Julian's 2021 TRD Pro Build

Where does the Sub go?

@jasont I deleted (and sold) the subwoofer — this was a required step for this version of the seat delete. Goose Gear does make a plate system that works around the factory sub and factory trim but it wasn’t for me… you loose a ton of useable space and it looks a little awkward/unfinished.

Damn so there’s no bass in the truck anymore? Did you pay extra for the JBL entune package or does it come standard for the TRD Pro?

Nah, it wasn’t an additional cost or upgrade — it’s included on this trim. The harness for a sub is still there zipped tied behind the plate so I can always reintroduce in future if I wanted (and same goes for all the seats obviously, this is all reversible). Not on my radar as sound and extra space has been rad and exactly what I needed right now🤘

1 Like

Too bad it isn’t a long bed, I would sell you my Decked drawer system that I am going to remove from my 2019 TRD.

Build Update 04/16/22 — Custom GFC Bug Screen Prototype

:wave: It’s been a minute.

Since getting my camper installed I’ve been interested in finding a way to make it comfortable to hang out “downstairs” in extreme bug zones without feeling like a hermit and holed up with the panels closed. Bug screens were the obvious solution but I wanted something that felt custom and fitted to the GFC…

I’m also headed up to Alaska for the next several months to live out of the GFC so felt like a good time to finally try and tackle this problem.

I got my hands on some rare earth magents, 1000D Cordura Mil-Spec fabric, No-See-Um bug netting, some binding (all UV resistant) and got to work with my father-in-law.

I’m pretty stoked on how this one prototype turned out. It completely encloses the downstairs without losing light or air flow and perfectly aligns to the GFC support bars and struts. I’m going to explore adding zippers so I can still access Tom’s (VRNCLR) bags and some leather pull tabs in the corners to give it a finished look.

Still in planning stages for the tailgate… I’ll share more once I come up with a game plan there.

35 Likes

Dude. Serious props. I’ve been thinking about this for some time. Great solution!

1 Like

Amazing build and attention to detail @julian :raised_hands:t2:

1 Like

this would be great for dogs

2 Likes

Need this for my dog when I’m out in the back country!

1 Like

Thanks y’all! @the_philxx Yes! The magnets keep the screen incredibly taught without gaps.

I sewed in five “N52 Neodymium Bar Magnets (3in x 1/2in x 1/8in)” along the bottom of the screen and three along the top. On the camper I placed the same incredibly strong N52 magnets—just a much smaller size (1/2in x 1/2in x 1/16in).

I’ll add the zippers and pull tabs once I have the drive side screen done!

Are you running a walking foot industrial sewer? Or a regular machine? I only ask because I used to sew with an industrial but don’t have it anymore. Thinking about picking up another one for stuff like this.

Does the side panel close with this installed?

1 Like

@Jcknapp74 Nothing fancy! Just a modern Singer sewing machine. Only place we got tripped up was attempting to use a heavier duty outdooor/uv resistant thread from Sailrite — machine couldn’t deal so reverted to a basic black thread.

@owennoll It was not designed to stay up with the panels closed. It deploys and comes down within a matter of seconds thanks to the magnets! Not something I plan to use every-time I go out… just when the bugs are unbearable.

1 Like

Yea I remember sewing rare earths in my industrial and those things would always shatter on me because they would stick to my walking foot. Lol.

2 Likes

@Jcknapp74 Ah! I could have been more specific! I sewed the sleeves w/o the magnets and only guided the magnet down into place after the fact. (after checking the polarity many times over :joy:)

1 Like

Not to hijack Julian’s thread but what juki are you running? I had a Nakajima.

1 Like

Thanks. Looks really awesome

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about a solution like this since getting my GFC. A tailgate solution would be super cool too, but just the side panels would be a game changer in certain areas. Love the idea of only using it when you need it. I’d buy one. 🙋 Any plans to sell them?

2 Likes

X2… absolutely a market for them

1 Like