Roof Rack on Cab

Anyone with the gmartin roof rack, do you know if you can remove the front wind screen and instead mount LP6s to the front?

looks like it’s the same design as the prinsu which is held in with a couple bolts on each side.

The Eezi-Awn K9 AT Habitat roof rack works perfectly with the GFC Camper. I installed mine this past weekend. I left about 2" between them, but you could adjust it further forward.

2 Likes

Anyone have a rack on a Double cab Tundra 3rd Gen? I’m thinking maybe something like the Eezi-Awn would work?

Thoughts?
Thanks!

I’m in the same situation as you, looking for something I can make work on my DC Tundra. I thought about the rhino rack pioneer tray with their mounting system for the Tundra but would require so potentially heavy modifications to make it fit with the camper. Also looked at the Prinsu that they make for our trucks but it PO would require trimming.

1 Like

Honestly, if you have a few tools, trimming is not bad at all. I got the Prinsu rack for my Colorado and trimmed it down yesterday with an angle grinder (although a hand saw and some files would have worked just fine). Painted it up and am planning to install today. image image

2 Likes

Is that second pic the part you trimmed off? Looks like you removed the back mounting foot, so you only have the front two mounting locations still on the rack?

Edit: Just re-read your question and am not sure I fully understand. Cutting the back mounting foot off does remove a point of contact from the truck, however there are far more than two mounting points/bars on the rack. My rack will have a total of six mounting bars installed on it.

That is correct. I see a lot of other guys who have cut it the other way, but at least on the Colorado that would give me storage opportunities that were about 1” deep and I couldn’t envision how I would use that. Not to mention needing to drill four holes with the camper installed wasn’t going to be the easiest thing in the world.

Overall, I wanted the equivalent of a Habitat Rack, but for the Colorado and ideally exactly to length that would fit with the Go Fast. And now that is what I have. However, cutting or notching a rack lengthwise would follow the same steps and honestly would not be difficult - especially the small notches I see folks doing.

Yea that was my question, after you cut that portion off how many bolting points to the roof of the truck are left? I’d be in the same situation where I couldn’t drill for the back two mounts due to the camper already being in the way. Just wasn’t sure how sturdy the rack would be with less mounting locations.

Gotcha, yeah there are now just a total of four mounting feet into the truck (8 total holes). This is going to be plenty burly given I also reduced the length accordingly.

Got it. I think I wouldn’t be able to do the same since the Tundra DC rack only has 4 mounting feet to begin with and I would be trimming off the back one so I’d only have the front two left. That probably wouldn’t work too well unless I figured out how to move the rear mounting foot forward.

Yeah that would definitely take more ingenuity. After receiving the Prinsu rack, I can say that I would be comfortable with pretty much any other company’s rack that is similar. The 80/20 is 90% of the rack and is straight off the shelf. Not sure if there are other options for the Tundra dc, but I wouldn’t shy away from them if so.

I would like to see some photos of your rack on rig and some while your doing the work.

nope, I asked him. he needs to have a colorado to do the measurements

1 Like

Finished mounting my modified Prinsu cab rack on the Colorado today. Word to the wise: use a step bit made for metal rather than drill bits. After blowing through multiple normal bits, I switched over to a step bit and it made my life so much easier. 3/8” is pretty much the right size for the plusnut.

4 Likes

I spoke with upTop Overland weeks back and they mentioned they would be developing a rack for GFC owners. Can’t wait for this to happen. Here’s their rack builds.

2 Likes

martin offroad racks has a new website

www.martinor.com

1 Like

I’m still very pleased with my Martin rack

1 Like

sherpa is working on expanding their shorty racks… https://sherpaequipmentco.com/tacoma

sounds like they’re able to get back into the shop this week to start up production and testing again…

they did one for a home build already and will be doing one for the GFC and Vagabond

2 Likes

We have been doing some testing. We now have a rack out for Jims custom camper, a GFC camper that has yet to be tested much as the truck it’s on is sitting on jack stands atm. Then we just sent a rack on a month-long trip in front of a Vagabond Camper.

2 Likes