Got the new Turbo Nap mattress

Have you looked at the overland soft goods? That was a game changer for me. I was in the same boat with not sleeping well on the stock mattress. The foam topper and flannel sheets from osg was an incredible upgrade.

5 Likes

Totally 100% agree with everything. I think before doing the OSG foam topper and then buying multiple variations of other foam in an attempt to fix the mattress, I had spent close to $300. I finally got frustrated and went the Hest root cause after 2-3 consecutive nights my back, shoulders, and hips killed. I scored the Hest for $400 which I should have done from the beginning (this was before the turbo nap was released as well).

2 Likes

You know I considered it but I didn’t understand that it was a foam addition. I thought it was just sheets.
I couldn’t exactly understand what was provided without item list or install video.
Do I have to buy a foam set then a fitted sheet set or is it all in one?

Nice! I bought a used PuffPad and it is comfortable along with a wedge pillow and a side pillow but I can’t move around in the tent and bed without great effort. The one piece pad stifles everything. I think the HEST would be the same for me.
I saw your video and it looked good and folded away easily but It’s basically the same disfunction from the design I bought with the GFC, a forma-floor. Not getting what I paid for is the problem. A super hard pad is a defect I didn’t anticipate. You cannot sleep on it, I tried and it just wasn’t functional. They fixed the defect and now want $700 to “upgrade” to what it was supposed to be.
This is why those who bought just prior to the fix should get a reduced pricing through a graduating pricing plan.

2 Likes

I’m with you on that Jeff. We got our camper in August, about a month before the TurboNap started being included, so that is a little frustrating. If I’d have known it was coming I would have pushed off my build. The standard mattress is way too firm for me even with the OSG topper. I just bit the bullet and ordered the TurboNap on the last day of the Black Friday sale so at least I got 10% off. I considered other options but I’m a bit older and I have to ahem get up in the middle of the night every night and don’t want to struggle with wrestling a full size mattress out of the way. I could get a ladder but then the cost of a ladder plus a decent mattress like the Hest ends up being more than the TurboNap and I really wanted to keep the functionality of the Transformafloor. I’ve got another 4-6 weeks to wait before delivery and I’m really anxious to give it a try. It sounds like it’s a significant upgrade - I sure hope so!

1 Like

Yeah I know that problem well, lol. My trouble is I’ve already spent significant money (to me) to correct the problem. I’ve bought a Ladder, it’s no good, feet can’t handle it. PuffPad is nice but it’s cumbersome and destroys mobility in the truck bed defeating the excellent transforma floor design.
Now we’ve gotta pay again to get the fix for the problem with the original design. I agree it’s an upgrade for us and it costs them to implement so a graduated price scale should be a no brainer to a company that prides itself on delivering on design and great customer service.
I’m not saying bankrupt the company but at least acknowledge that you sold us a design you knew didn’t work and needed to be fixed. You fixed it, but we have to bear all the cost. Retrofitting the 2023’s at a graduated price would be a good move.

It’s all in one. You get the foam pre cut for the floor and the sheets for each.

1 Like

I also believe that you can resell the ladder if you don’t like it and hopefully you bought the pad from rei so you can return that as well, if you go with the overland soft goods route.

1 Like

I personally love the mattress with the OSG topper, but I also liked it from the factory. Mattresses are impossible to please everyone.

3 Likes

Very true. I found the OSG foam to make little difference and I still wake up with a very sore lower back. One free solution that I found on the trip that I’m currently on: around the 3 week mark it sees like my back finally stopped complaining so maybe the solution is to just take the GFC on longer trips. :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah me having an infant at home could have something to do with why i sleep so great when in the GFC :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My TurboNap came in ahead of schedule right before Xmas and just in time for my New Years trip. After 2 nights I can say it was well worth it and GFC really knocked it out of the park with this one. I am completely stoked and feels like I just got a new camper all over again.

I was coming from the old mattress + the Overland Softgoods 1" topper which definitely helped but was still not quite enough for me as a side sleeper.

