo nap mattresses have been included with all builds since early September completion dates!

Here’s a review from one of many customers who have taken delivery over the last month.

2 Likes

Funny enough, @Buhlockaye and I were supposed to get it to review ahead of time.

The only thing I have done with it is felt it and laid on it. It’s certainly more comfortable than the old stuff but only sleeping multiple nights on it will tell.

Edit: compared to the Hest and what I felt, it’s comfortable. I have gone through probably 4-6 different mattress iterations though and am currently still on the Hest Dually Long which cost $400 on sale at REI. If this TurboNap Sleep mattress can compete with the Hest, it would be lights out.

I accept the nomination. I’ve done about 70 nights in the GFC and have gone through a handful of foam revisions over that time. I’d love to see what @GFC landed on and give some thoughts. But I also know they don’t need my input to sell that product. Folks will have faith in them and gobble it up, I’m sure.

I’ve got a 4k subscriber newsletter where I’ve written about my love of GFC before, and a 27k IG account, if that sways the powers that be at all.

4 Likes