GFC Ladies and Gents who are not in the West -Where are you?

Now I don’t know whether to take that in a good way or a bad way :joy:

lol - the good way. You’re an active guy in the community and that generates more activity from others.

1 Like

Congrats on the retirement and that 75% pay. Now you have the best rig to wane away the days camping and fishing. :fist:t3:

1 Like

Howdy!!
We’re in OKC, too! I’ve been holding out on signing up for the forum until we actually have our tent, but I was too excited when I came across this thread and another Okie.
We’re actually transplants from NV and CA originally but came here from FL 2+ years ago. We pick up our platform RTT for our 4Runner in a week and a half. :star_struck:
We are looking forward to exploring our kinda-new region in our tent. Any tips or recs are welcome. The 4Runner is just a stock SR5, so she’s got to be able to get there.
Will definitely post a proud-mounted-tent-owner photo soon!
Cheers!

2 Likes

Ive already posted too, but Im in/near Leesburg VA

2 Likes

That’s awesome! I’m super stoked for y’all And to have another OKIE! -Nerdy history bit- if you weren’t aware, Okie’s are called such because during the Dust Bowl many went west and flooded California, more specifically Ventura Valley and the Californian’s started referring to them as Okies - so all the Oklahoma’s who talk smack about Cali are really kinda bashing themselves…in a sense…sorry for the segue. lol

I have tons of recommendations, however nearly every one of them results in a trip to the Ouachita’s haha. I am happy to share anytime - send a PM whenever and I can set you up with some coordinates. Most can be reached without any trouble and it’s all rock so no worries about getting stuck, well - one would have to try real hard, but could manage if motivated…

As for other campers here, I’ve only seen one RTT since, well ever, other than at the shop - but in OKC specifically. There is a troop at Ft. Sill who has a camper, but no idea who he/she is. Are y’all driving up to MT to get the RTT installed? It’s a great trip from here. You’re going to love the camper, it’s super functional and strong enough for all the crazy OK weather. I’ve really enjoyed mine, and am sure thatyou will as well.

Holler whenever, and enjoy!!!

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome! So I suppose it’s fitting to call myself an Okie as a former Cali gal? :rofl:
We are headed to Belgrade to pick up the tent. We’re going through KS and CO the fastest route there and then taking our time on the way back through Yellowstone and Grand Teton. I haven’t planned past there but as long as we have time, thinking about going through Western-Southern CO and NM. I want to leave a little room for spontaneous adventures. Lander has also been highly recommended by a couple people. We’ll see where the road takes us and what the weather is doing.
This is our 6th anniversary trip/celebration. We were married in the Sierras in South Lake Tahoe, so all anniversaries for us must incorporate mountains or lakes, lol. Our little tradition.
I’ll definitely hit you up when we get back for some spots in the Ouachitas! I’ve got several pins there on the want to go list. We’ve been to Broken Bow/Beaver Lake, but that’s about it. We’ve got a tandem kayak we need to put to use as well.
Cheers!

