Sealing and dust in the bed

Same - thanks for the reply! I ordered the vent. Appreciate everyone’s input here and look forward to posting the end-result soon!

1 Like

Thanks for the info, @pdx_keith! Did you order these? 1 Pair Aluminum Low Profile Popup Roof Vent & gaskets - dogboxparts

@spamisevill Yes, those are the ones.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the info!

I completed this modification on Friday and did a few hundred km on some dusty logging roads this weekend and it makes a huge difference.

They also make nice vents to use when parked.

7 Likes

I found these vents provide a nice way to add heat into the downstairs. I hacked together a little sheet metal adapter to 3” diesel heater hose. It goes into the centre vent and the outer sections draw a little fresh air at the same time. So far so good!

12 Likes

Modified this Home Depot house vent into an air deflector. It just clips on to the vent. Now the hot air doesn’t blow right onto my electrical system and it helps circulate it better.

8 Likes

Love everything about this.

1 Like

@PDX_Keith @jedgar Question for you guys: Is installing one vent enough? Or do you need one on each side?

I did one and it seems plenty sufficient.

2 Likes

One is perfect for dust… if you want to create airflow for pupers or to just air things out 2 is perfect one opened forward one open to the rear and it creates a vortex of air (watching dog hair swirls in the back can be mesmerizing and lead to distracted driving)

@PDX_Keith @ScottH Thanks guys. I’m going to go with one for now.

1 Like

Thinking of installing one of these vents. When driving on a dirt road, will I want the vent facing open towards the front, or open towards the back?

I face it forward for maximum ram air flow. I think the passenger side gets the less dusty air.

1 Like

Thank you!

Do you guys have a filter on the vent to keep dust from coming in via the vent? We just got back from a 3 day desert trip and we had a fair amount of dust come in under the seal between the GFC Door and the tailgate. Considering putting a bulb seal on the backside of the GFC door. I sealed up the tailgate, and stuffed foam into the openings on the corners inside the tailgate.

Yup, the idea is to create a high pressure zone inside your camper to prevent dust ingress.

If you are solo it isn’t needed as the air is clean coming in, and in my experience it still helps a ton even when eating dust as a majority of the dust comes in through the rear. You can always jam some air filter foam into the vent if you really wanted to.

1 Like

I figured solo we’re good. But it’s silty down here so if you’re behind anyone you’re in a dust storm. haha!
My air filter was pretty full this last weekend.

What truck do you have? I ordered one of these vents from the link and its pretty big. Looks double the size of what yall have. Just wonder if it looks so big cause I have a tacoma and maybe the GFC is not as tall? My vent is almost 12" tall.