Superlite is here!

Hey y’all,

There were a few things that got tweaked in the final design (metal clasps in lieu of plastic clips, things like that). We’re just waiting on the final production model before we share any detail videos and shots of it. I know it’s been a long wait, but it’s going to be worth it!

Thanks for your patience.

2 Likes

Is that mattress going to be offered as an accessory for other models since it’s all shared dimensions?

@Zkzr2 Yes but we’re designing something different that will be specific to the transform-a-floor in the camper.

5 Likes

New camper mattress you say? :thinking:

4 Likes

I like the sound of metal clasps rather than plastic. Light weight is good, but a few extra ounces for mounts, clasps etc that could break is well worth it.

2 Likes

Hey y’all,

The latest episode of You’re Really Out There has a bunch of info about SuperLite!

Check it out:

2 Likes

@GFC_Taylor Solid podcast, plenty of questions answered, thanks for that.

I’m new to the GFC world(pre-ordered our superlite yesterday) and missed the boat on questions. I was going to email this one, but I figured others may have the same queries:

1. Is there a recommended minimum center-to-center measurement on the crossbars for structural purposes? I know you mentioned that you could run on one if you could balance well, but legitimately is there a governing dimension for the structure itself?

2. Similarly, is there a maximum recommended unsupported cantilever distance?

Just making sure we have our shit together for a full send when she arrives. I fully understand the ability for the rack system below the tent to support the loads goes on me, I just want to make sure we don’t have any significant restrictions on spacing.

Thanks in advance, super psyched to be on the team.

-Alex

1 Like

Hey Alex, great questions! Too bad you didn’t get to submit them to the podcast…talking to myself in my tent is way more fun than typing things on my laptop.

To answer those questions, first the bottom of the tent will be quite rigid, both due to the honeycomb composite floor and the extruded aluminum bars. These bars run the entire length of the tent, adding lots of rigidity. I’ll be able to provide a “recommended” minimum cross bar measurement soon, but, due to that rigidity, it won’t have to be a particularly wide spread. We’ve tested these on some subies with stock cross bars, and those bars aren’t terribly far apart.

I think this answers your second question as well (they kind of seem like the same questions if you ask me). Basically, the sub-structure allows for some cantilever either to the front, back, or both directions.

Congrats on your purchase, btw! We’ll have LOADS more info coming out very soon (including some videos)!

Are these sneak peak pics that keep racing across my phone?

@GFC_Taylor How about that video? Let me make sure I understand the construction, there is a top hard shell with a soft side skirt that covers the gap between the top and bottom when closed?

Any idea on delivery time frame for orders made now?

Working on the video and some photos still, but I can answer those questions for you.

It’s a frameless hardshell tent, which means the roof and floor panels are encased in fabric. The top and bottom fabric are super rugged, and yes there’s a skirt that comes down from the top portion to cover the sides when closed.

We still anticipate fulfillment will start in November.

Holler with any other questions!

2 Likes

Is it made in the USA like the campers?

I have 2 questions.

1. What are the dimensions of the mattress? I have a mattress that might work so I’m debating between that and ordering with mattress

2. What is the color fastness of the fabric cover? I live in a hot dry place and things tend to face quickly.

Thank you very much!

Happy to help!

The mattress measures 50x90, and fits the dimensions of the SuperLite perfectly. We figured customers would already have a mattress solution, which is why you can purchase your tent without one. You’ll also have the option to purchase a mattress at a later date. I will say, this one was made specifically with the SuperLite in mind…and there are some specific “accoutrements” that will be offered to go with it in the future.

The fabric is solution dyed in order to maintain maximum UV stability. You also have the added bonus of easy removal for garage/shed storage when you aren’t using your tent, which is add even more to the longevity of the fabric colors.

1 Like

I believe The footprint is 50" x 80"; therefore the matress should match.

1 Like

@GFC_Taylor I really appreciated the podcast going over some of the basic questions for the Superlite.

I have a LR4 with a frontrunner rack and ladder. The audio on the podcast was hard for my old ears to understand. What is the recommendation for the ladder? My ladder is a bit difficult for my 2 year old son to climb so am interested in how the ladder will work.

My big doubt is mounting my canoe. Since you said yes to paddle boards and surf boards, I am hoping that a canoe mounted on its gunwales with support from the frontrunner rack upfront will be acceptable. My canoe weighs 87 pounds (seems about 2x weight of paddle board). Please let me know your thoughts on mounting a canoe.

Cheers.

Happy to answer those questions.

The SuperLite ladder is the same ladder we currently use for our campers and tents, the only difference is the way it attaches to the tent. Since the SuperLite doesn’t have an aluminum frame, the ladder will attach with a tethering retention system. Simply put, the ladder comes down to the ground and attaches at the tent so it won’t move when you’re climbing up. When not in use, you can easy disconnect it from the tent and stow it in your vehicle.

With regards to your canoe, more power to ya! The soft rack that we are developing will only accommodate slimmer cargo, but if you wanted to experiment with tethering your canoe to the top of your SuperLite, by all means go for it. My only concern would be wear on the fabric that encases the upper panel. This fabric is really strong, and reinforced, but direct contact with your boat during transit might lead to shorter overall lifespan. If you were to go this route, I would recommend using something as a buffer between the gunwales and the tent. Weight is less of a concern here than friction.

Thanks a bunch. I would add pipe foam insulation on the gunwales to protect.

I didn’t realize the top cover was fabric. Is the material covering a composite honeycomb slab? Any idea on when you guys will have more detailed pictures or video?

Cheers.

We’ll have some videos out really soon. I know you’ve probably heard that a lot, but we’re really making some moves on that front.

The sheets of honeycomb composite are encased in some really burly fabric. This is how we got around making a hardshell without a frame. It’s different than any tent that’s been produced (that I know of), so explaining it with words doesn’t always cut the mustard…that’s why I’m looking forward to being able to show y’all some videos soon!

2 Likes