Interest in insulation kits?

I’m looking at the possibility of offering an insulation kit for the GFC as a product. My current setup is a proof of concept and I’m in love with how it’s preformed so far. I’m in coastal AK right now and I’ve gone down to -6F with my 2kW heater less than 100% of the time on. It makes the GFC a viable wintertime option. The solution I have in mind can be installed and removed in under 15 minutes. It would be a synthetic lofted insulation with ripstop facing and a radiative barrier. No good estimate on cost at the moment. I have lots of connections in the outdoor industry from school that can help me bring this to life.

Question for everyone: would you consider purchasing such a product? What climate would you be using it in?

3 Likes

I’d be interested to see how this works.

I’d be interested, Colorado early spring, late fall. Generally above 30°

I would certainly be interested. It seems to me that there would be a lot details to be worked out to get a system to attach without a lot of material draping everywhere. One question - how did you get the hot air tube into the tent? That has seemed to me to be something that ought to have its own port, and perhaps a diffuser at the end of the hose.

Snaps, snaps, snaps for the top edges and TBD on the sides. I’m currently using safety pins and tried magnets before but those always got stuck or fell off. Safety pins through the bug mesh allow me to avoid holes in the tent but aren’t a very finished solution. Would likely need to look into suspending it between side walls. Will think on it more.

During winter I’ve been sleeping bunk mode mostly. One floor tile is always out and the heat in the bed rises (bed is better insulated than tent at the moment). Have meant to make a better solution, but on the occasions when I need to sleep 2 up top I cut a square hole out of the corner of the honeycomb panel in one of the cushions, and the tube runs through that with the thermostat. Pushes the padding and cover out of the way. Recent changes including min ting the thermostat in the bed don’t allow me to do that. I think the most “pro” solution is cutting small holes in the fixed honeycomb panel towards the very front of the truck between the bed and the tent, as close to the edges as possible, and routing with crushable ducts so the tent has air intake plus exhaust.

More to come

I feel like it’s a no brained but I’ll tap in and say yes I’ll be the Guinea pig as I’ve been camping in -20 and below in the GFC this year with no insulation.

The biggest issue I’m curious to see fixed is how to avoid frost buildup inside at these temperatures because the aluminum frame is taking any moisture and immediately freezing it.

1 Like

Have experienced the issue of condensation freezing. No amount of heating will fix it. My current solution isn’t perfect but I have definitely noticed less buildup. I still get ice on the inside tent walls, but the puffy blankets on the walls allow the heater to dry out the inside layer that you’re interacting with. I haven’t had any problems with dripping condensation since installing the blankets, the water usually just drips onto the inside of the blanket, and is absorbed by the fabric. Again, the heater can dry out the blanket.

1 Like

Which leads me to my next point - The blankets will probably help with without a heater, But only marginally so. The biggest benefit is if you are running a heater because it helps the heater to maintain a decent temperature even when it’s freezing outside.

Something that would act as a barrier with cutouts for the windows near the front would be nice. Even better if it can close with the tent. I know we have a lot of heat loss through the roof but honestly a way to close off the doors would be great as a lot of my problems stem from cold air going up under the door flap even when I have them zipped completely closed

The roof is actually the least of the concerns, that material has Air pockets in it so it is very warm. My current solution is permanently installed for the winter, it folds with the tent. If I needed to take it out, it would take me about five minutes.

1 Like

[quote=“Dogandajeep, post:6, topic:25267, full:true”]
I feel like it’s a no brained but I’ll tap in and say yes I’ll be the Guinea pig as I’ve been camping in -20 and below in the GFC this year with no insulation.

The biggest issue I’m curious to see fixed is how to avoid frost buildup inside at these temperatures because the aluminum frame is taking any moisture and immediately freezing it.

Do you think it’s plausible to cover the bare aluminum with like the soft side of Velcro? Obviously in the warmer months to give the sticky side a chance. I don’t know if that would stay on but that’s my first thought.

Probably but then I’d lose the interior track (I don’t use it anyways) worth a shot over the summer

My mounting solution uses the track on the sides with studded fabric snaps to hang the blankets, could put fuzzy material on the inside of the top edge of the insulation kit to take care of the condensation. Currently I just have the top edge encased in webbing.

1 Like

If the aluminum rail icing up is that big of an issue could always just heat it with some 12v heat tape :grin:

KEPOHK 12V Self-regulating Heating Cable Water Pipe Anti-Freeze Protection do Joint Selection 2 Meters do Joint Cable https://a.co/d/4aFrRk0

i am interested but depends on how much and how it works!

This would make my energy budget problem go from bad to worse. Heating all of the affected rails would probably cost 100W, which isn’t trivial. I like the thinking though.

Some vents to let moisture flow out better might be a less power hungry solution

1 Like

Given how popular this thread has been I think this would be a slam dunk if someone offered it. That said: @WrinkledPants - who it seems knows what he is talking about when it comes to textiles seems to have tried and failed to bring this product to market. Perhaps you have a better shot?

I think the issue you will run into, is if you use any sort of higher performance insulation, or construction techniques you’ll be priced out of the market either by limited scale or by per unit cost.
If you have it made overseas which is the only way to control the price, your minimums will be pretty high, if you go domestic because low unit runs are easier done in the states you’ll run into a price per piece issue.

Not saying don’t take a swing at it, but I am saying soft goods are hard to make money at. You might consider modifying Woobies to fit and selling a DIY install kit with some of @Rancho s snap track inserts.

2 Likes

I’m willing to churn those out for anyone that needs them. Btw I’ve been thinking about doing the woobie insulation for over a year lol!!!