Diesel Heater for winter warmth!

Met with Ben and he had heard people were interested in his part, so he printed me one. Pretty simple, single flange that mounts to panel with a twist lock cover and vent that can be inserted on the interior. Nothing too crazy and some better options being investigated by @the_philxx and @keeganbuilds.

Nice guy and solid build on the heater. Looking forward to testing it out.

1 Like

is that a 60mm hole?

Yeah, 60mm ID. He is printing some twist on connectors for each end of the hot air hose used in his build that’ll fit over the connector pictured.

What about the bed? You can use fiberglass to patch in the event that you sell the truck.

Also I guess you don’t have the cubbies above the wheel wells like the older trucks?

You can totally swing by and use my printer IF you let me take some test measurements of a new product I’m launching for the GFC camper! Haha

1 Like

For me, the obvious location to put a nice hole in the camper is the top corner in the front wall, passenger side. Out of the way and easy to hook a 60mm heater duct into. I haven’t drilled yet…

It’s an easily reachable location for a portable diesel heater on the camper roof or prinsu style rack over the cab, or even the ground next to the truck. I have a DC fan mounted to the track in the camper to circulate air and leave one of the smaller bed panels out while sleeping.

Using Ben’s duct inlets or Webasto should be perfect.

2 Likes

What file ? I can whip that up in a few minutes

1 Like

So why not use a piece of 2-3" pvc? Is it different than a 3D printed piece?

Something like this:

PVC gives off chlorine gas when it burns/melts - it’s close of 56% chlorine by weight.

(CH2=CHCl)n

If you are running 5kw, you have a much higher risk of melting it or burning it which would be very dangerous.

2 Likes

So another option would be some sort of boat vent? Im not sure i have any boat places near me

ebay or amazon. 60mm heater ducting or 75mm heater ducting.

If the silicone ducting or the fancy super duper high temperature marine ducting wasn’t so expensive, I would be all over that so the regular ducting will have to do for now until I truly see a need for those.

Webasto (and off-brands) make a simple vent like this picture:

It would be quite simple to “hole saw” cut into the front panel, attach this with 3M UHB tape, seal around the edges with Lexel/silicone, and then cap it when not in use with one of these rubber caps:

Quite cheap and versatile! Though not as good for general ventilation as some people are looking for.

Assuming you get the Webasto or other legitimate brand, it should be safe with heat.

1 Like

Picked up my heater from Ben (@YonaAdventure) and showing internal and external config in the pictures. I’m a little worried about colocation of combustion intake (green) and exhaust (red). Thoughts? How worried should I be in current config?

Space is fairly limited and given location of fuel filter and pump, not sure relocating exhaust to the other side is doable in current configuration.

Was debating about seeing if he will work to reconfigure (he has already offered as such) or potentially changing up the intake pass through to route an external hose with filter similar to the Planar design.

And to be clear, Ben has been great to work with; indulging my engineer neurosis (aka OCD), constant and quick responses to my messages, etc.!

That exhaust gets extremely hot.

Also these heaters have been known to back fire exhaust fumes out of the combustion intake. Does he not run any sort of intake fan to keep components cool? Also why is he pulling breathing air from inside the case?

This was how I got past my own OCD lol

3 Likes

In looking at the Planar design they seem to pull breathing air from inside the box with vents built in the pull outside (the box) air.

I’ll be doing some testing to monitor temp and CO.

Is there a vent somewhere that I’m missing? Or do you run with the lid open?

There is on the door of the case. Grid of holes drilled with a cover/vent on the outside.

The new design has the exhaust on the other side of the case from where it is in the picture.

If cabin air intake is within the case, everything below the flange/base of the heater unit (combustion air inlet and exhaust) should absolutely be outside of the case.

They are in this instance, but exit the case on the same side.