Holy condensation! possible roof fan question

This might be a dumb question and obvious if I had my GFC open and could look at it. Is it any big deal to add the second zipper head? Do you have to do any disassembly of the zipper to add it?

Thanks in advance, also to @Evan220 for the idea.

2 Likes

It was pretty easy to add the second zipper pull. If you donā€™t use one of these Amazon.com then you would need to disassemble some sewing on the bottom of the zipper pull to put the new one on.

I did the disassemble method as those are a little bulky but I also failed to put the zipper pull on the inside since I didnā€™t have a double sided pull so be aware of where you put the zipper pull as I now have to make sure I do the bottle trick when I have access to the outside hahaā€¦

Got it. That makes sense as I was poking around on how to do this I saw those 2 piece zipper pulls. Iā€™ll have to pop mine up and get a look.

Thanks!

Well, hereā€™s the big question for me now. Next time I visit Seattle do I rent the really comfy AirBNB on upper Pike Street orā€¦ do I just see if I can stay in Philā€™s GFC!!!

OMG I had no idea that it was that bad. I donā€™t think the major natā€™l news outlets like to show much of this kind of stuff. Well, I think Iā€™m gonna pass on Seattle! I do actually want to go back to Dirtfish again this summer. Wanna meet up and learn how to drive rally cars?

1 Like

Try having access to a CNC Fiber Laser at workā€¦ Iā€™ve made so much random crap lol

1 Like

Roof fan Updateā€¦ I decided to hack my fan to make it bi-directional, the only feature I felt was missing. Itā€™s an easy mod just have to add a 3 position switch to the motor wires. Some pictures below. It has the added bonus of being able to switch off the fan and save the speed setting.

1. Find a place for the switch

2. Cut the hole

3. Wire it up.

4. Put it back together.

There is a How-to on YouTube that made it super simple. Really nice to have the suction feature to run the fan when it is closed.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on that mounted Milwaukee tray on your frame cross-members? Looks sweet!

@Gr3asy Itā€™s my modular power setup! Check it out Here

I posted some information in various threads if you check my history. I really need to do a build thread one day.

1 Like

That is so clean looking. What did you use to cover the power and how did you attach the cover for the wires to the roof? Thanks.

Iā€™m not so sure these vents will solve the condensation issue without forced air? I just had my first experience with the issue at around 27Ā° and had lots of moisture and ice inside with the two forward windows wide open.

Thatā€™s a really nice fan.

I think the main issue is lack of venting in the doors at the top. They are designed to vent at the bottom which isnā€™t where the condensation forms.

2 Likes

I know these are super expensive but has anyone tried these or something similar? Looks like they would work, JAMES BAROUD Solar Fan ā€“ Logik Outfitters

Clever. Following to see feedback.

For those who have installed fans, how much did they stick up above the GFC honeycomb roof? Trying to see if I have the clearance for another few inches. Thanks in advanced.

Damn that is slick, probably the first install ive seen that actually makes me want tp put one in, solid work and design

Maybe a dumb question, but has anyone tried those moisture removal bags? Like the ones you hang in your basement closet to remove extra moisture from the air? I know it wouldnā€™t be the most cost effective long term, but if youā€™re not ready to pull the trigger on installing a fan what do you think about those as an option in the short term?

2 Likes

Would a pop up vent work? Non powered

1 Like

I donā€™t think those will work as fast as you think they will. And I think the space has to be relatively ā€˜sealedā€™ for the packet to work. Otherwise it would be like installing an air purifier outdoors lol

1 Like