RAM 1500 Build & Adventures

Made some low profile ditch light brackets that mount on the hood hinges. All the ones I could find stuck up above the hood an inch or so, which I didn’t like the look of. With some KC Flex singles they just clear the hood and the windshield when the hood is up.

4 Likes

Finally jumped up to a 35. Had to trim a bit of the fender liner and remove a plastic mudflap, but otherwise they clear great with the 1" of lift the off-road package has. Also blacked out the final bit of chrome that was on the hood.

7 Likes

Added a transmission skid to the RAM. Amazing how they put skids on everything else with the off-road package but left the transmission and its PLASTIC pan and the hoses fully exposed. Skid is by Dethloff Manufacturing and is 3/16 steel. https://dethloffmfg.com/shop/engine-transmission-skid-plate-ram-1500/

Before:

After:

4 Likes

The skid plates look great and certainly provides peace of mind. I cannot find any aftermarket skid plates for my 2018 Ram 1500 5.7L.
Chrysler does provide 2 skid plates (which I have installed) but for a fullsize truck they are not enough. Thanks for sharing!

The elusive sheets…

2 Likes

Very nice! I just ordered a set and they will be waiting for me at install next week. I am not a plaid kinda guy, but I jumped on them none the less.

2 Likes

I am with you on the plaid. They are almost too ugly for me to use, but with a 1.5 year old I needed some extra protection!

1 Like

@jedgar just don’t dry them! They’ll never fit right again

1 Like

You can fit a 35 under a 5th gen ram with some trimming and a LOT of effort!

2 Likes

That is a tight fit, but looks good! I went the expensive route with a Rigd - Ultraswing. In other words, I chickened out! lol

2 Likes

That’s awesome.

I was going to put a 34” tire on a rebel wheel under my ‘17, but couldn’t figure out how to mount it since the bore hole in the wheel was too small for the mount on the hoist to fit thru. Mounted it in the bed instead.

1 Like

I am running factory wheels powdercoated so still fits, but that is good info to check if I decide to go aftermarket wheels.

The truck has 9 usb port (including 4 usb-c) and 2 110 plugs, but only one 12V plug located on top of the dashboard. I run a GoalZero connected to a Dometic CFX3 in the backseat and I got tired of having the cord hang across my screen. I also want to be able to put the fridge in the bed when the cab is full of stuff, so I decided to add some 12v lpugs in the backseat and in the bed.

I ordered 2 of the Dometic hardwiring kits which have 20’ of 10G wire as well as a port with both a standard 12V plug and a 2 pin. I wanted both plugs to only be on when the truck is on so there is no fear of draining my battery.

For the bed plug I went from the battery and ran the wires along the factory harness back to the taillight, then drilled a hole in the bed to mount the Dometic plug and housing. I added a relay to this and used a fuse tap into the ECM fuse under the hood which is only on when the engine is running.

For the backseat plug I decided to tie into the existing plug on the dash since it is only on with the ignition, and then mount the Dometic plug on the back of the center console. I pulled the dash and the center console out to be able to drill and run wires more easily.

Because of the curve in the console it tucked the plug out of the way from getting kicked and made for a clean install.

7 Likes

Finally got a chance to install my winch onto the truck. Addictive Desert Designs only has one winch they recommend to use, and I really didn’t want the one they recommended. I have always had great luck with Warn (ran an M series on the Jeep and used it a ton), so I wanted to stick with them. I decided to do a VR Evo 10s since it will see limited use on this truck vs a rock crawling a Jeep, and even though it is made in China I still want to support a local Oregon company if I can.

Everything fit up fine as far as clearance with the truck, but the inner opening in the bumper for the line to pass though was too small, and on the outer wrap of the winch drum it was making light contact. I ended up cutting out a section of the bumper’s winch plate to get the clearance I needed.

Stuck the bumper back on, wired it up, and then finished it off with a Factor 55 Flat Splicer. This was my first time splicing synthetic line and with the Fast FID tool it was super easy and I like how clean and simple the connection is. I am so glad to finally not have an empty hole in the front of the truck!

I also got some new suspension. It only gives a 1" over stock lift in the front, but is much better parts and has both high and low speed compression adjustments.

And installed! They included a nice bracket to mount the remote reservoir also. Havent had a chance to test it out in the dirt but so far so good.

4 Likes

OOOOOO!!! I like the look of that lift :heart_eyes:

Sweet additions to the Ram! Have fun testing the fruit of your labor!

Another upgrade! With a truck this long it does not take much to need sliders. Excited to be able to push the truck a bit more!

2 Likes

Been over a year since I updated this post, but have added a V2, and just added a FSR 270 Awning. I have resisted doing a 270 because of the weight but this one is only 37lbs and is free standing. I wanted the lowest profile mount possible so I made up some brackets.

5 Likes

Heading on a big trip and the forecast is looking quite wet so I made a quick frame to use the tent cushions as a bench in case we have to hang out inside a bunch.

7 Likes

Love that bench idea! Simple and so practical