Superlite is here!

The SuperLite fabric is sourced internationally, but everything else (honeycomb composite floor and roof, aluminum bottom rails, mounting system, etc.) is made in the USA and assembled right here in Montana.

3 Likes

One more question. Is the ladder and how it mounts proprietary or would other RTT ladders work?

That’s a good question. The SuperLite ladder is technically the same ladder we use for the Platform RTT, but won’t have the same metal lip installed on the top rung. Instead, the SuperLite will use a tethering retention system to hold your ladder in place. I’ll get my hands on one and test the compatibility with the ladders we use for the Platform RTT and Campers.

1 Like

I am a little confused by the below comment from GFC. Is the Superlite a hard shell or soft shell? In the below comment (and by the photo renderings on the website) it doesn’t look like a a true hard shell. Is the hard shell covered in some “really burly fabric.” It would be a little misleading if the hard shell is covered in fabric because this would not be a hard shell nor a soft shell but some hybrid in between. I would assume 99.9% of people would think a hard shell has a hard smooth outer skin in metal, fiberglass or plastic and NOT have fabric cover it.

This isn’t just semantics but has real world applications.

First example would be putting lightweight flexible solar panels on ANY hardshell by using durabond tape. If this GFC hard shell actually is covered with fabric then this may not be possible, because it is not a hard surface but a fabric surface.

Second example would be if it is covered in fabric it will not be as smooth for wind resistance and noise when driving.

As I already stated I am a little confused about what type of outer skin this RTT will have. In having purchased it I went with the “lightest hard shell RTT on the market”. Can you please explain what the outer shell of the tent will be?

“The sheets of honeycomb composite are encased in some really burly fabric. This is how we got around making a hardshell without a frame. It’s different than any tent that’s been produced (that I know of), so explaining it with words doesn’t always cut the mustard…that’s why I’m looking forward to being able to show y’all some videos soon!”emphasized text

2 Likes

I’m happy to clear that up for you! We have some detailed videos in the works that should go live really soon, and we’re really excited to share them. I’ll do my best to describe it with words.

The SuperLite is a frameless hardshell tent because it operates just like a hardshell tent. The upper and lower portions of the tent are rigid and hard, making opening and closing the tent as easy as our Platform RTTs. The composite panel construction is durable and has stood up to extensive abuse in real life applications. For example, we lent the final prototype to a friend that took it on a 1200 mile offroad adventure recently (more about that trip soon). He told us about an impact with some low hanging branches that didn’t even scuff the tent. Most importantly, it’s not a soft shell tent. There isn’t a bag to take off and put back on, and well…it’s not soft.

There isn’t anything like this in existence right now, and that’s what makes us excited. To address your two concerns, there may be some applications for solar panels with this tent, and our team would be happy to help you come up with a creative solution. In my experience, the best tent for a permanent solar set up is still our Platform RTT, but that doesn’t mean it won’t be a possibility with the SuperLite. Wind resistance and noise was a major concern of ours during the development of this tent. It was a huge design crux to overcome, and there were multiple early prototypes that didn’t make the cut due to this exact concern. With that said, I can tell you that the final product is as quiet on the road as any hard shell tent on the market, and much quieter than any soft shell tent. Not only that, but this tent has the ability to pack down to just 4" thick, cutting down drastically on wind resistence!

I hope all of this helps. I really can’t wait to show y’all the detailed photos and videos that we’re working on.

4 Likes

Only thing in life I’ve ever ordered sight unseen. I dig the idea of easily removable and don’t really do long excursions. Seems like the perfect setup. I’m hoping I got in soon enough to actually take delivery in November. :+1:

1 Like

The videos that were sent out to buyers were great! Stoked to be using it next year, Thanks for the thought in the design!

1 Like

Superlite video is up on youtube for everyone. The first thing I noticed was the new GFC shell on the truck. Maybe that is the first prototype of the teased GFC truck shell. It definitely has some differences from the standard GFC camper like side panels that wrap around the side.

3 Likes

Do you have a link to the video please?

5 Likes

Very nice love that shell!!

