Original upper leds?

How were the original led kits being mounted in the tent? I want to set mine up the same way in order to take advantage of the translucent roof.

Does anyone have any pics?

1 Like

I dont have any pictures but I believe they were sandwhiched between the translucent roof panels. So mounting them that way would require disassembly. Jim bob had pictures of his on his build, I think. He was one of the only ones, if not the only one, to get the original design leds.

1 Like

Our new and improved, to be released int he next few months, LED kit will be an easy installation and 10X better than what we originally had. No cheap adhesive LEDS there, we want the kit to be as robust as the camper.

12 Likes

Is the new robust LED kit an add on option to future builds? I really liked the Dimmable LED strips with USB port you guys have on the walk around video on your web page.

2 Likes

I think this will be an item that could be retrofitted regardless.

1 Like

Any pics or teasers of the new lighting system?

4 Likes

Any updated on this?

Wait… What? So the GFC does or does not come with LED lighting? I don’t have my camper yet, so I don’t really know. Lighting is in the walk around video.

I believe only a couple of the original GFCs had the LED upgrade before it was discontinued. They have mentioned designing a new LED set multiple times but nothing has come to fruition yet.

Hmmmm… I thought the lighting was part of the camper. Disappointing. The walk around video makes it seem as if the lighting and USB ports are part of the camper. Maybe I’m a little stoopid, but that’s what I thought. I’ll have to come up with some other lighting solution. There’s probably a good reason that the lighting was discontinued, but maybe the walk around vid should be updated.

Peace.

1 Like

Here is what I went with. Very well thought out design.

https://mattgeckoleds.com/shop/ols/categories/go-fast

3 Likes

Thanks. I appreciate the lighting solution. I’m glad that solution is out there for the majority of overlanders who have a battery system. I am planning on a minimalist build for my GFC. No 12 volt, no sliding anything, no bidet… That’s my choice as I’m a simple guy. I’ll likely go with some sort of battery powered bottle lantern. Simple. Definitely not fail safe and its dependent upon small cylinder batteries. While I still would have purchased my GFC, I am still disappointed. I’ll get over it… I love bottle lanterns. Ha!

Peace.

2 Likes

I started off without any lights, but I was very happy to have them installed. I use my built in lights all the time now. Do you know how great it is to load groceries into a well lit truck? :slight_smile:

Also, the Matt Gecko kit is really nice and turn key, but it can be built so much cheaper if you piece it together yourself… It’s an easy DIY project.

1 Like

@Mike_GFCUSA,
Any update on at ETA for this led kit you were talking about? Thanks.

2 Likes

Currently no, with everything that has been going on, a lot was put on the back-burner unfortunately. I will definitely look into it though.

1 Like

@Mike_GFCUSA Can you just tellus how the original kit was installed on the top portion? I remember reading there is a slot or something where the lights fit that was able to illuminate the entire top panel. I’ve already built my kit for the bottom, but looking for ideas for the top.

1 Like

The original kit was an adhesive LED strip for the top, much like a few of the custom DIY set ups I have seen.

Check out matt gecko leds. The make some kits specifically for GFC.

4 Likes

Anyone that has these Matt gecko lights what color did you go with? Cool white or warm white? I could not tell which one was which from the website but is warm white the yellow looking color?
Did anyone get the second color red?

2 Likes

This is the example that used to be on his website.
Untitled

1 Like