As mentioned previously, the combination of the new foam AND the new covers is what will ultimately set this option above all others that still allow you to preserve the transformafloor versus like a Hest or Exped. The new covers appear to be maybe a tad thinner with a lot more give that really allows you to get the most out of the foam while still offering protection as well. Paired with the OS flannel sheets you’re in for a great nights sleep. I also noticed that it insulates better and kept me nice and warm.

The only negatives I’d have are the cost, while its a hefty price tag I believe its well justified considering what you get with the tranformafloor integration. And the new foam had a slight odor that you might want to let air out before installing. Ill also mention it may take you an extra 30 seconds to tuck everything in when closing up though that also applies to the OS topper as well. And you probably wont be able to store much if any bedding up there, I didn’t try, but honestly if you don’t have room to spare for a blanket in your truck then you’re binging too much shit with you anyways. I’d rather sleep better for 8hrs than spare 2 mins packing up a blanket/sleeping bag and some pillows.

So, If you are like me and need that extra comfort and don’t want to sacrifice the transformafloor ability I would say go for it and you wont be disappointed. This is the best its gonna get and its pretty damn good.

6 Likes

I’ve had the Turbo Nap since late November, and after about ten nights sleeping on the Turbo Nap, finally put together a review.

My bottom line:

• It’s a big level up in comfort from V1. This is not just my opinion. I’ve camped with friends/non GFC owners on both mattresses and they noticed the new one immediately.
  • After using the Turbo Nap, I couldn’t/wouldn’t go back to the old mattress.
  • If you like the stock transform-a-floor functionality, I think it’s your best, most compact, least hassle option.
  • Every single part of it is softer (even the straps) and it works as a system. It’s more than just adding foam.
  • I swear it’s warmer than the old mattress because it conforms well to my body.
  • I would buy one with my own money today if GFC asked for this one back.
  • I think new camper owners are getting a great deal.

If you have any questions, fire away.

8 Likes

My turbo nap upgrade arrived the other day, and while I haven’t been camping with it yet, I have done several ‘nap’ comparisons on the bedroom floor. I agree with the above review that it is pretty difficult to accurately describe the difference, but I think Vice_Chief did a great job. The difference is obvious from first contact, and it definitely seems like the overall improvement is due as much to the new foam as it is the new cover material. I too was one who was able to get a good night’s sleep on the original mattress, but I still feel like it was worth the $$$ to upgrade. While I definitely like the new covers for comfort it will be interesting to see if the new cover material holds up as well as the old. While it is much more comfortable and ‘quieter’, it doesn’t feel like it would hold up as well if you are a user that is frequently relocating it into the bed of the truck or maybe even outside to use as a bench cushion…but I have other cushions for that so I expect mine will stay up in the tent area. I would also be concerned about pets on the new covers. As soon as I had the foam in the first cover my cat took an immediate interest, and she was immediately banished. I didn’t always leave my Overland Softgoods sheet set on the old cushions unless we were going for an overnight but I probably will with these. All in all I’m happy with the upgrade.

2 Likes

Got my TurboNap a week ago and will be taking the first trip with it tomorrow. I’m looking forward to it - the difference vs the old mattress plus OSG topper is so obvious right away, just by hand feel. I’ve really struggled to sleep comfortably on the old mattress so I’ve got very high hopes.

2 Likes

We got the new TNM with our October 23’ install. I’ve added the 1” overland softgoods pad because I had bought them prior to install thinking I was going to get the original mattress. The lid closes with a bit of a bow which is to be expected. Personally, I don’t sleep well on the new TNM mattress with the added 1”. I’m a side sleeper and it feels like my hips and shoulders break through the foam. I keep tossing and turning and will be looking for a custom solution soon, maybe the Hest. I weight 180lbs. My wife on the other hand has no complaints. Best of luck!

1 Like

Where are you located? I’d take that TNM off your hands or swap you.

Wait, have you not tried the TNM without the topper?

2 Likes

Correct, I have not tried the TNM without the added 1” Overland Soft Goods topper. I figured if it’s not comfortable now then it must even more uncomfortable without the added inch…
Is my reasoning wrong?

I do not have the new mattress but it sounds like you’re taking away from the comfort of the mattress by adding the topper. It’s definitely worth one nights sleep before tossing it out!

2 Likes