Sealing and dust in the bed

I did one and it seems plenty sufficient.

2 Likes

One is perfect for dust… if you want to create airflow for pupers or to just air things out 2 is perfect one opened forward one open to the rear and it creates a vortex of air (watching dog hair swirls in the back can be mesmerizing and lead to distracted driving)

@PDX_Keith @ScottH Thanks guys. I’m going to go with one for now.

1 Like

Thinking of installing one of these vents. When driving on a dirt road, will I want the vent facing open towards the front, or open towards the back?

I face it forward for maximum ram air flow. I think the passenger side gets the less dusty air.

1 Like

Thank you!

Do you guys have a filter on the vent to keep dust from coming in via the vent? We just got back from a 3 day desert trip and we had a fair amount of dust come in under the seal between the GFC Door and the tailgate. Considering putting a bulb seal on the backside of the GFC door. I sealed up the tailgate, and stuffed foam into the openings on the corners inside the tailgate.

Yup, the idea is to create a high pressure zone inside your camper to prevent dust ingress.

If you are solo it isn’t needed as the air is clean coming in, and in my experience it still helps a ton even when eating dust as a majority of the dust comes in through the rear. You can always jam some air filter foam into the vent if you really wanted to.

1 Like

I figured solo we’re good. But it’s silty down here so if you’re behind anyone you’re in a dust storm. haha!
My air filter was pretty full this last weekend.

What truck do you have? I ordered one of these vents from the link and its pretty big. Looks double the size of what yall have. Just wonder if it looks so big cause I have a tacoma and maybe the GFC is not as tall? My vent is almost 12" tall.

My vent looks massive against my side panels lol

I got it on there… I used machine screws instead of rivets, #10x1/2”

One of the machine screws snapped while tightening. Not sure it was defective, but I didn’t tighten much when it broke. So I need to get another one. But other than that it’s on!

6 Likes

sorry for the late reply. The XL camper is a lot taller than a tacoma one so looks like it is a smaller vent. Looks like you got it dialed!

1 Like

Has the provided gasket sealed against water well? Or are yall adding silicone?

Provided gasket has worked well for me

1 Like

I added silicon like it said to, but I think it would be just fine without it.

1 Like

So I finally got to test my vent out in Badlands NP for a couple of days. Traveled miles and miles of the dirt roads… and there was no dust in the bed, besides a very very small amount that I just wiped off with my hand. Overall I am SUPER impressed.

9 Likes

You think the vent helped a lot?

1000%, the little bit of fine dust I wiped off was in the corner near the tailgate. Very small amount. All of my bedding and everything else in the camper had zero dust on it.