GFC V2 Review: Good and Bad

the V1 had issues right up till the end, people are having doors fall off due to the powder coat / glue failure a few months after picking up their camper. you should be able to buy a camper and other than small checks (like the attachment to the bed) be able to run it. it shouldn’t be about ‘well they will fix it’ - thats my thought

9 Likes

great point and very well said

1 Like

Sucks to hear, hopefully the new bar system is ironed out by the time the topper is released. I want a larger sleeping area but love the GFC panel system too much to give them up.

Thanks for sharing your story, mine was very similar. I waited for a year for my camper and was happily switched to the new V2. I drove through one of the worst blizzards I’ve ever been in my life to get there for the install to find out that they had the wrong camper built for me. I have a gen 2 Tacoma and they had built a camper for a gen 3 taco. The good news is the only difference is the back rear panel or door. They told me they would send this to me later and it is supposed to arrive today nearly a month since my install. Now I have to switch out latches and hinges and struts to replace my rear door which I can do but it is frustrating since I paid close to $8K for both the camper and accessories to include the beef bars and flight deck. Half of the accessories were not ready. They had to ship the beef bars to me two weeks later, and I’m still waiting on the track nuggets. The install crew actually took pictures of the clearance between the tent and the rear antenna on my taco because they were happy that it actually fit. This is frustrating since I know this company can design and build a quality unit and I paid a lot of money and waited a long time for it. To arrive and find out that it is the wrong camper with half of the accessories missing is frustrating to say the least. I then had to turn around and drive back through a blizzard for two days to get home. I like what I have, I just wish this company would learn how to treat customers better along with improving manufacturing. Even the free T-shirt I got with the camper was the wrong size because they didn’t have anything but small.

1 Like

Man…sorry to hear that. Like many others have said, GFC is an awesome company that seems to have good customer service in fixing issues. However, with the price you’re paying, these mistakes should not be happening…period. I get that there will be issues in transitioning to a new product and growing as a company but not like what you’ve experienced. Unfortunately your story is not the only one.

I hope they make it right for you going forward. I would voice your displeasure directly with the company if you haven’t already. It certainly creates a level of anxiety for those of us picking up campers in the next couple months with newer models and “hoping” that their product is correct fit etc. I hope all works out for you. Please post an update when you feel is necessary on how everything worked out for you.

To those getting future installs, call or email ahead. Talk to someone 2 weeks out to ensure that your camper is correct and your total order will be there too. Be proactive. Especially if you’re making a long trip.
I recently spent a whole day waiting for my hinge install and watched 4 installs. There was one instance of a missing flight deck order. Missing orders may be common, IDK. It seems like there’s a lot of moving parts on GFC’s end.

Peace.

4 Likes

I would also recommend ordering all accessories like beef racks and awning or universal brackets seperate from the camper. Those will ship to you directly and arrive long before the camper is ever ready. Also sheets too! In other words don’t add those to the same cart when you put your deposit on the camper.

3 Likes

I have now been using my V2 for one month and I’m pretty happy with the build quality and camper features. I have one major complaint: water ingress at the main bulb seals. Heavy rain on two occasions has resulted in water seeping beneath the camper frame. Truck is 2017 Tacoma so I did substantial prep work against water/dust ingress, beneath the plastic bed trim and the top corners nearest the cab. It is disappointing to be getting leakage where I wouldn’t expect it.

One minor complaint is that GFC should have updated the front fixed window to match the wider opening between cross braces on the new V2 frame. Perhaps they will, after they deplete their glass inventory. Seems kinda cheap to me.

4 Likes

How are folks getting the power to the strip lights on the honeycomb roof from the bed? I just picked up a V2, but don’t seem a way to route it, any clowe up pics from anyone?

There usually are not lights in the roof. I think those were only installed on a one-off for their videos.

There is a pre-existing hole for running wires in the front, driver side corner of the bed. If you lift the large cushion it should be right there. At least in the V1’s. I would imagine they continued that into the V2’s.

:call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

1 Like

Was talking about the Jack Gecko strip LEDs folks are putting on the tent roof (inside) Somehow posted in this thread.

Look in to TruckParts.part they have a duel red and white LED light that is dimmable.

4 Likes

But since we’re on the V2 good/bads…

I dislike the spacing and # of the mounting points tbey put on the inside of the frame. Nice to hang d-loops from, but the spacing is terrible near the rear. With how many folks mount cargo nets to those, It would have been nice to have a few more options for the net. As laid out from the factory, the mounts aren’t deep enough to really provide any utility with the net, would have liked to 3 mount points on the driver passenger side frame, vs 2…they have 3 across the back.

You’re not alone with your accessories. I’m still waiting for an update on stuff I ordered over a month ago. After multiple delays they told me they would be shipped the week of March 22. This week is about to be over and haven’t heard anything yet. Emailed them twice this week but haven’t heard back. Call them several times, no response. Left a message and no call back.

Honestly, this is one of the worst experiences I’ve had in recent memory with ordering a product. Wondering how much longer they can keep operating like this.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about your experience. I’m still dealing with mine. I finally received my rear door that fits my truck and they sent me the wrong quarter turn screws to attach it with. They finally came in today and I picked up my camper in February. I’m still waiting on my track nuggets that are supposedly waiting on anodization. Seems like they’ve been waiting on these for over a year. I like my camper so far but have not fully tested it for leaks, etc.
This company is making huge strides with their manufacturing processes but along the way they are forgetting the most basic thing, customer service.
I will not ever again give somebody $7000 months in advance and then get treated this way. I placed my deposit on February 5, 2020 and picked it up over a year later. And I still don’t have all of my product. That is 100% crap.

9 Likes

This to me is 100% unacceptable. I had the same issue. After the long wait, half of my accessories were not ready and had to be shipped months later. Seriously, do they not plan these things in advance.
They talk about trying to do all in-house manufacturing, made in the US, paying their employees competitive salaries, etc. etc., but if you can’t keep customer satisfaction that’s all pointless.
I 100% rather buy something that is built outside of the US if it means the customer experience is much better. As opposed to ‘customer service sucks but it’s made in the US so I guess I’ll suck it up’.

2 Likes

I’m sure they had a big backlog, in fact I’m positive of it and now they’re trying to deliver as many units as possible even if the order isn’t complete. My guess is they need to help pay for those brand new robotic machines. Understandable, but if you can’t deliver what I paid for in advance please at least tell me in advance.

2 Likes

Great point. I am not making any excuses for GFC at all as I can appreciate them making solid efforts to grow, expand and offer a better product. What seems to be missing here is transparency. I am not in your position so I don’t want to speak for anyone who has received incomplete product but I would imagine if there was more communication and transparency up front, it would be a little different story. The fact that people are showing up thinking they are getting a completed camper (with all paid for accessories) and that is not the case is frankly unacceptable for the money being spent. It just shouldn’t be that way.

What seems to be compounding the problem is that they are making promises of a fulfilled order down the road (already frustrating) and following that up by either going MIA or even further delays. Being open an honest is the best policy and like I said above, I can completely understand the pains of growing/offering a newer product, but keep those customers who are propping you up informed about what they paid for. It doesn’t have to be elaborate, but there shouldn’t be “surprises” like this along the road. Just my two cents. Hope you guys get it resolved asap. Thanks for sharing these stories.

2 Likes

i would take a guess that ‘most’ of these wedge style campers are made in the USA, i know vagabond outdoors are, super pacific - at a guess AT overland (summit) is. i could be wrong.