Show me your solar set up

Yeah, I ordered some glands for the more “permanent” install for sure. This is just a temporary solution. I hope to have this for only a couple of weeks while we sort out the parts and time to do a full install. I would like to avoid cutting holes, but I think it is necessary. @jasont

I built my own and with @jedgar solar brackets they sit below the bars. Work great and I utilize the entire bar. Loading lumber, canoes and other items with no issues.

5 Likes

Glans do work incredibly well and I have used them for several other projects! I would have used them if I could have run the wires in any other place other than the roof or front panel. Short wire runs are always a good idea. My other main decision point was that it didn’t want mine visible front within the camper so that lead us to coming in through the bed.

1 Like

the coolest thing about these campers is seeing each individual interpretation of what works for them. I love the innovative skills of each person that shows in their rigs. kind of rad about this community!

2 Likes

Absolutely! They’re so modular and individual!

1 Like

More details over on my build page. https://forum.gofastcampers.com/t/16813/1

It’s a lightleaf solar panel connected to a bluetooth Victron mppt controller

2 Likes

Made things a little more permanent.

4 Likes

It’s not super detailed, I did just a general over view if anyone cares to see.

8 Likes

Great video. Thanks for the explanation. Pumped to get something like this rolling on my Chevy. :raised_hands::raised_hands:

1 Like

Hey everyone. Sorry if this covered in here but I’m trying to figure a few things out. I impulse purchased a river pro battery and a reonology 200w flex panel on Black Friday deals.

I’m PLANNING on mounting the solar on the roof with 3m tape and running into the bed (debating on drilling and grommets on the topper or doing a long run into one of the accessory drawers in my Tacoma).

My main question is heat ruining the panel from being left on. Has anyone built a cover for the panel? Or found a way to mount a flex panel in removable fashion? (I want to mount below the bars because my main use is surf camping). Or am I overthinking the heat issues or any unforeseen electrical woes from having the batteries connected to nothing or a full battery in the cab.

Like i said. Impulse buy with less research than I should have put into it all.

Any advice is appreciated.

@blbfilms the composite roof is a great surface if heat is your concern. It doesn’t really get hot.

FWIW, I had a generic 100w flex panel mounted to the roof of my old Tacoma, in the Vegas sun for over 3 years before I sold it. Zero issues.

1 Like

How much wattage have you guys found to work best for you? Im just powering a jackery 500 (may upgrade to 1000 in the future) and we use the battery to power an electic blanket at night / run a diesel heater / charge some basic small electronics.

Debating on 100w vs 200w also trying to see if i can find a 200 that can mount on the solar tray from GFC. Does anyone know how deep the solar tray sits? Want to make sure the panel sits below the beef bar.

@WhiskeyBiscuit I (not a professional :joy:) would always recommend more solar, if you can fit it. More wattage allows you flexibility in imperfect conditions (panel angle, vehicle direction, etc.), and the obvious faster overall charging in good conditions. This past labor day, my 200w setup was pointed away from the sun with maybe 10-15 degrees of panel angle and still produced ~40-50w. (just 6 hours of that is half your Jackery 500). I was able to keep my aux battery topped up for a week, and didn’t need to worry about closing the camper, moving or starting the truck.

True, i built out my solar array for 200w from 2x 100w panels and wish i made room for a third 100w panel.

Just purchased this setup. Thank you for posting. This is the cleanest single solar panel mount I have found.

1 Like

Hey GFC Mike, quick question for you. are you saying that you can just use the pressure of the 2 bars holding a panel in with out using any of the actual hardware on the solar tray? I’ve got a 51x26 panel that is too wide to mount via the solar tray and hardware but could potentially work sandwiched in with the solar tray mounted along the beef bars.

I started to install this on my truck but Renogy’s new 100 watt panel is smaller. Once I figure out a modification to make it fit, I will try to post some pictures.

400w solar & 200amp battery set up!

3 Likes

Your diesel exhaust condensation is going to drip down into your elbow the way it’s designed.

1 Like

To add a little more to this explanation, that exhaust can should be the lowest point and it has a hole in one side of it, that should be facing down to allow condensation to drip out.

2 Likes