GFC V2 Review: Good and Bad

Reading all the post that followed the above report , I believe that the only way the bolts will back out would be if the corner joints are dealing with flex. Just looking at the design, if they insist on screws instead of buck rivits or other regonized superior fasteners, then I believe that the internal bracket must be made at double or triple the length they are now. They’re just too weak at the current length. Picture a shovel handle that only went into the blade mount 3 inches. Snap!

After all, those brackets are the only part of the junction relied on to support the frame. Make them 16 long and it ain’t going to come loose, especially if a hammer is needed to drive them into the tubes - close tolerances. Then the screws would simply be playing a less vital or cursory role at best and be relieved of the stresses from flex.

Perhaps with V3 they can switch to hydroforming a frame that would eliminate all of the convoluted parts involved in the current extruded rail design. Imagine a side opening formed in one piece like the frame rails of a Silverado pickup. May be ridged enough to eliminate the cross bracing - which makes it look like a patch or after thought rather than a design solution. Not to mention the disadvantages of obstructing access to the bed.

I can understand how the current method makes switching between various size beds and cab angles cost effective, but that convenience is hurting their customer’s confidence,as evidenced by this thread existence, which shouldn’t exist in the first place…

Interesting take. I have V1 so it really doesn’t matter to me but I would think a little adhesive would go a long way…

Current build progress. I ran lights down both sides of camper and in the top of the tent. Wiring came out super clean. I ran all my wires through 3m bulb seal, it looks factory im stoked. Currently, in progress of building the drawer system and wiring up my pump and water level sensor for my water tank. GFC is coming out to fix my hinge that broke, stoked on that too.

3 Likes

Hinge that broke what… You have a V2 how did your hinge break?

4 Likes

Yeah the latch that holds tent portion down. It does not lock on one side so when driving the tent whips out the side and is only being held down by the ones side. GFC thinks its just an issue with the machining of the latch. They are replacing it for me

1 Like

They are coming to you for the fix? Bummer on the part and I thought maybe this design was bomb proof but that’s cool.

1 Like

the latch at the rear of the camper?

:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

Not stoked to hear of these issues they are having. I get that they are developing and growing but stuff like this should have been addressed. Its just a flat out bad look even though they are fixing it.

2 Likes

it could be a 1-off. Maybe the robot was having a bad day?

2 Likes

Yes they are coming out with their white glove service when they drop other people campers

Thanks for the honest review. About to order a V2 and appreciate the info.

Hey, did you by chance get this fixed with the leaking? Or figure out how to fix it yourself?

Camper has been better after getting everything fixed. Most recent thing that happened was that the lifting strut for the tent sheared off. GFC was super cool about sending me out replacement parts to fix it and FaceTime me to help explain how. Extremely hard to compress the strut to try and replace it while keeping the tent at the right angle. After 50 tries of using a ratchet strap to keep strut compressed it worked out.

Back in action now. Added some KC cyclones as rear scene lights.

1 Like