Hammock off of GFC?

I want to hang one end of my hammock off my GFC- does anyone do this? Thinking of either putting a hook on the track, or just using the holes that the slide in bolts go through (when the camper is up). But not sure if it’s strong enough for that.

Great question and I was wondering the same thing myself! Maybe @GFC_Taylor can give some in put on this point?

Here’s some one that did that.

Thanks @crazyfingers for pinging me.

I have hung a hammock off my camper, but off the corner piece and not the utility track. I would say, given the dynamic nature of hammocking, I would recommend a sturdy mounting point like a corner piece and not something mounted to the utility track.

Be warned: if your hammocking is particularly dynamic, you could run the risk of misaligning your tent. While the bottom portion of the tent is certainly sturdier than the upper portion, I would keep things pretty calm in the hammock if you mount it this way.

In conclusion, given my personal experience I can say I have successfully hammocked off the corner piece of my tent, but were I to try to perform any hammock maneuvers (romantic or otherwise), I would search for a sturdier mounting point like a tree.

I should also note this is just based on anecdotal evidence and should not represent a recommendation on behalf of Go Fast Campers.

5 Likes

Thanks Taylor! I’ll probably stick to trees

1 Like

I have 1/4" paracord loops at all four corners of the GFC. Simply laced through the existing holes in the aluminum.

20200731_144234_crop_259x188

Works great for suspending the GFC in winter and for hanging hammocks.

Wanted to bump this - has anyone hung a hammock off of the corners of the space frame? I think some call it the “banana arms”?

Set up a hammock this weekend in a nice campspot with enough trees, but was curious about hanging it from the GFC to a tree

Hey @pat_man - I didn’t have a hammock to show this in full, but hopefully this quick video helps explain your options.

Hit me up with any questions!

8 Likes

Sweet! Thanks so much. Girlfriend is gonna be super excited, she was lamenting how hard it can be to find a site with the two perfect trees

2 Likes

I have tied one end of a hammock off the exterior extrusion using the GFC machined 90* bracket and the other to a tree and also to another vehicles roof rack (Prinsu) using the tie down rings. For reference I am 160lbs. I would probably not recommend a 2-person hammock with this configuration.

1 Like

Hung from all four corners many times!

I’ve used two options rather than tie off to the GFC. I have a hitch mount that I use with my jeep: https://adventurehammocksystems.com/ . I installed a second hitch in the front of the Jeep so I could have the hammock set up and still access the rear cargo area. With my truck & GFC I’ve used a ENO Roadie Hammock Stand that you park on. I don’t think they make that model but I’ve seen them used on FB Marketplace or ebay. Sorry no pics but I have been happy with both of those options.