DEET on panels?

They have a new formula out that works on flies I believe.

1 Like

Good to know. I’ll have to try one out.

We use the EX90 and it works really well. At this point, it comes along on every trip. Last weekend the flies were really bad where we were camping. Can’t say it kept them all away, but at least anecdotally, it helped some. We have switched from DEET to Picaridin, but still carry a small tube of DEET for extreme cases.

2 Likes

Us military uses permethin on uniforms to protect against bugs so there have been a few examples… then again we did test nuclear bomb effects on our soldier’s so not sure if that is a good or bad example

1 Like

Check out AliExpress for some cool rechargeable portable options options and cheaper pads for your thermacell, I have some USB pad heaters that work well for keeping everything out of the truck bed and tent

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256805353059542

1 Like

Great thread. Agree with Wes about DEET human safety. Agree with Thayne about picaridin being less greasy. Agree with all about permethrin. Do those thermacells really work? Seemed to good to be true!

Great thread for sure, @Nevadan!

I should elaborate a bit though. I’m not anti-deet and will rock it if I’m unable to buy what I personally prefer. I’ve just used a few deet products that caused skin irritation, and so far the picaridin products have been pretty effective. So while I might not like the idea of it eating away at products, the science around its use is solid.

1 Like

If you think discoloring your panels is bad, spray it on your headlights/tail lights/ or any other plastic components :wink:

2 Likes

Thermacells work pretty good for me… Gnats, Mosquitos and chiggers for sure… they only slow down the flys though

1 Like

I haven’t done much research on things like thermacells, but have had a few trips with terrible bugs this year and need to look into it!

I have also had deet completely destroy a dry bag that it was stored in, it’s gnarly stuff.

I have had pretty good luck with a thermacell. Only con is it takes awhile to warm up and start working in the area. However, after a good 30-45 minutes, I do notice a significant decrease in mosquitoes.

4 Likes

To be honest here, most of us carry some sort of electrical supply and some are pretty large. I have a small version of this that’s battery powered, but I think this might be a better idea if you’ve got the power for it. Plus you get the satisfying sizzle.

eb0

3 Likes

That bug zapper reminds me of growing up in Maine and cheering when a June Bug got zapped!

2 Likes

Brutal lol

These guys say use my medicinal doctor prescribed sleep medicine The Alcoholic Beverage That'll Keep Bugs Away While Camping

You can also get a candle lantern and use citronella candles, seems to help with the flies and mosquitoes but not much for gnats or chiggers

GFC got back to me and said I could get new panels (expensive) or just wrap mine. I might go for the latter. Any recommendations out there on wrap? I have a lunar rock Tacoma. I think it might be cool to have matching lunar rock panels, not sure yet though

That would be sick, I think you should color match and post the results.

@cmc looks like this might happen soon - just ordered some.

Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 7.57.15 PM

3 Likes

Going to look :fire::fire::fire:

I wrapped my passenger side panel today. The film I used is from APA and sold by Evolv. It’s the gloss option. I pulled the whole panel off the truck, and removed the locks. I used a heat gun to get the vinyl workable as I went around the panel.

Ignoring my less-than perfect wrap (mostly just lots of wrinkles from not putting it down perfect), the color is very close. The issue I’m seeing is that the vinyl will probably never stick perfectly to the texture on the powder coated GFC panel. While I’m generally happy with the results, I think the right way to do this job is to mask off the hinge, remove all other hardware, and have a shop paint the panels.

The fact that the vinyl works but doesn’t look as good as on a car makes sense. Almost cars have super glossy, smooth panels that the vinyl loves to attach itself to. The GFC panels are a different texture that the vinyl sticks to but will never fully conform to.

5 Likes