Leaking in the camper

So the leaks are isolated to where the bulb seal terminates and the back window, but it is running downhill to the front? Hope when you open it up you are pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

We need some moto style tear offs for the leading edge of our campers.

3 Likes

If I did it all again, I would have given mine a meticulous inspection before pulling out, including blasting it with a garden hose.

Does yours leak? Itā€™s a V1, right?

Peace.

Iā€™m very fortunate in that I get to do it again, but Iā€™ve come to accept that these are not meant to be as water tight as a topper. Thatā€™s right from the horses mouth when I spoke to them. Some things like silicone Iā€™ll inspect, and will re-do the 3rd brake light with butyl instead of silicone. But the leaking on the bulb seal, although frustrating, itā€™s probably the best its going to get.

I was told that their thought is that each customer has different expectations, so they expect the end user to make changes to suit their needs.

For me, Iā€™ll be trying using foam weather stripping on the top edge of the tent.

I can confirm that this works with minimal effort. I didnā€™t cut any part of the seal but pushed the seal slightly back with a small flathead to expose the drainage holes (only did the rears). I also needed to clean the holes out with a wire as they were plugged with seal material and manufacturing aluminum shavings that clogged the drain. Drains as intended now.

i have the exact same thing happening in mine but mine comes in through the the corner joints more but it did a couple times come in at all the spots you described while driving in heavy rain i live just north of you so same kind of weather if its leaking like this now the topper is gonna be ruined come spring

1 Like

ive reached out countless times and they did call me back and sent me one email but they stoppped responding im very over dealing with them they are an absolute joke im gonna just deal with everything myself at this point will probly be easier best of luck

2 Likes

Not meant to be as water tight as a topper

• if thatā€™s the word, whatā€™s the future of their presence in the PNW market?

No topper is billed as being watertight. It would be pretty damn impossible to make a water tight truck topper. There are a ton of variables that would let water in that a topper manufacturer couldnā€™t control unless it was a sealed unit that slid into the truck bed.

Before the GFC I had a brand new Leer installed from the dealer and it leaked way more than the GFC.

1 Like

My leer did not leak very much compared to my GFC. I have a pool of water with every rain. This is coming from the top of the camper too. Not the seals.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good question, I meant to see how mine made out today after a steady rain. No water on my platform so thatā€™s a good thing.

I think itā€™s definitely a case by case basis. My leer topper was on my truck for 7 years and never leaked, and didnā€™t get any water ingress through the tailgate. It did start to get damp around the rear clamps over the last year. I would account that to the weather strip needing to be replaced.

I think the same can be said for the GFCā€™s. When you really investigate how itā€™s all put together there is definitely room for improvement. Iā€™m curious if the Vagabond Drifter or the AT Atlas suffers the same issues. It seems like the only one that definitely does not have water issues are 4wc slide ins; but theyā€™ve been doing it for like 40 years. And are twice as much!

1 Like

In an effort to consolidate this information into a single topic, this thread will close Monday and all future information on this issue will be found on the Weatherizing Update thread.

Cheers,
GFC Team

1 Like