Mattress Alternative and RTT size

Exped Duo huge success!

I’ve had my V2 on my 2015 Tundra for a month now and slept a couple nights, well tried to sleep but didn’t do so very successfully. I tried a 1.5 inch memory foam on top of the stock mattress but that didn’t help much and it was tuff to close the tent but it was possible.

My wife and I bought the ExPed duo through REI, threw it up there and we love it!!! It fits so well. I read all the reviews about it pushing out on the tent fabric and being 2” to wide etc… nope, it fits perfect and when I deflated it the tent closes perfectly. Couldn’t be more excited about the difference it make.

2 Likes

Can you post pictures of the mattress in the tent? I want to ask go fast if I can purchase without a mattress if this is a squared away solution.

I bought the Exped DeepSleep (only 3” thick) for my RTT. (Part# 7640445452038) I use it on top of the stock mattress and love it. That being said, I have been thinking about removing the stock mattress and just using the Exped such that I could leave it partially inflated and still close the tent easily. I also plan to buy the Schnozzle or the Pillow Pump to make it easier to inflate (yes, I’m lazy).

1 Like

Can you post pics please?

1 Like

Not anytime soon. However, you can buy the Exped on Amazon, try it out and return it if it doesn’t work for you. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

3 Likes

Go with the Schnozzle it’s way better, faster, and stores easier then the pump.

2 Likes

I can’t take some pics this weekend when we head out camping.

2 Likes

Is the Exped Deep Sleep the single or duo pad? If it is the duo, is it possible for a second person to exit the sleeping platform through the removable panels into the bed of the truck? Is it flexible enough when inflated to push it aside to exit? How is the comfort? Thanks

@Matt_Man_Keys good info here

Camper Mattress!

1 Like

Good write up, thanks for the link.

I got the Superlite, is anyone selling any mattresses that would work for me?

I purchased the 3” thick Paco Pad from Jack’s plastic welding. It’s freaking amazing. I have no idea why everyone isn’t doing this.

The best part, they are durable as hell. So if you want to lay on the ground you can throw them on rocks, no problem. Hell, you could probably throw them on a cactus! :metal:t2:

2 Likes

Anyone try the hest dually yet? at 50” wide and foldable down the middle seems like a possible solution. Also, they claim their memory foam does not stiffen in colder temps

@Shmatty got one and likes it I think.

1 Like

just got a klymit double V to put on top of the original v1 mattress and improved the sleeping comfort 100% bought it at Costco.com for $100. My wife even liked. I am over 60 and my wife is pushing 60 so you have to have a comfortable sleeping area lol.

1 Like

Finally removed the stock mattress and camped at OverlandExpo West with just the Exped. Worked like a charm! I’ve got room to keep my cozy blanket and pillow up there too!! Now it’s time to mount the Bundutec ShowerCube I won at the Expo and the OverlandPros 6k awning I bought!!! Shhhh, don’t tell my wife (sometimes it’s better to ask for forgiveness)

Which mattress did you remove? A V2 or a Superlite?

I think it would be considered V1 because it came out of my V1 RTT (currently on my 4Runner, soon to be on my K5 Blazer)

I use the air mattress though. do you have first-hand experience?