Flush Mounted Wedge RTT on GFC Topper?

Does anyone know if a wedge RTT can be flush mounted on the GFC topper? Instead of using beef racks, which raise the RTT off the topper, I’m thinking some custom side brackets that tie into the t-slots of each would work, as long as the RTT is the same width as the topper.

The goal is to achieve the same look and form factor of a GFC platform camper but closer to the cab height. I’m willing to give up the floor pass-through.

I really want a platform camper but my garage opening is 2" too short to fit one on my lifted 3rd gen Tacoma on 35s.

The problem with every platform camper on the market is the wasted space between the cab roof and the overhanging RTT.

Thanks for any insight.

3 Likes

Excited to see what comes of this.
I don’t have much feed back, but I do like where you head is at (no pun intended).

The GFC RTT mounts off the side extrusion, so it would work as long as the width is accounted for. But realistically, you’re probably gonna run into the shark fin antenna before you make up 2+ inches. Pretty sure the 3rd gen camper is packaged as close to the antenna as appropriate.

1 Like

Yeah I figured I’d have to shave down/remove the shark fin to pull this off.

If you went to 265/75 r16s youd be able to fit with a platform camper! Lol

2 Likes

Good news is that doesn’t affect functionality from our experience & feedback, even on 4Runners where the antenna is completely covered by the RTT.

1 Like

I ended up pulling the trigger on this setup a couple of weeks ago; GFC topper and Platform RTT. I’ll post the result when I get everything installed. Can’t wait!

3 Likes

Finally got this done the other day. I used two sets of GFC’s Outrigger blocks that come with the Platform RTT and sandwiched them together with some 3/8 hardware, plus some spacers to support the relief cutout between the holes. Also used dowels in place of the existing threaded holes for more shear strength. Should be solid.

Looks like I should have enough clearance over the cab for frame flex. Super stoked with the result.

14 Likes

Curious why you took this approach versus just getting the platform camper.

Either way, looks like a really solid setup!

EDIT: I reread your original post, which clearly answers my question.

1 Like

I think its cool you could remove the camper if you dont want it on there.
Seems strange, but I also realize that you’re probably in need of a camper at times and other times you dont need it.
Everyone has their own vibration, wants and needs.
For me, i like standing in the back of the bed.

I have also seen some trucks where the space between the camper bottom and the top of the truck seems like a lot of space… specifically i think thats true for some of the yotas… but thats totally my oppion…

1 Like

I don’t tend to camp from July through September so I’ll remove the RTT during the “off season”.

It noticeably affects COG and aerodynamics/MPG.

1 Like

That setup looks legit! I just picked up my topper and might have to do a similar setup part time :call_me_hand:t3:

1 Like

Just be sure the topper will raise the RTT high enough above your cab. Not sure if it’s higher than the roof on F150s.

Mine is close but doesn’t hit off road, thankfully.

3 Likes

Absolutely, I’ll be sure to triple check. It appears to go just above the cab but definitely very close.

a setup like this with transform a floor would be epic. is there any plans for the future even if it’s just talk in the planning room?

Soooo, not the Platform Camper?

In all seriousness, this low profile look is rad, but as for any convos going on in-house… :zipper_mouth_face:. Killer work and quite the solution for your use case, @greymachine.

5 Likes

I’ve been looking at getting a topper for my 2010 DCSB Tacoma and wanted to stick my CVT Mt. Hood on top (without using the loadbars). This almost answered my question, however I’m curious how wide the roof is for the Tacoma toppers. My Mt. Hood is 55" (+/-)
Either way, I’m pretty certain I’d get a GFC topper.

The Topper for Tacomas is 53" wide at the roof (which is also the width of the Platform RTT).

You’ll need to source/fabricate a custom mount to make the Mt Hood sit flush.

If I could get the outrigger blocks from the platform camper, I bet I could fabricate something to make it fit snug :wink:

Nice setup @greymachine !! I’m looking to do something very similar on my 3rd gen Tacoma.

Did you remove/modify the shark fin antenna?
Can you measure the height from the bed rails to the top of the RTT?

1 Like