JE Design & Fabrication GFC accessories

Made some progress on the locking knob setup. The main challenge was getting enough clearance between the knob and the extrusion. The slot for the tent locking pins is actually pretty wide, so I was able to clock it towards the back some and have enough room.

The key to being able to tighten it was to have an angled plate for the knob to torque against. I printed a plate that has a raised portion so it indexes itself and still can slide freely.

With this in there is plenty of clearance for the knob to rotate and it opens easily. It actually is an improvement even when not using the lock!

I used RAM Mount knobs as they are high quality with brass internals and already the 1/4-20 thread that the existing GFC pin is. I just bought some stainless all-thread, cut it to length and used permanent locktite to hold it in. I actually scored in that with all my destroying of knobs I ended up with two matching lock cores so only one extra key for the knobs!

I may make this for sale as a complete package, or could also do just the 3D printed parts. I can do ABS so they should be plenty durable.

If anyone wants to do it themselves I’d be happy to give out all the specs as to what I bought and the files to machine or print the plates, as long as no one starts selling them.

8 Likes

This looks great! I’ll buy it.

2 Likes

Awesome progress! Once you have this complete this takes care of of my V2 envy (+ hatch latch). I’m thinking V1 is back to the best! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No the slider has full range of motion. It just sets it at a 12 degree angle to give it the extra clearance. It is indexed into the track just to keep things lined up.

1 Like

To maybe better answer your question the section of plastic between the knob bolt and the outside edge serves no purpose other than some added clamping surface and making it look more balanced. The GFC slide bottoms out just before the plastic contacts.

1 Like

Core is removable… but it is a weird half circle and it’s shape is critical to the mechanism inside the knob. I was hoping a locksmith could match up keys but they are too different I think. You have me thinking though and maybe I’ll pull one of my southco cores and take a look.

3 Likes

HatchLatches are in production! Will be getting most of them out today! Thanks for all the support and patience everyone!

10 Likes

Good job. Looks like you have about 80 orders there!

Peace.

I installed the hatchlatches today. They are going to work out great. Thanks!

4 Likes

Awesome thanks for sharing!

1 Like

First pass at a clip-on piece to move drips to inside the vehicle drip rail. It hardly ever rains in Central Oregon, but the 1year old is not a fan of the drips hitting him in his car seat!

18 Likes

@jedgar
This is another one I gotta have.
Put me on the list for two please!! One for the driver side and one for the passenger.

2 Likes

I will be all over this! It dumps in my cab when it pours depending on how I am parked! Lol

2 Likes

If you build it, they will come…

I’d be interested to see a picture of this one installed. Can’t really picture it in my mind.

Peace.

3 Likes

This my second version installed. I need to change up the mounting some to make it more rigid, and look less tacked on. But it snaps on with no hardware and works mostly.

22 Likes

Got it. Thanks Josh. Looks good.

Peace.

Sweet another must have !!!

1 Like

I like that this can be snapped on without any hardware. I saw the video you posted on IG. Looks great! Have you tested it while driving on the road or off road?

Thanks! I havent tested it yet on the road. I am printing a version now that hopefully has the mounting pins larger and in the correct locations that I can test with. I am hoping to keep it snap on, and be secure enough to hit branches etc off road.

3 Likes