Softer mattress options?

I finally found a mattress that works for my GFC. I bought two HEST foamy pads and they worked perfect. https://hest.com/. My wife and I slept great. We both have had to usa a backpacking pad air mattress on top of the gfc mattress. Two foamy 25x78 fits perfect. Leaving room for shoes etc in front or back of the pad. If we need the head room you can roll them up and get them out of the way. Closing the GFC was easy. You do need to remove the GFC pads. The R value is great. We camped this past weekend and it got down to 23degrees and we were both fine. Great thing about the pad, it didnt get hard with the cold temps. Lot of memory foam pads stiffens when it gets cold. Not the HEST pad. They are expensive but totally worth the price. Plus you can take them out and use them in other situations. Pillows were amazing as well!

2 Likes

Something that I did was actually separate the stock GFC mattress and remove the grey, much firmer foam piece. I went to Target and purchased 2 x fulls of this foam here . So essentially I have 4 inches of softer foam. 1st layer = GFC softer foam, 2nd layer = Overland soft goods foam, and then 2 layers of the Target foam. The below picture is BEFORE I added the 4th layer. Tent closes just fine with no bow in side/middle. I do flip my 2 smaller squares over so the sheets are facing down. I also left only 3 pieces of foam down near the feet.

This small change has completely changed the feel of mattress and is LIGHT years better.

1 Like

Does the overland soft goods topper easily compress? I added a 1" memory foam that I already had laying around to my GFC mattress, but it hasnā€™t made a difference at all since its very squishy and easy to compress.

I no longer use it. I use a @HEST and actually find it compresses easier than the OSGS with the 1in foam.

1 Like

I use the Hest Dually long. Game changer! Does require a little more tucking of the tent on top of it.

2 Likes

Has anyone found memory foam thats a little more firmer? I thought the issue with mine was that the mattress was too firm, when actually im just sinking down and hitting the floor. Iā€™m a side sleeper, so it can get uncomfortable

Thatā€™s tough because most memory foam is temperature dependentā€¦.so itā€™s going to vary on conditions. That is what I was running into before using the hest. In 70-80Ā° weather, it was too soft. In 40Ā° weather, it was getting slightly too hard.

1 Like

I went to Joannā€™s today and they have some firm high density foam there. Their registers were down so I was unable to get any. The 4" one feels like it would be perfect, but not sure if iā€™d have trouble closing the tent. I want to go back one day since they have so many options and see if I can possible piece together something with the different types that they have

1 Like

I think having 50/50 might be better. 2in higher density, slightly firmer with 2inches slightly softer foam to allow more cushion/easier closing.

The Hest is 4inches and pretty darn plush and the tent isnā€™t not hard to close, but I also wouldnā€™t say itā€™s ā€œeasyā€.

1 Like

what was the price on the 4" foam?

Edit: never mind looked on the site
https://www.joann.com/airtex-4-high-density-foam/1901644.html?

Yep, thatā€™s it! And if you sign up to their email you can get $10 off a purchase of $25 or more

If you have a nearby store, I recommend going check them out. They have so many styles of foam to choose from. Iā€™m sure we can piece together something that will be perfect.

I might just replace a layer of the concrete GFC foam with something softer and see how that goes.

If only @HEST would hurry up with these custom GFC mattresses

I tried this and I ended up just doubling the pads when i sleep solo (I pull the long pad on top the two square sections). or adding extra blankets as cushion when not solo.

Is this a thing? Are they doing them the size of the floor pieces?

check out this thread and let them know if itā€™s something you need. it would be a nice option at purchase for us old folks with aches and pains

3 Likes

I thought I read theres no plans anytime soon for the GFC mattresses to be made?

check out that other thread

Does anyone know the ILD of the GFC stock foam?

IIRC 55 and 44. it was in another thread(of a few) here

1 Like