Diesel Heater for winter warmth!

Awesome build! Any idea of what elevation this heater will reliably operate at? Im looking for a way to keep warm at around 9500’.

Thanks

My Propex heater worked great in Cooke City last winter at 7,500- raises ambient about 20F -insulating panels with thinsulate would obviously help a lot

I plan to insulate for sure, my worry with propane is condensation. Any issues with that? What was the temp when you were there?

1 Like

@Tacofields that’s the beauty of these. The Propex HeatSource HS2000 (propane heater) like pictured above has a external intake and exhaust. No condensation, it’s vented outside! You just can’t see the intake and exhaust because they are on the bottom of the unit and are routed through the floor.

1 Like

Trout has it right - temps in Cooke in early December when I was there had lows around 12F

I’m pretty sure these work at that elevation

My game plan is to just cut a hole in the exterior wall of the camper and just have a quick disconnect like I did on my rover

Understood. Propex it is! Now if I can just source one🤣
Maybe OP can build out a propex version for us high altitude ski bums!

Just finished putting my gas heater in this weekend, just need to make a cover for it, and get the go fast back on. Decided to move the power plug up and welded together an aluminum box to case it in. Routed the air to the front of the bed through the bedside.

Ran the fuel pump to the trucks gas tank, so no extra fuel containers needed. Not sure if I will run it all the way upstairs or not, I want to see how it does just heating the area with just a floor square out.

4 Likes

Which brand did you get? It seems that the Chinese companies don’t make a decent gas heater that I have found. I really like your install location.

It’s a Webasto airtop 2000. Widely used in boats as a heating option, so far so good!

The location made the most sense to keep it out of the way, but I almost did the heater in a case option like some of the others above

Are you directing your heat with that plastic elbow? Double check the material, I hear PVC gives off toxic fumes when heated. Possibly abs too (at these temps).

Do you have any photos of the gas tank installation? That scares me a bit. The only reason I have held off on the gas Webasto is that I hear people have issues with them sooting up. I suppose buying from a reputable source with good support would go a long way.

I tried a regular dryer hose like you can get at home depot, and it got so hot that I could barely hold it.

These heaters get hot!!!

Anyone have ideas for a flexible hose that is somewhat heat resistant? I’ve seen silicone hose, but they are >$100. is that the only choice?

1 Like

Just get some of the heater pipe that is made for these. If you have a 2kw then you want 60mm diameter pipe, if you have a 5 or 8kw then you need 75mm diameter pipe. Just grab them cheap off ebay. Heres a link to one for a 2kw heater. I run a 60mm diameter, 180cm length for my breifcase build

That’s is what I used ^ to run it through the bedside, also an insulation cover for it which should both keep it nice and warm and protect anything around it from melting. I didn’t get any pics of the gas tank but I’ll be getting a long range tank soon and take some pictures of the process.

I’ll make sure to check the pvc pipe and bulkhead, thanks for thinking for me on that one!

How do you guys route the heat duct into the camper ?
Thru the floor somehow or duct thru the window?

I just installed a chinese diesel heater in my camper, turned out great. I managed to do it without cutting any permanent holes in the truck or camper, I removed the stock bed power plug and ran the exhaust out through that hole. Tank is in the ammo can, which is airtight and therefore hopefully will keep the camper from smelling like diesel.

I already had a 12v wire run to that corner so for the time being it’s just plugged in to that, but long term I’ll probably wire it to the battery on a separate wire so I can still use that plug for other stuff, and to avoid accidentally turning it off while running (which can melt the heater, if it can’t do the shutdown cycle). I have a big AGM battery (northstar) but NOT a dual battery system, and I was able to run the heater for about six hours in the evening and then again for 4 hours in the morning in my driveway the other day, and the truck still fired right up no problem at all. I do also have a jump starter pack just in case.

I’m stoked how it turned out, it definitely cranks out a lot of heat. I can’t wait for some ski resort camping.

5 Likes

Where did you get yours from?

Make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector.