Maverick questions; Will roll-up tonneau cover work with camper?

Hi All,
New member here, about to order a camper for my 2022 Ford Maverick (AWD gas with tow package, fully loaded Lariat). My most important question is whether or not I can keep my roll-up tonneau cover with the full GFC camper??? Both closed and rolled up against the back window?

A few other questions:

1. For panel color I really like the look of white panels on the interior walls for visibility and a warmer feel. On the outside how dirty does white get? I rarely wash my car. Is the top of the camper white? I’ve seen that in some photos. I would get front and back windows. All the exterior trim on my truck is black so that would look better, but I’m in the SF Bay Area so white may be cooler in the summer heat. Other considerations? Thoughts?

2. Is it necessary to order the beef rack crossbars now or are there after-market ones that work in case I decide I need them?

3. Ladies, would you feel safe traveling solo in a Maverick with GFC camper? Any recommendations?

4. What accessories should I buy without going crazy? If I want an awning, or is free-standing pop up canopy OK?

5. Advice for picking up in Belgrade, Montana? And any other info for the Maverick?
    Thanks so much!

I can say with almost absolute certainty that would not be possible. The camper is designed to mount and be secured directly to the bed rails. Now…that’s not to say it’s not possible; but GFC will inform you after the order how they want the truck to be prepared for the install.

I can’t speak to camper panel Color. I’m in central BC, black is HOT! So white would definitely be an improvement. Good thing is you can always wrap the panels after the fact to different colors.

Accessories:

JE Designs Drip rails (@jedgar)
JE Designs aftermarket racks (Beef bars are spendy)
JE Designs Tent loop (some way to pull the tent down if you’re vertically challenged)
Latch covers from @Buhlockaye
Overland Softgood sheets

Most of those are almost necessities in my opinion.

Let the adventure begin! Look forward to seeing your build!

2 Likes

I agree with @Dignon. But also there would be no reason to keep the tonneau cover, the gfc is a canopy which is essentially doing the same thing as your cover. The only thing that I would have input on is the back window, from what I’ve read it can be popped out easily enough if someone wanted in the canopy.

Thank you both @Dignon and @Dogandgladiator. I really appreciate the info! I’ve been flat out doing taxes hence the late reply.
The whole point of me wanting to keep the tonneau is to take away the worry about someone breaking in the windows for access. It’s extra insurance to keep your stuff safe. I love my tonneau and it lays pretty far to the inside of the bed rails. Maybe I still lay it there after it’s removed for install. Love all the accessory recommendations. Thanks!

1 Like

Fellow '22 Mav owner here. I can definitively say that the roll-up tonneau cover will not fit with the GFC on it. I haven’t updated it in a bit, but here’s some pics and info on my build:
Ford Maverick FE Hybrid build-out

1. I have the black panels and it does get hot, but I put in a solar fan in the roof and that helps a lot.
  2. I don’t have the beef bars. There are aftermarket ones or you can make your own, if you’re handy.
  3. I feel pretty safe traveling solo - the panels lock from the inside which helps a lot for a feeling of security. Much depends on where you’re camping though.
  4. Accessories - you can go crazy, but these are my Top 6 in addition to the solar fan linked above:

Cheers,
Emma

1 Like

Thanks so much, Emma! I thought I replied to this, sorry. Am never on here. What a helpful and thoughtful and useful reply, thank you! I really appreciate it. I am a first-time truck owner and am excited about having a free place to sleep when I travel. Woohoo! I just decided to go to the PNW Overland Expo in Oregon in late June. Never heard of it and I won’t have my GFC camper yet, but it seems excellent to get me thinking about what I want. I’m in the north SF Bay Area. How about you?
Cheers,
Elizabeth