F8 and the Art of Being There- GFC Photography Club

And one star circle:

5 Likes

Nice night shots. Here are a couple of mine from the night before the eclipse

And a squirrel became we need more squirrel

5 Likes

Almost went out into the West desert last Wednesday as well… ended up dealing with a rear main seal on my daughters car instead. Nice shots!

1 Like

Super late to the party and had been posting on the other photo thread. The GFC/truck is the only way I’d get to 90% of my favorite places right now so while it’s not the reason I bought in the first place it sure helps the new passion.

14 Likes

@1derwomansapprentice those are some great shots of NRG! I miss that place so much, used to go climbing there multiple times a year and this really makes me want to get my butt back out there. I understand a lot has been developed since I was there last and the camping options are better. I’ll always miss Rogers Rockytop Resort though.

1 Like

Spent a long day recently with the GFC as my photo blind

Not that porcupines actually care if you are around but much more comfortable in the back of my truck waiting the hours until he decided to move

5 Likes

The camper totally helps. Mt Shasta, October 2023. Shot off the Girard Ridge Lookout

8 Likes

I’m a new member and landscape photographer from Texas. I’ve been using a 4WD 4Runner for the last five years. It gets me everywhere I need to go but I find it severely lacking for sleeping. I’m looking at trading it for a 4-door, Tacoma TRD Pro and rigging it with the GFC Platform.

I’m interested in your thoughts on also using the platform to shoot from when elevation is needed, and also using the tent as a blind for wildlife photos. I see Ansel Adams on top of his wagon and figure if shooting off the roof of his vehicle was good enough for him, why shouldn’t I do it? Of course, the real bonus is being able to get a decent night’s sleep in the backcountry and being able to move quickly. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or experiences you have with these uses of the GFC Platform. Bottom line, is it worth it?

Seeing how I use my GFC as a photo platform and blind pretty consistently I find it to be awesome. GFCs are minimalist - not a lot of bells and whistles - if you are looking for plush comfort this ain’t it. But for tough, quick, light and functional they are awesome.

If on the roof you need to have the beef bars and some plywood to stand/ sit on as you can’t just sit on the plastic roof.

Shooting from in the bed with some netting hanging down and the side doors open is a great blind, can also stand and shoot out of the tent windows

The GFC side panel access is great for storing photo gear in the bed and getting to it quickly.

Great info, Scott. I’ll look into the beef bars. I definitely prefer minimalist and as lightweight as possible. I haven’t looked at tent colors, yet, Do they make anything in camo or drab colors?

No clue, black works fine for me