Got the new Turbo Nap mattress

When I removed the stock mattress, I used the older covers as a dog bed in the back seat and a cushion in the bed of the truck.

Mine showed up, RTT version, and man is this thing comfy on first impressions. I’ve tried the OSG’s 1" topper (wasn’t near enough), and have been using the puff pad on top of the original mattress with great comfort but really didn’t enjoy having to air up/down every time I used it.

Jumped on this mattress in hopes of a simple setup with good comfort. Have only spent a few minutes on it but it feels more comfortable than other options I’ve tried so far. Everything closes up easily as well. Haven’t tried leaving my bedding up there (aeronaut blanket), but I would guess it may work with a tight fit, although I generally stuff it up and keep it inside.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I’ve also had an Exped Megamat and while it was comfortable, I didn’t particularly enjoy the leftover space that was left empty by it not being long enough. Not to mention the air up/down annoyance.

Also, that was a very short 10 weeks, nice work GFC!

9 Likes

A few people have reached out to me looking for a Hest comparison. Anyone in the SoCal/Los Angeles area want to do a Hest vs TurboNap comfort comparison with me?

To be honest I’m not actually sure I want to take this on but it seems like the question people are most interested in. So floating this out there to see what interest is like.

1 Like

The biggest thing I would like to see demonstrated is the value for the $700 price tag.

Also, the Hoverquilt flattens down to almost nothing, so I don’t think it qualifies as true “bedding” for the test since the majority of people use sleeping bags, blankets, etc.

Seems like the best option for long term users is the Hest Dually (@julian & @GainzGFC) and it also has multiple uses (ground tent, car camping, etc.) versus the single use case of the new GFC panels.

For those in the DIY/cost efficient/weekender category…adding another inch of foam, sewing up some sheets, and tucking a sleeping pad under the tranformafloor panels works well. Air + foam is a great combo. For solo camping, you can still take full advantage of the transformafloor by sleeping on the long panel and placing the two square panels in the area next to your body. With two people you can still access the square panel by your head. The GFC still closes with this setup as long as you open the air valves in the pad so they can deflate.

1 Like

Any suggestions on how to best do that? It’s surprisingly tough to demonstrate “comfort” on camera, and tougher to quantify “value”. I’m no shill, I have my thoughts and criticisms about this product, but respectfully, I can’t imagine if I just stuff some fat quilts in there and close it, folks will go “looks like great value, Chief.”.

I haven’t posted my review yet because I want to spend more than a few nights on it - not to make a lame unboxing video. I can say the time I’ve spent on it has been a dramatic improvement in comfort over the old mattress.

From my brief experience, the value prop is this:

• You want a much more comfortable mattress
  • You want full transform-a-floor functionality
  • You don’t want to DIY something that may or may not work, and then end up buying this later

Sound about right?

3 Likes

For sure a tough thing to convey and looking forward to seeing the review. Some ideas on how to justify the price point include:

1. Does it work as advertised? (Sounds like a yes - comfort, transformafloor access)
  2. How does it compare to other products? (Hest, the old GFC panels, Exped MegaMat, OSG, and other options covered on the forum)
  3. Pro/con list including price. This way someone can determine which option is best for their budget.
2 Likes

For those who question the value of the Turbo Nap, here’s few reasons I bought it. I don’t disagree that it is expensive, even at launch pricing and there are cheaper alternatives. Then again, I don’t think it was geared towards the DIY/budget minded crowd. If you have a GFC or which ever camper company you purchased, you’re essentially in their “ecosystem” per se in terms of parts & accessories.

• It retains my transform a floor

• It’s a factory upgrade so you know it works and backed by GFC so it looks and feels like it belongs in it. Plus it’s made here in the US.

• As @Vice_Chief has said in his video, it’s the combination of the foam AND covers that makes it comfortable

• I don’t have to inflate or deflate a mattress like the Hest or other inflatable mattresses. These inflatable mattresses do not have the same dimensions as the GFC so you wind up with gaps in coverage of the sleeping area with exposed panels. Just doesn’t look good.

• With OSG 1" foams, you need to put a cover over it. It doesn’t just go into the original GFC mattress covers. Essentially a cover over a cover type deal. Plus it’s still nowhere as soft as the Turbo Nap.