1 Like

Ask the guys in the shop where to camp for the first night, they have lots of great input for local spots. Definitely stop off in Lander (my brother lives there, I love to visit). Hit the Gannett Grill, stop off in Wild Iris Mountain Sports to pick up any gear, talk to the people in there for good places to camp. You can camp at the city park and do a little disc golf…or go visit Sinks Canyon State Park and drive up into the southern tip of Shoshone National Forest to properly exercise the new camper. If you’ve got time, it’s a wonderful location for a couple nights backpacking.
Other potential locations to stay a night - Look up Vedauwoo Climbing Area in Medicine Bow National Forest. About halfway between Cheyenne and Laramie along I-80. Skip the actual campground and go down Forest Road 700, you will find tons of dispersed camping spots. If you need a simple overnight spot, the town park in Campo, CO is actually really neat. Stayed there in July when I was driving up to get my hinges replaced (finally!).
New Mexico - Where to start… Look up the Resumidero Campground in Santa Fe National Forest (not so much a campground as an open field with a couple vault toilets). Love this spot. There is a trail that leads from the campground into the San Pedro Parks Wilderness area. Right about now there are wild raspberries ripe for the picking along the trail. The campground gets annoyingly full on the weekends, so only go here for Sunday-Thursday nights. Carson National Forest has several great spots too, but nothing that jumps out in my mind right now. Basically, go explore the area, find dispersed camping spots, and don’t share them. :smiley:
If you are willing to drop a little south in New Mexico, I would point you to Ft. Stanton Snowy River Cave National Conservation Area. BLM land surrounded by the Smokey Bear district of Lincoln National Forest. Smokey Bear State Park is nearby, where the actual bear was found…and the historic town of Lincoln (i.e. Billy the Kid and the Lincoln County Range Wars) is just down the road as well.
IF you go that far south, then on the way home I would suggest coming up through Amarillo, then taking a quick jaunt up to Lake Meredith to stay a night. Right now, the Blue West Campground is likely to be the better choice. National Park Service runs all the campgrounds around the lake, and except for a few electrified sites for RVs in one of the campgrounds, all the sites are free. No matter which campground you stay at, swing around to either Fritch Fortress or Sanford-Yakes campgrounds and you can grab a shower in the bathrooms there (showers are also free!). On your way out, check out the Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument. I live about an hour south in Canyon and run up to the lake all the time for quickie overnighter camps.
Just some thoughts given where you said you might go on the way home. No matter where you end up going, post a trip report when you get home!

4 Likes

I believe that would be an accurate depiction of oneself in this situation :rofl: Congratulations on the anniversary as well, sounds like a great tradition! I think you’ll have a great trip any direction you decide to go. @d0bhran has a really great group of suggestions. Being general westerners anyhow, I think that you’ll use that great west knowhow to make for a phenomenal trip!

You’ll have a great time. I went through up towards Dalhart, Raton/Trinidad, then north on I25. I like driving by Capulin National Monument because, volcanoes are cool :slight_smile: I only stayed on I25 until I got to Denver and picked my way up the back highways camping in the National Forests and BLM land. I crossed the eastern side of WY on the way there, then Yellowstone, western side on the way home to Flaming Gorge and a few other places. It was a great trip. If you’re heading through NM, I highly reccomend stopping by the Valles Caldera, Bandolier National Forest, and of course Los Alamos where one can be irradiated on the drive through as my IgMet professor used to say.

Have fun!!!

1 Like

Wow! Thank you for all the info!! I’m really digging the community welcome!
NM is within decent reach of OK, and is also a good mid-point between us and our west coast friends. In other words, it’s not if, it’s when we’ll be exploring there.
We also disc golf! Awesome that you mention it. Sounds like Lander is a must.
Thank you again and I can’t wait to report back. :sunglasses: Saturday can’t come soon enough.

1 Like

Your trip sounds awesome! What a backyard we have.

Thanks so much for the congrats and well wishes. Can’t wait to share how it goes!

1 Like

Columbus, Ohio… V2 Build #1880

2 Likes

Nice setup! -20characters

Thanks!!! It’s changed a bit since I took that picture!

Figured this post needed to revive a little. A question for those of us in/around OK…has anyone run this? Thinking about doing it sometime soon.

2 Likes

is there a map anywhere?

edit: nevermind

The gpx files are supposed to be maintained in a thread on ADVRider’s forum. Google found it for me a while back. Here’s a general map of it. I downloaded the gpx file a while back and have it living amongst all my private files in GaiaGPS. As such, my file may be out of date, I don’t know. If anyone can’t find it, I do remember a little of what I was taught in kindergarten and can share it somehow…

2 Likes

I never knew I wanted to visit Oklahoma until now

4 Likes

That looks AWESOME! I’d be down to run. I’m having a total shoulder this week so will be unable to for January and most of February, but if anyone is willing for the March timeframe, I’d be up for it!

Enjoy the 12 dollar awning :slight_smile:

This weekend’s trip to the Ouachita’s-

1 Like

ok I’ll bite… $12 awning

also, did my wife’s dog follow you home? Boxer/American Bulldog mix? 100% handsome