Tangerine Dream vs Stone

I haven’t seen much discussion around the tent fabric colors as I’m sure its strictly up to preference, but thought I’d try and gather some thoughts as to why you chose Tangerine Dream vs Stone? Or feedback after pick up? I’ve already submit my options for install in May and went with Tangerine(just because I think its cool) but figured the next guy who was curious might benefit from some insight. Cheers!

2 Likes

Yeah @the_philxx has it. I also have the tangerine. I like the sun waking me up so I wanted the warm light through the orange fabric. My long-used ground tent before the GFC also had a yellow-orange rainfly so it made sense.

2 Likes

My first choice was red panels and tangerine tent but my eyes hurt thinking about how freakin bright it would be. I ended up going with white panels and stone tent. I can hide anywhere if I put up orange cones because it looks like a utility truck. I was thinking about getting very large vinyl “1229” (my camper number) for the roof for even more urban camo to go with the other labeling to hide in plain sight

I get “It looks like a dog catcher truck” all the time. Love it

4 Likes

A brighter tent is better for my mood if I get stuck inside it, between that and needing a pop of color in all the grey I went for the tangerine. It does seem to draw bugs, but this is my first run through the warm seasons with it so we’ll see.

2 Likes

I believe Tangerine looks much better in pictures with a strong contrast to the landscape.

However, I do the majority of my camping in the NFS/BLM and try to avoid attention from strangers as much as possible. It seems there is a weird phenomenon where you can be 20+ miles in the back country away from everything one/thing and someone will see you and camp 30 feet from you… No thanks.

That is why I went with Stone… I’d prefer to be discreet and blend in with the environment as not to draw attention from others.

8 Likes

bipNdip is spot on. I went with Stone to blend in and stay low key. Though in the Red rock area . . .

6 Likes

I have the tangerine and love the warm light, but really don’t spend a lot of time in the tent so honestly wish I’d gone with stone for the stealth ability. Also the black seams on the orange have a construction vibe to me that I don’t love.

2 Likes

GFC had a meeting about new marketing ideas. One person in the meeting said in order to be a hip Overlander it’s not enough to just have a cool Rooftop tent anymore we need something new. Let’s make the tent fabric a color no one can look away from! Now they offer tangerine.

–This was completely made up but could possibly be true.

4 Likes

Went with stone, for the long haul. My guess is tangerine will fade and or grime up over time. The stone will hold out looking normal for longer.

4 Likes

Because Tangerine Dream the band. And I like orange.

3 Likes

Picked up my camper a few weeks back and after having some second thoughts on going with tangerine prior to install I am completely stoked on it. It looks absolutely rad for one, and I also love the warm light through the orange fabric which definitely helps me wake up in a good mood. And of course it really pops in photos. I don’t think you can go wrong either way though.

7 Likes

Good to see another gen 1 Tundra. Looks good.
Phil

3 Likes

I went with stone. Orange seemed too bright to nap in the daytime.

And also it doesn’t stick out from afar.

…My silver 4runner does that, instead.

3 Likes

Tangerine was my go to. Pops nicely with my black Tacoma. Plus when I’m disperse camping it’s a nice way to find the rig if I wonder off. Lol

5 Likes

i like orange for how bright it is, helps with lighting in the camper. similar to how garages aren’t so dark when you put up dry wall.

1 Like

Tangerine definitely helps with finding camp both day and night!

1 Like

Unfortunately, it also helps other people find your camp, which may be undesirable depending on who those folks are. I love the look of the Tangerine Dream, but I don’t run an Instagram page, so even though it would look great in photos, I’d personally rather keep the tent low-profile. If I’m worried about finding my tent when I get back to camp, I’ll hang a small light with a beacon mode. Not only will it last for days, but a blinking light is far more visible in the dark than even Tangerine Dream. :wink: That’s just my $1.25 (damned inflation!) but everyone has their own priorities to base their decision on.

2 Likes

Agreed, pros and cons depending how you look at it and your priorities. Unfortunately when everyone and their mother in SoCal is at Ocotillo Wells on the weekend its tough to be discreet no matter what color your tent is lol. The other downside to the tangerine is it strongly resembles the orange targets in the nearby bombing range…:flushed:

1 Like

The orange screams GFC. If you see it, you instantly know it’s a GFC.

4 Likes

This. How many other grey wedge tents are out there? I have yet to see a tangerine in the same vein as GFCs :tangerine:

1 Like