Tacoma Cup Holder

For those with Tacomas who do not like to spill beer, check out what I came up with. They simply lock into the bed rails and will support any drink up to 3” in diameter. I have a Jetboil holder in the works as well and will add a pic for a teaser. Etsy link below!

Tacoma Bed Rail Drink Holder This item is unavailable - Etsy

13 Likes

These look great! So creative. Super idea.

Peace.

1 Like

How does it hold up to being dropped?

1 Like

Ill be waiting for that jetboil holder!

1 Like

Are you trying to be funny or did you not read my question?
3D printed items aren’t always the most durable. Someone will drop one. At $25 I think it’s a warranted question.

First model complete so it should be dropping soon! I designed it so 100g and 450g canister lock into place. Very happy with the result :metal:

Hey! Fair concern. Regarding 3D printing materials, there are so many different materials that have different properties and you may be surprised what some can handle. With that being said, this is a material called PETG. I chose to use it as it has a bit better properties compared to the more common PLA, such as a higher softening point. Give me some criteria for a drop test ie, height, landing condition and angle. I’ll drop it and report back. Though, it was not designed to be dropped and I intended for it to spend most of it’s time in the T-slot so result may vary. I’d happily work with a customer to get them a new one if something were to happen. Thanks for the question!!

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I didn’t realize it locked into place. I’m assuming it can stay in place with driving then?
And just a regular fumble drop. 3-4 feet most likely spinning from trying to be caught and landing in the most inopportune spot.

Yeah they stay right in the T slot while driving!

Once I catch up on orders I’ll take one and see what it can handle :metal: stand by for videos!!

1 Like

I forgot I use this fuel when I use my Jetboil. Do you know if it will still fit?

IMO the Jetboil branded fuel is kind of overpriced, so I use the comparable Coleman fuel. The can is bigger, but doesnt fit inside the actual jetboil. According to Amazon, the dimensions are:
Item Dimensions LxWxH: 4.33 x 4.33 x 3.35 inches

1 Like

Nice! Also looking forward to the Jetboil version

Hey! Yeah those have been thoughts on my mind the past week and a big reason why I haven’t launched it is for liability reasons. I plan to do some vigorous testing with the JetBoil design as the last thing I would want is for someone to get injured from something I designed and sold. As for the shear stress, this is definitely the biggest failure potential. To mitigate, I maximized the radius size under the T-slot mount to reduce the stress concentration to a minimum. I also increased the width of the T-slot mount to distribute the load over a larger area, resulting in lower stress.

While printing a cylinder on its side would prove very difficult, I’m considering other design options to, like you said, have the shear stress perpendicular to the layers. Appreciate the input!

2 Likes

Most likely not. I assume the rim diameter on the bottom of the canister is different. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I’ll consider incorporating it in my next iteration!

1 Like

Actually been looking for a solution for a dog water bowl in the truck that doesn’t get knocked over on the floor in 2 seconds. My dog drinks water at night all the time in the gfc so this is interesting. Looks like it would work well.

I love this. Use it in the back seat for the dog.

I’d be more concerned about it getting hit with things while mounted. for instance a shovel getting thrown in the bed

This dog dish has worked well for us. Its “downstairs” with our German Shepherd all night and he doesn’t spill it. Pet Travel Bowl | Splashless Wander Dog Bowl
But a custom attached solution would be even more stable.