Rear door measurements

Hey guys,
Was wondering if anyone would be willing to get me a few measurements? The first measurement is from the hole in the rear panel rib to the vertical rib. The second is from that same hole to the space frame. Looking for tacoma measurements mostly, but also interested in Tundra, F150 and Colorado. Here are pics on my RAM as an example. Thanks!

4 Likes

I think I know what you’re making and I’m interested

:call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Haha I have a suspicion as well! And I love the idea

3rd gen Tacoma measurement look to be the same

2 Likes

Heh. Can’t let those V2 folks have all the cool features.

4 Likes

Ha! I think I know what you’re up to as well. And, I’ll probably want one if they end up for sale.

HeHe.

3 Likes

I like stuff, here to see what we’re making…

In on this one. I’ve got a 2017 Tundra, same measurements as your Ram…3.5" space frame to hole and 1.0" hole to vertical rib.

Awesome thanks everyone. Glad it seems to be consistent. Will keep ya posted for sure

1 Like

Just confirming another model. My camper is on a Silverado and is the same spacing.

2 Likes

@jedgar at least they made it easy for you

2 Likes

More opinions needed…

For locking the rear gate once inside, would you guys prefer something that is always on the gate and operates with a slide (light and not in the way ideally), or is something real simple and light that requires a little more effort to use what you are looking for? Would you prefer it to be stored on the gate or is having it available in the truck for when you need it ok? Both would block someone from locking you in and require no cutting/drilling. I have very rare times I want to lock it while inside, so for me something super simple makes the most sense, but wanted some other opinions. Thanks!

2 Likes

simple, light, and attached to the rear door sounds perfect.

6 Likes

Simple, light, sliding mechanism seems like a good way to go to me. Not sure exactly what you have in mind. I have a lame latching system (not locking) on my GFC to help on windy nights that I threw together with junk I had in the garage. I’d be happy to remove that…

Always on the gate is preferred.

Peace.

3 Likes

Third vote for light and on the door. I’m more concerned with wind than anything else.

1 Like

Finally getting somewhere with this. And first off yes I understand that a bungee works for this, but where is the fun in that? :wink:. I have been running a thin steel prototype of two different options. The first simple one was good for security, but when @oddball mentioned wind I had to revisit it. While it kept the panel closed, it had enough slop that it banged worse than the unlocked panel. The pic below is my current version. With tight tolerances against the panel there is plenty of stability for the one bolt to lock it in. I have 2 made of steel in right now that seem to be working awesome. You have to pull the door a bit to close it so it has tension from the door seal and seems solid. It also blocks the latch from being closed from the outside.

I am getting some parts cut from 1/8" aluminum this week that should be way lighter and much nicer looking, and I’ll post up some pics as soon as I have them installed.

13 Likes

Awesome work, man! I’ll put in an order as soon as they’re available!

:call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

1 Like

Wow! Looks like this could be a home run. I’ll definitely order a set if you bring this to market. Great job. Again…
I hope this works out. I’ll certainly support your efforts. Strong work, sir.

Peace.

2 Likes

Thats an awesome design! Can’t wait to get whatever product you put out!

1 Like

Very interested. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

2 Likes

Following this thread. My wife will be stoked

1 Like