Sealing and dust in the bed

Awesome! Thanks again! I appreciate the help.

1 Like

It must be WAY dustier where you all play. Or…I’m just lucky because I haven’t hand much dust ingress; not enough to think about positive pressure. What really interests me about this vent is the temperature change with it. Do you notice it’s cooler in the back if you have them open?

Note to self…remember, Wes, you’re on a spending freeze….but you have an amazon gift card…but only use it for good, not evil :joy:

@Dignon Yeah Central Oregon is volcanic silt. Some of the finest worst dust I have ever experienced.

3 Likes

Was out all day Sunday on the pony express trail, dusty as hell. Having the positive pressure vents made it so there was almost no dust in the back. Normally I would have a heavy coating of dust from the road I was on. On top of that it stayed on average 15degrees cooler between driving and sitting in the sun. It was 95 yesterday and it only got up to 82 in my bed…

Reason for sitting in the middle of nowhere for hours

10 Likes

Cool photo! That guy on the right is pretty excited, isn’t he?!

Nice mod, folks. Will have to add this to the “eventually” list…

4 Likes

Was able to test out the vent this weekend and it is a night and day difference. I had zero dust in the bed after 20+ miles of silty dirt roads which would have normally covered everything. So glad I did it!

7 Likes

One of my best mods so far! Open one all the way to the front and the other a little to the back and it brings the temp down even better for the dogs

You’re all very welcome! I’m now accepting donations to my Go Fund Me account. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Kidding of course…

2 Likes

Yep just did this as well loving it on our dusty roads up here in NW MT!

4 Likes

Excited to try this! Looking for a solution to the Baja dust-in-the-bed (and then up in the sleeping quarters) issue… After the vent is installed, any best practice on shoe/foot/dust brush setup for entering and existing a dusty campsite?

1 Like

Hmm I just keep a small broom in the bed/ kick the dust of my feet. Hard to solve that one but been loving getting there and not having a layer of dust in the bed great upgrade!

Same - thanks for the reply! I ordered the vent. Appreciate everyone’s input here and look forward to posting the end-result soon!

1 Like

Thanks for the info, @pdx_keith! Did you order these? 1 Pair Aluminum Low Profile Popup Roof Vent & gaskets - dogboxparts

@spamisevill Yes, those are the ones.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the info!

I completed this modification on Friday and did a few hundred km on some dusty logging roads this weekend and it makes a huge difference.

They also make nice vents to use when parked.

7 Likes

I found these vents provide a nice way to add heat into the downstairs. I hacked together a little sheet metal adapter to 3” diesel heater hose. It goes into the centre vent and the outer sections draw a little fresh air at the same time. So far so good!

12 Likes

Modified this Home Depot house vent into an air deflector. It just clips on to the vent. Now the hot air doesn’t blow right onto my electrical system and it helps circulate it better.

8 Likes

Love everything about this.

1 Like

@PDX_Keith @jedgar Question for you guys: Is installing one vent enough? Or do you need one on each side?