Ramventures_PNW build - Ram 1500

I’m in Walden and was probably going to attend on Friday. I’m on shift Saturday. :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

OMG :hot_face: that is a great looking truck!

1 Like

Hello, You picked up your GFC! Woohoo! Congratulations! I hope your experience at pickup (GFC - Belgrade, Montana) exceeded your expectations. I will PM you with some information, but here is our meeting point for my group going into Expo on 8/25/22 @ 0900
Urban Egg and Daytime Eatery
4861 Thompson Pkwy
Johnstown, CO. 80534

Then will caravan into Expo (after breakfast) as a group. As you may know in order for a group to camp together at EXPO they must arrive together.

For all you GFC maniacs that are attending EXPO and are in the area on 8/25 @ 0900 stop by the Urban Egg. If you cannot make that and wish to meetup send me a PM and I will come up with a meeting location inside the venue. I hope to meet as many of you as possible.
Cheers!

Added the Overland Soft Goods bed sheets along with memory foam one inch topper. Still need to sleep on it but it is significantly softer than before.

3 Likes

Hey- Awesome set up. I’m also a Ram 1500 w/Decked and V2 owner. Is this what you’re using for a Bedrug? Or if something different can you link? Cheers!

What bubble levels did you get and how did you mount them to the t-track ? Looking to do the same on my camper

I am thinking of ordering Decked.

Do you miss having the extra bed depth when stepping inside or is the extra storage and securement outweigh the height loss?

Hey @IanJames - Sliding in for my take on this as well. Having a Decked system in my Tacoma has been great, but there have been moments when I’ve had a twinge of buyer’s remorse. Just keep in mind that my drawers are specifically designed for a Gen3 Tacoma with a short bed. I installed the Decked system before owning a GFC, and my appreciation for it grew after installing the camper.

Pros:

• Assembly/ Install: Decked has done an excellent job of integrating their system with each truck bed, resulting in a relatively smooth installation process. The manual and YouTube support provide clear instructions to make that even easier.
  • Design/ Components: The HDPE material used is top quality, and the overall design effectively keeps water and dust out. The hardware and other components feel similarly well-made, and if you’re accustomed to soft-touch drawers at home, you’ll find the feel quite familiar. The weatherproof and secure nature of the system is crucial.
  • Organization/ Efficiency: Although I don’t personally use their storage bins or dividers, having them as options would enhance the overall experience. I must admit, I’ve been a bit envious when meeting folks who have them.
  • Easier Access to GFC: Personally, I love the additional “step” that the Decked system provides for getting into the GFC. While it may reduce headroom to some extent, it allows my dog to jump up or down from the platform effortlessly.
  • Confidence: I’ve never worried about this system and haven’t encountered any service issues. However, if I did, I know the folks at Decked would promptly address any concerns. They also have great accessories to boot!

Cons:

• Price Point: Compared to other options or a DIY build, the Decked system can be relatively expensive. Nevertheless, you can trust its construction and durability. Just make sure to reinforce the bed if that’s your preference.
  • Reduced Bed Space: Essentially, you’re sacrificing bed space for improved organization and potential security. The system occupies a certain amount of space in your truck bed, which can diminish the overall cargo capacity. It’s essential to consider how much space you’re willing to give up in exchange for the added benefits of organization and storage.
  • Slick Platform: Although the HDPE has some molded textured areas, items tend to slide around while driving. You’ll need to grab one of their traction mats or come up with a DIY solution if this becomes problematic. Personally, I often use Titan Straps, so I’ve found a solution that works for me.
  • Goodbye Bikes Over Tailgate: This one hits me hard as I used to shuttle the bike crews quite frequently. Now, my only option is a stand-up rack if I want to continue with the shuttle life. (At least it saves some gas money, so there’s a silver lining - haha.)
  • Drawer Depth: Honestly, the drawer depth is a bit shallow for my needs. Neither drawer can accommodate my downhill helmet or taller items exceeding 8.5 inches. When considering the depth of each drawer in relation to the bed space lost, I often contemplate going the DIY route to create a setup that best suits MY needs. I want to emphasize that I have a Tacoma, and drawer depths can vary across different models.

That being said, the Decked system is likely the best off-the-shelf “one size fits all” solution available. It effectively stores all my camping gear and more, and the peace of mind it provides with its design is truly confidence-inspiring, especially when paired with a GFC.

2 Likes

10/10 response here GFC-Thayne; thank you for taking the time to break this down.

I have a Ram 1500 Eco Diesel, crew, 6.4 box, which gives me a large truck bed and additional depth to a mid-size truck.

I have done the DIY build in a truck cap camper, and it worked well. Granted, I accommodated the space to slide a surfboard under the bed; I won’t require that space anymore with the rack system and truck cargo area no longer for sleeping.

I am ordering a new V2 Platform camper for pickup in the fall, and based on your response, it gave me enough real-world application to make a good decision.

The pros listed outweigh the cons from my perspective.

Pros
Assembly/ Install Running a small business, toddler, dog, and reno house is a big motivation.
Design/ Components: I like HDPE, which lasts forever! Strong as heck too.
Organization/ Efficiency: There is a sale right now, including organization bins and dividers… perhaps it’s a sign
**Confidence:**Agreed

Cons
Price Point: I’ll happily pay more and not have to do the build while gaining a warranty. Also, up here in Canad,a Plywood has been very expensive
Reduced Bed Space Seems like a far trade- the decked system online
Slick Platform: Dually noted
Goodbye Bikes Over Tailgate: I have the Kuat pivot hitch and rack, so I’m ok there

Is there a code “GFC-Thayne” at checkout :joy:

2 Likes