Show me your solar set up

Do you mind if I pick your brain as well ?

I’ve got a 280w panel on the beef racks feeding a Victron 150/30 that charges a Battleborn 100ah battery. I also have a RedArc BCDC and portable panels w/30ft cable in case I want to park in the shade. (Redarc was my original setup, Victron recently added to handle higher VoC.

9 Likes

Beautiful rig. Love classic chevs

1 Like

Here’s a little write up we did on our very simple solar system. I feel like it’s probably one of the easiest ways you could go about putting solar on your GFC. Pretty easily scalable as well.

8 Likes

This is only three days into owning the GFC, so I am not “finished” yet. The basic bones are at least installed, in no small part due to this forum and the suggestions/builds I have found. I ordered the parts from Amazon and Renogy, following advice from others here. So far I have the 100w Renogy panel, using the Beef Bars and GFC solar mount, secured the AWG Renogy wires externally in the track, and (for now) just running the wires into the camper through the gap in the panel. This may not be the best long-term, but for now it works. Until I decide on a final battery box/dual battery/power solution, the Goal Zero 500X is perfectly happy to take a charge from the panel and power our gadgets. Thanks!

OH, I should also say - I did grab the hose and spray into the panel area, right where the wires are passing through… and NO water made the journey into the truck bed. The image with the Goal Zero was taken afte the water test. Dry as a bone!

4 Likes

:exploding_head: Look at the new bracket to hold the camper on!!! I want that! How do I get my hands on that CNC’d piece? That is much more elegant than the previous design.

1 Like

I would contact GFC. The rep explained the brackets were quite a new addition to the setup. I just picked it up Friday afternoon. I am sure they will have the newer brackets for sale at some point, perhaps even available now. cheers!

1 Like

@Bobbyduracel hard to tell for sure but it looks like those panels sit a bit below the beef bars? I’d like to get something where the panel is below the beef bar because I’m worried that putting kayaks on top would scratch up the panels over time and kill them.

2 Likes

@dfinn the panel sits 1/4" below the bars. I would highly suggest this combo. Renogy 100w hard panel w/ frame

(100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel (Compact Design) | Renogy)

and the solar mount kit straight from GFC Solar Tray - GoFastCampers

The brackets angle out as they approach the roof of the truck (go down) which means the brackets are wider below the bars. They narrow as you approach the beef bars, trapping the panel in the wedge. The 3M tape runs along both sides of the panel as well, but if you skipped the tape I would wager it would still not move. I prefer the framed model for possible durability over the sticky panel option, and I do not like the idea of goo all over my GFC the first time my panel fails and needs a warranty swap. Of course, this also gives the option of moving things around over time, as the build evolves.

1 Like

Yeah, I have avoided the stick on panels for the same reasons although everyone seems to always say they have no problems with them.

1 Like

Same. It could go either way. The frameless 3M weighs less, if that is a factor.

Just as a fair warning; over time, your wires will become pinched and the insulation fray due to normal flex in the camper. This will cause a short to your panel and (hopefully not) you will have a bad time. Ask me how I know.
There are many solutions to this, many being wire glands which are weatherproof, albeit permanent holes to your panels.

2 Likes

what happened?? story time!

2 Likes

Not really that exciting. Metal on metal movement. Pinched wires and caused them to fray. Had to do emergency fix it in Mexico.

4 Likes

This was my worry with going through the camper in any style. We ended up running our wires down the backside of our cab and into the bed of the truck via holes with rubber grommets.

3 Likes

i almost went with that method, in fear of drilling the roof of my camper. i did a ton of reading on rv forums and found that the glands work well if installed correctly. so i went that route instead to shorten my wire runs.

3 Likes

Yeah, I ordered some glands for the more “permanent” install for sure. This is just a temporary solution. I hope to have this for only a couple of weeks while we sort out the parts and time to do a full install. I would like to avoid cutting holes, but I think it is necessary. @jasont

I built my own and with @jedgar solar brackets they sit below the bars. Work great and I utilize the entire bar. Loading lumber, canoes and other items with no issues.

5 Likes

Glans do work incredibly well and I have used them for several other projects! I would have used them if I could have run the wires in any other place other than the roof or front panel. Short wire runs are always a good idea. My other main decision point was that it didn’t want mine visible front within the camper so that lead us to coming in through the bed.

1 Like

the coolest thing about these campers is seeing each individual interpretation of what works for them. I love the innovative skills of each person that shows in their rigs. kind of rad about this community!

2 Likes