Product Improvement Tour (P.I.T.)

@Mike_GFCUSA I know you’re out and about, but do you have plans on coming east before Xmas? Planning a trip to FL around Xmas and need to see about getting a replacement hinge/s in case another failure occurs…appreciate it.

Got the new hinges last week and they are a great improvement. @Mike_GFCUSA did a great job in the AZ heat all with a smile. The customer service and attention to detail is refreshing, thank you for making the effort. Can’t wait to see the years ahead.

2 Likes

I can’t speak for all cases, but the camper remained on the truck for my upgrade.

The tent was unbolted from the frame to remove the old hinges, but remained resting in place. The tent was never removed. In my case the old rusty bolts were replaced and boesheild plus thread sealant was added to the new ones.

The new hinges are much nicer. There is no way the plastic ones should have made it to market.

1 Like

To the ones that got hinges replaced, did you get contacted by GFC directly?

I tried to contact @Mike_GFCUSA since the PIT is currently in Cali, but no luck yet.

Yeah, I haven’t been following–I assumed that they would be contacting us. But, reading through this thread, it sounds like they did a SW trip, are now in CA, and then will hit the east coast.

Wondering when Nevada will be on the radar?

Do you guys have broken hinges? I believe they are focusing on replacing broken hinges first then contacting people for protective repairs. I was told they are starting with earlier builds and going up.

No, not broken. I thought they were just replacing all of the old design. I mean, if the team is passing through town, why not do it now?

I have camper 261 and two failed hinges. The latest failure is being held in place by what I call the GFC Patch. Once I opened up a “trouble ticket” with GFC I heard from Mike and I am currently on schedule for an early November PIT stop. My understanding is they are prioritizing the campers which have had failure first.

2 Likes

Its a numbers game. If they stopped to update every customer in an area then the customers who really need it because of a broken hinge would be pushed pack even further. Plus the PIT can only carry so many upgrade parts at once. If they simply replaced everyone at the same time they could save in gas by avoiding repeat trips to an area such as SoCal but could push other customers with broken hinges out months without a fix. The number of broken hinges isn’t negligible but I assume the benefit of appeasing customers with broken hinges first outweighs the cost of repeat trips to an area. Personally I’d rather have a few people upset about not getting an upgrade quickly when their camper still works vs customers that have a partially broken camper waiting for a fix for longer amounts of time.

That being said, since I live within a days drive of Belgrade and was a very early customer, I arranged for my hinges to be proactively upgraded yesterday.

4 Likes

Yes, I agree with what you are saying. But from your post above which links the “Leg 1” and “Leg 2”…the Leg 2 gets 75 campers fitted and my town is listed. I assume there have not been 75 failures and I assume if they are literally in my neighborhood that I would be updated (I’m #383). Again, I haven’t had problems, and have just ignored the issue, assuming they would get to me when it was my time. However, now after looking into it…was I forgotten? Am I purposefully being passed over waiting for failure and Leg XXX for repair?

Even with the improved customer service/communication, I’m still a little gun shy based upon past history and my lack of social media presence.

Hey Guys,

As has been stated multiple times, the first part of the PIT is to get to customers withing the first 150 campers (because they have a hinge mounting design that will fail) and those who have already failed. once those have been addressed we will work on how to plan a proactive trip. No one is being forgotten, this is currently the only viable option, with materials hard to source, time on the road, limited space for materials and of course not detrimentally affecting the company. A lot of thought went into something that no one else in the market or for that matter, anywhere else is doing, I promise. We will get you all taken care of as soon as we can.

16 Likes

Big shoutout to Mike for getting a bunch done in Oceanside this week. Super smooth operation, pumped to have the new hinges.

2 Likes

Roger that. I see that now as I look back around the beginning of this thread in Dec 2019, although 150 was not mentioned in the initial post.

A message from Belgrade would be appreciated by those of us who don’t follow every thread on this forum. A little pro-active communication and I wouldn’t be wasting your time here. :wink:

4 Likes

I don’t always chime in being on the road, though I can say we are experiencing some growing pains at the moment that all small companies do and things will continue to improve as we work through them.

8 Likes

Mike is a MF’in rock start pumping all these out and going above and beyond to get these hinges upgraded… new hinge design is bomber and a huge improvement… keep it up man!

6 Likes

Thanks Mike. I’m patiently waiting until the hinges are available for the non broken campers. I am anxious to get the new hinges. I’m not sure what the PIT entails exactly, but I’m certain that it’s a ton of work. Thanks for taking care of us customers!!!

Peace.

3 Likes

Any updates on P.I.T.?

1 Like

It is progressing as expected. The California leg will drag into Mid-November.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update.

Peace.

1 Like

Hey Big Mike,
How do I go about getting on the PIT list? I just picked up GFC 260 from a group member in Texas. I am in Phoenix AZ.

Thanks in advance

1 Like