Gas Mileage Effects

has anyone actually tested this to see what the MPG gain is? If it can help negate the 2 mpg drop, its totally worth it.

you can see how the prinsu at least fills that gap between the roof and the camper…

4 Likes

I’ve tracked my fuel mileage for years. V6 DCSB Tacoma, heavily modified. I’ve averaged 12.602 mpg since adding the GFC 3939 miles ago. The preceding 4039 miles I averaged 12.764 mpg. To me that’s just the slop in daily driving so there was no appreciable difference with the setup of my truck.

2 Likes

The prinsu habitat rack will fit with the GFC?

should work almost perfectly…

compare how far back past the front door it goes…

and where the camper sits on a 2nd gen dcsb

3rd gen dcsb
31-PM

even the access cabs could use that one… you’d still have to request the access cab hardware to modify the roof for a roof rack. https://tctmagazine.net/july-2015-volume-8-issue-3/prinsu-designs-accessrac

1557942151%20(1)

or just trim down the full rack to fit like i did…

habitat already installed with one here actually… Roof Rack on Cab

small notching needed

It works, but there’s a very small amount of real estate on a short bed

Yeah I saw the guy with a 3rd gen had to trim his a bit. Doesn’t make sense for me to buy a new prinsu and cut it down if I can just cut mine.

I’m really just looking to use it to mount my maxtrax on after getting the GFC and keep running my adapt LB

Cutting it down was very easy… i kept it at the level of the bottom of the slots… so the cuts were pretty easy connecting the dots. That’s where my maxtrax will be too… i don’t want those inside after being used

Tundra, 35" tires, and I loose 1.5MPG at 75MPG with the GFC on the back.

So I’ve been looking around for a rack that works on a double cab long bed (DCLB) as there is less camper overhang on this set up. The Prinsu Habitat is too short and leaves a big gap. Others seem too long and would need to be trimmed. The Martin Offroad Camper Rack is designed for either a short bed or long bed tacoma and they said they have a longer camper rack designed for the DCLB roof that uses the Tacoma factory mounting points. The Sherpa Animas (version D) also fits the DCLB with a GFC - so my question is, has anyone put The Martin Camper Rack or the Sherpa Animas on a DCLB and noticed either an increase in gas mileage or a degrease in gas mileage? As this is my daily driver, MPG matters to me more and I’m wondering if the rack helps to direct air over the camper or if it just creates more drag (without anything mounted on the rack, like on the way to work).

• Or in other words, can I use MPG as my excuse for buying a rack?

The rack won’t affect MPG, just wind noise

1 Like

We have been told by a few customers of ours that they actually see an increase in MPG after installing our Animas Rack in front of their GFC.

Any feedback on how many MPGs?

Just installed on my 2020 RAM 1500 and saw a drop of 3 MPGs. The 5th gen RAMs have a super low drag coefficient so I think that’s why it was such a big difference. I also have a significant whistle but am hopeful that maybe it is the beef racks and I can move them back or remove them when not needed maybe. Definitely worth it still but was hoping to see less of a MPG loss and less noise.

1 Like

I have the 2018 classic 1500. Same MPG drop.

How is the ride for you?

Oh interesting. That makes me feel better that it is a normal drop. Ride seems great to me so far. Haven’t really noticed it back there. You?

The only thing I’ve noticed is it actually ride better BUT is a bit squishier on bumps
Etc. I am going to upgrade to Bilstein 4600 shocks to eliminate this. Overall super stoked on it. I only
Hope when it comes
Time for a new truck in the future I try to replace trucks at about 200,000-250,000 that GFC will still be chugging. Otherwise I will need to get a truck with the same dimensions.
Really pleased w all aspects.

Has anyone seen an MPG increase with a fairing like this? I have a diesel Colorado and took a sizeable hit with the GFC. I was up around 27 MPG highway pre-GFC and now get about 22 MPG.