I’M FRIGGEN AMPED!!! Great job guys. I don’t fully understand the mounting system, any suggestions on what I should buy to keep it as low as possible for a jeep jl? I follow ADVJEEP that had some prototype direct mount stuff for the Platform RTT, but still just not sure and everything is backordered. Any info would be appreciated. And is there a list of people that will be receiving in Nov? Glad I got in when I did because I’ll be a lot of people are going to jump on now!

@GFC_Taylor any advice on a rack? Looking at Rhino Rack Backbone with Vortex rails. Is there anything “lower profile”???

3 Likes

For a Jeep JL a Rhino Rack Backbone is definitely the winner. The SuperLite is designed to play really well with cross bars, so I think you’re on the right track.

Speaking of Jeeps…have you seen this video?

2 Likes

Greetings all,
Ive been researching RTTs for the last month and a half. The biggest sticking point to me was that it sitting on top of my Tacoma 24/7/365 would put a ding in the functionality of my truck.
Then I found the Superlite. The option of fairly easy and speedy removal when not needed is a major selling point for me. Add in the nice price point and the fact that it will mostly be for every other weekend use at best and I was sold.
We are in Hawaii and there is not a whole lot of land to “over” and I just needed solid, reliable, no frills shelter while up on the mountain or while fishing on the shore.

The only questions I have is this: I ordered it a couple days ago. At that time the website stated that order fulfillment would occur in “spring 2021”. Its kind of a wide window…March, April, May… I understand from most Ive read that November is now when the earlier orders got pushed back to, and I am trying to get the pulse of where GFC is actually at with availability-- the earlier orders, of course to be fulfilled by November etc…orders made during the current time such as my own during “spring”, but where are we in actuality? Has ANYBODY, any actual customer, received their Superlite as of today? If so when was it ordered…what was the timeline between order and delivery/pick up? I suppose I am aiming for an answer to…Am I March…April…May?
Additionally, there was only a mention of “No shipping charge” which thrilled me at first reading, since I live in Hawaii. But in reality, I know that there will be more blood to come…how can I find out how much the shipping will be?
Any clarification would be appreciated .
Mahalo,

Howdy,

Taylor here at Go Fast. I can clear that up for you!

First off, congrats on your SuperLite order! You’ll have to send us some pictures of it around Hawaii when you get it!

When we first started taking preorders our estimated start for fulfillment was set for November. We’ve pushed that back by about 8 weeks, which is why we’re estimating spring fulfillment for current orders. Early preorder fulfillment should begin in late January to early February, and from there the fulfillment team will work through the order queue. The goal with SuperLite is to be able to fulfill high order volumes on a daily basis, and once we begin fulfilling the early orders I’ll be able to give each customer an ETA based on their place in the queue.

If you have any other questions, email support@gfcengineering.com and either Mike or Rachel (or myself) will happily help you out.

1 Like

Mahalo for your timely response.
So I will be awaiting an ETA update by late January/ early February. Understood.

I will send an email to the address you supplied regarding the estimated cost of shipping to Hawaii.
Aloha

1 Like

I’m getting some mixed signals on the quick release system I hope the forum can clear up.

Will it consist of a bracket that stays with a vehicle’s roof rack, and also some kind of bushing that stays with the tent’s metal extrusion, and those two pieces mate together? (Similar concept to Front Runner’s Quick Release Roof Top Tent Mount Kit.)

OR is it a one piece system which stays with the tent’s metal extrusion? That simply tightens around crossbars?

I’m trying to determine if a roof rack with wide cross planks will work, which one side of the quick release mount would theoretically affix to. Or if crossbars are a must for the Superlite I purchased. Thanks.

While it’s technically still in development, the quick release system we are prototyping consists of two pieces that attached to the extruded track on the bottom of the tent that slide into place on either side of your cross bar and tighten down with a thumb screw.

My wife just found out how much I paid for the Superlite. She’s really pissed. Please make this tent as rad as I told her it’s going to be. No pressure.

11 Likes

show her this great walkaround video…stoked for ship date!

1 Like