Recessed-ish Chase Lights

First off I have to give credit to @Buhlockaye and @Coastal for the inspiration with some of their mods.

I wanted rear chase lights but wiring showing and the lights protruding bothers me. I chose flush mount Baja Designs S2 Pros with a wide/cornering light pattern in order to be visible from the widest angle.

I modeled a mount in fusion that would allow assembly and disassembly from the front of the light.

The light has recesses for captured nuts so the light can be installed from the front without having to worry about alignment of a nut.

Next it was on to the GFC side of things. This is the part I was most nervous about. I removed the rear t-track/extrusion, after loosening the 3 hex bolts, with a pry bar.

I chucked the extrusion into my mill. This is a cheap Harbor Freight mini-mill that has atrocious measuring and no DRO so I used a sacrificial mount as a guide.

The finished product showing how recessed the lights are.

The next obstacle to overcome is the vertical piece of aluminum behind the t-track/extrusion. I tried to figure out how to remove this but gave up and decided to use a router with a pilot hole from a unibit. I later found there are two more bolts with access holes.

After routing the holes I build a wiring harness and installed it. Clearance is tight (0.9" I think) behind this aluminum piece but it’ll fit the wiring if you think it through.

I don’t have a picture of the wiring exiting but I drilled horizontally on the right hole that I routed. The wiring then goes down the vertical pillar and under the bed rail to my RedArc Rogue.

Final product:

As mentioned earlier I wired the lights into the Rogue which manages output from the house battery. I also ran a lead from my factory auxiliary switches to the Rogue. This lead works as control voltage for the Rogue so I can turn the chase lights on from a hard mounted button. I can also turn the light on from the RedArc display or bluetooth app. Since it’s wired to the house battery I can leave the chase lights on for visibility without risk to the starting battery.

The model is available for printing here.

22 Likes

Easily one of the cleanest mods I have ever seen.

3 Likes

Very nicely done and came out so damn clean! I tip my hat to you good sir!

3 Likes

This is the nicest install of chase lights I’ve seen, kudos! Thank you for the write up as well, looks a bit above my pay grade but sure appreciate the workmanship and ingenuity

2 Likes

I think you now get the award for “Cleanest S2 Chase Lights on a GFC” !!

1 Like

So rad.

1 Like

Solid work. Looks great.

2 Likes

Damn! Well done.

2 Likes

such a clean install! think im going to take this on as i dont like my current chase lights on brackets.

Can you share the file and what bit you used on the router?

Sorry for the late reply.

I uploaded the file here.

The bit I used is here.

Any concern with heat? Up against an Exped or Hest?

Not really. There’s a decent air gap where the body of the lights sit and the extrusions work as a giant heat sink.

1 Like

I’ve been looking through the forums and I haven’t found anyone explain this. How do you remove the T-Track? Just pry it off? I removed the three bolts on the back, tried to pry it but it felt like I was going to break something.

Great install!!!

2 Likes

You’re on the right track.

I learned from this video. It’s a little more difficult the first time because it tends to build up corrosion. You just have to trust it’s going to work and move in small bites from one side to the other.

1 Like

If I remember right when we swapped a tent it is hooked into the top edge so a bit of prying from the bottom.

1 Like