Diesel Heater for winter warmth!

Amazon. I got one of the 5kw “all in one” units in the case even though I didn’t plan on using the case because I like the shape of the tank better than the flat tanks that come with a lot of the other kits.

Yeah I do have one, good call. Also I don’t plan to run it while sleeping, just for warming/drying ski gear in the evening and warming up in the morning.

It’s great that these cheaper models seem to be preforming as well as the high dollar ones and with endless styles and kits to choose from

Could you share a link of the one you got in the user because there’s a lot of scammers on Amazon with those heaters.

Yeah for sure, here’s a link to the one I bought but it seems to be no longer available. I just looked for one that was “prime” and shipped by Amazon (not some random seller). I figured that if it was already in Amazon’s warehouse rather than shipping from China that was probably safer.

What battery are you using to run this? I just bought the same heater. This will be the only device I’m really running

I have this one, it’s a rebranded Northdtar from what I can tell but it’s been great.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli27fagmdp

I am easily able to run the heater for a few hours at night and in the morning, as well as led lights. I’ve never gotten anywhere close to running it out as far as I can tell, truck always starts up no problem at all, but I also do have a jump starter pack just in case.

Here is the post @fatfurious2

1 Like

I am interested in this.

Update from this weekend, camped in temps of ~15F at night and ~30F during the day. Heater worked great. It dries the camper out incredibly well. We ran it hard for three days and went through about 5L of fuel. I did kill the battery once but had run it for quite a few hours (maybe ten or more total with three startup cycles) without starting the truck and also had lights and boot heaters running. That’s what the jump starter pack is for. All in all definitely super happy with it.

1 Like

I just bought one of these! It looks like the price just went up, and they are sold out. I like the 1-year warranty. I know I could build my own, but the most similar build on youtube cost the guy $450.

2 Likes

Will do! I like the buddy heater but it won’t work during ski season. I’ll need to be able to dry out gear.

1 Like

Im up in Washington, I live in Seattle area (Edmonds)

1 Like

I’m in the Seattle area as well, out in Issaquah

1 Like

I built my diesel heater for like $250 cad including the 5w heater from Amazon. Check mine out in my build post.

Works great in the winter, game changer really.

1 Like

Update after using for a year. At the end of last season the cap on the crappy Chinese diesel tank started to leak. I think it probably always leaked, I just never noticed. I had done a not super thorough job sealing the hole I drilled in the ammo can for the fuel line to exit (I used duct tape), so it leaked on to the carpet and made the camper smell like diesel.

Lesson learned. I cleaned it all out, got a new cap that doesn’t leak, and sealed the exit hole with jb weld designed for repairing fuel tanks. Hopefully this will hold up better.

Besides that, the heater is still working great. So nice to be able to wake up in the morning and flip it on to warm up, or dry out wet gear.

2 Likes

couldnt find in your build thread

that hole is not meant to be sealed. The fuel pump needs a vent so you dont crush your fuel tank. do you just crack the lid while running?

I know it’s not meant to be. The leak wasn’t through the vent valve, it had bad threads. I have not had issues with keeping the lid of the ammo can closed while running it, I think there is enough extra air volume in there to accommodate and/or the ammo can is not a complete airtight seal.

When I was referring to the hole I sealed with jb weld, I was talking about the hole I drilled in the bottom of the ammo can to allow the fuel line barb to exit the can