"Solar Generator" vs Solar to Batteries etc?

So you use the bed outlet to charge the Noco while driving? And when you’re stopped just hook the noco up to the LFP battery?

No, the Noco is an AC to DC battery charger; it just takes power from the AC outlet in the house or the truck bed, transforms it to DC, and fills up the battery with it.

I wanted a simple, portable, multifunctional solution. Nothing is hard wired to my truck, and I can use the same charger at home or on the road. If I wanted to add solar, I could still do that at some point. If I do I will probably just have a portable panel that plugs into the port on the battery.

Oo gotcha, I don’t know why but I was thinking it was like an emergency power bank to charge batteries haha.

You and me both! I feel like I would probably get some portable panels just for those days where I don’t feel like doing any driving and want to keep it topped off.

Yeah I’ve tried to keep my power requirements as low as possible - lights, fan, fridge, phone and computer - and most of those have their own internal battery that is full when I leave the house so I can probably go for a few days without charging if I wanted to. I use my GFC to escape from civilization and don’t plan on living in it for weeks at a time (although some of the full-time builds do make me envious).

I’m just starting to build out my truck in anticipation of receiving my GFC in August. I didn’t want to go with anything built specifically for the truck as I see with many other dual battery/solar setups. I wanted the flexibility of throwing everything in another vehicle if I wanted and having reliable, redundant power sources. So, my simplified plan consists of the following:

Ecoflow Delta 2

EcoFlow 220W Bifacial Portable Solar Panel

Champion Power Equipment 201183 2500-Watt Ultralight Portable Dual Fuel Inverter Generator with CO Shield

Will charge via vehicle when traveling, then rely on solar and kick in the propane generator when needed. I have a couple small Jackery’s I can use for some smaller items, the EcoFlow will be used primarily for Starlink, lighting, and some “convenience” pieces like an electric blanket.

I have a Jackery 1000 that stays behind my driver seat that charges while driving. In the camper I have a Ecoflow Delta 2 and a Ecoflow River 2. I have 2x 100w solar mounted to the roof of the GFC that stays plugged into the Delta 2. I just got back from a week long road trip and the solar/ecoflow 2 worked flawlessly. Ran my fridge the entire time. I plan to add another 200w solar panel to the roof and run that into the cab of the truck to charge up the Jackery.

1 Like

Why so much power?

Based on your post it looks like you’ll have 400W of solar on the roof and 3 portable power banks.

Last September I went to the PNW to work remotely with a friend of mine. I had a Jackery 1000, and she had a Jackery 1000. I had a 140w portable panel, and she had 2x 100w. Between keeping laptops charged, Starlink running 8-10 hours a day for work, and cloudy/smokey skies, it wasn’t enough. We didn’t even have a 12v fridge running.

For the next trip, I would like to have my 12v fridge and be able to work without the power loss. I plan on getting the extended battery for the Delta 2. When you go out remotely for days/weeks at a time, theres no such thing as too much power in my opinion. I would hate to be in an amazing spot, only to have to leave to get plugged in somewheres to charge the power stations, like we had to do that last trip.

5 Likes

I ran into the same issues keeping my charged.

I just bought a Alp propane generator for back up to my solar generator…you can run it off the little propane bottles for 3 hours

I have the flex 1500… I was going to get thier ups rapid charger when they get it back in stocked and fast charge it like that if need be…might help if you still run into problems.with the sun.

1 Like

I use the Inergy 1500, also. I have two batteries and 200Ws of panels. I think I may go that quick charge route also. I find the Starlink is a drain on the system for sure.

Ya I find with two batteries no solar…I get about 3 days just using the fridge…not to mention the other stuff I got like heater, lights ect…I only have a 99wt panel…I’m hoping I can just charge it up quickly off the Alp in 3 hours and see how it does…how does 200w panels do charging it?..I found out my hood solar panel can’t really keep up.

I picked up a Champion dual fuel generator for just that reason. I run it off propane so I don’t have to carry additional gas. Completely charges my eco flow delta 2 in about an hour.

1 Like

two batteries is great. I ran my starlink and domestic for 4 days without solar

1 Like

Sure, two batteries beat one, but being able to replenish my ecoflow in an hour every morning without leaving camp many times gives me better peace of mind. I’m planning a few 8-10 day trips where I’ll need starlink 6-8 hours per day, and being able to plug it directly into the generator as a last resort is all the reason I needed to spend half of what my battery cost on the generator.

How much gas and/or propane do you burn through to charge your EcoFlow? I’m looking at this same setup too.

To be honest, I’m still trying to figure that out. I use propane for my stove, joolca shower/sink, as well as the generator, so I haven’t been able to properly measure how much the generator is eating. I’m picking up my GFC next week and will be taking two tanks, so I should be able to get an estimate and will report back.

I did find this on their website:

Thank you!

Something that recently happened to me: My Goal Zero has been overheating in the back of my truck. The LiFePo batteries really don’t like heat. I’m not yet certain how I am going to address this.