This is just my opinion and view of it for those who question the value of it based on it’s price

4 Likes

Personally I think the old 2" mattress, the OS topper and the Turbonap are the only ones that should really be compared against each other as they are GFC specific. Once you go outside that category there are a million different directions you could go in that introduce a ton of other factors to consider as well. With only those you have 3 levels of comfort, cost and packability.

4 Likes

This is what I am most interested. After reading all of the complaints of the original mattress, I purchased the OSG topper and installed it the day I got my camper. But the setup is definitely firmer than I would like. So I am definitely interested in hearing how the TurboNap compares to the OSG topper.

In early December, I am going up to Go Fast in Montana to replace some of my panels. I am hoping try get a quick feel for the new matress to see if the upgrade is worth it.

1 Like

There is gonna be pros and cons of every mattress for some folks. People will love the Turbo Nap, Hest, OSG, and the original 2 inch foam.

I tried a TON of foam prior to upgrading to the Hest. I even created a thread on the FB and shared my findings in here. With the old covers, you were extremely limited on what you could stuff in them before the seams/connections between the mattresses would become uncomfortable at night. I stated those findings that the only way to truly make the mattress more comfortable/add more foam is new covers which the turbo nap DOES and also adds more foam/softer foam. I gave up trying to make mattress improvements myself and eventually just landed with the Hest.

While I have not slept on the TurboNap, I felt it and laid on it in October. The covers are amazing and soft. It’s feels similar to what is on the Hest, or at least that is what it feels like to me. The foam is also much better and you notice the difference immediately compared to the older 2 inch stuff. Like it’s a drastic difference….

I purchased the Hest in the Spring of 2023 for $400 when on sale. I was tired of trying to make the mattress comfortable and it was the only other option in the market at the time. Yes, it is harder to make work with the floor, but it’s not impossible. I often sleep with my GF up there and it’s not much harder/difficult than before. The other pros of the Hest are the ability to take it out and use it downstairs (in 6 foot beds) or in the house if needed for an extra sleeping space.

I don’t think anyone will be upset with going either the TurboNap or Hest especially coming from the older 2 inch stuff. If I meet someone with the TurboNap, it would be awesome to do a side by side comparison…but again a good mattress is all personal preference. If the Hest didnt fit the bill back in the Spring, Turbonap would have been the next option. It’s good to see GFC fulfilling the market and something so many of you have been requesting.

4 Likes

Come to Montana :joy::love_you_gesture:t4:

Ultimately the fact that you get a high quality mattress that is comparable to the other options and still utilizes the transformafloor is what sets the turbo nap apart.

4 Likes

Question about the floors with Hest: without the stock GFC covers on the floor, what are you doing for handles to lift up the flooring when you’re upstairs? Did you add your own handles to the panels?

Don’t need em! Covered mine with carpet and there is enough wiggle room and space on the side. It’s easy to lift and move them.

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of Hest (local Seattle company). They have a “garage sale” coming up next week on 12/13 5-7pm. Other camping companies will have their wares there as well. Georgetown Brewing is walking distance from their shop. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great product and great folks over there for sure!

2 Likes

At $700 it’s just not a possibility for this fixed income old timer. I dished out everything I had for the V2 and installation trip.
Using an inflatable pad helps me sleep but I’ve not yet had a good nights sleep in this thing, it’s a lot of work setting up tearing down, just trying move around.
I understand it costs to replace the labor and material but there should be some kind of graduated pricing for those who took delivery this year.

3 Likes

I should add that I love this product and am pleased I can still recommend it for anyone. Fixing the sleeping function is a sign of responsiveness to customer concerns that makes GFC great.

The discount they had was in the beginning which was around ~549 I believe. It was a good enough price for some, others not so much. It’s a tough product to introduce as well. They were putting them in campers for up to a month prior to the official release just because it would suck to be the last person to get the old stuff vs the new turbo nap.

2 Likes

That’s why a graduated pricing would be welcome.
Well I’m glad they did it, very responsive. I just can’t shell out again to get this. Maybe half that. I need it but it’s too expensive for me.
It would solve all the problems in using the camper overland or over road because it’s a lot of work reconfiguring every day. As it is I limit the nights I have to sleep in it traveling. But when I stay put a few days it works because I don’t have to set up and tear down every night. Not having the designed use of the camper due to adding a Puffpad really is the biggest problem with the camper. For most I’m sure it’s not a big deal but I’m disabled and need extra sleep support. I’ve been trying to fix this since I got it in Feb 23. Like everything I’ll make do. But kudos to GFC for fixing it :smiley:

1 Like