Torn strap on Superlite

Me and the Superlite just got back from an epic trip to Baja. The tent was awesome and the low weight made a huge difference on the go-fast sections that we ran. Unfortunately about half way through our run I noticed that one of the mounting loops pulled out of the top and I lost the loop.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Not sure what can be done to fix it :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

I’ll skip all my thoughts on how inexcusable this is.

If you live near the water, I would try a place that repairs sails. They don’t always use seeing machines. If you have connections to a military community, try to find a PR (parachute rigger) because many of them can make car seat covers and boat covers from scratch and repaired some unique items with all sorts of techniques. I think that straps will result in flutter, noise, etc.

2 Likes

Ayyy that’s such a bummer!

Once we get ourselves outfitted with a bartack machine (hopefully by December), I can fix that for ya. We’re in SoCal just northwest of LA, not sure where you’re located. If you’re able to take out the components (honeycomb, etc), most sewing repair shops should be able to do a decent repair. Then make sure to apply seam grip on the inside. That’ll help it be a waterproof repair.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just heard back from GFC and they don’t have any material available nor any ideas on how to handle the repair.

A friend of mine is an industrial upholsterer and she’s offered to help me with the repair. I’ve ordered the strapping material and thread and I’ll keep you all posted on how it goes.

1 Like

I’d like to say that you should be happy to receive a response. But the news blows. Sorry to see it. I’ve been waiting almost a week for them to respond to two emails for my dumpster fire.

BUT I’ve been thinking about your issue. If I designed this, I would have the webbing go straight across the back of the shell, under the cover, so as you tighten one side, you’re essentially pulling the other side tighter rather than pulling a loop of webbing from a seam like the neck tag from a tshirt. The one question I have or problem I can see is water intrusion. My tent doesn’t have a hole in it yet, so I don’t know whether or not the construction will support openings along the side of the cover.

In other words, 1 long strap with loops on each end that spans the width. Using the original hooks on each side. The watertight version would have waterproof material sewn into a tube go side to side with the tube “rims” or ends being sewn to the seam area that you pulled out. That would mean any water goes into a tunnel without draining into the tent as long as all seams are sealed. Then the long webbing goes through that “tunnel.”

What do you think?

4 Likes

This is a bit troubling. GFC initially promoted the Superlite as modular with parts and pieces being replaceable. Hope that idea hasn’t been scrapped. Good luck man

5 Likes

Yeah, I agree that a through strap would have been much stronger than the current design.

A friend of mine who is an upholsterer was able to fix mine. We added some Gorilla Glue before we re-stitched the loop so I guarantee that the affected strap is now the strongest one on the tent. I feel really good about the repair.

That’s great news. Thank you for the followup!

1 Like

Yikes, I’ve actually been very concerned with this happening after having my superlite for awhile and figured it was a matter of time before this happened to me or someone else. Keep us updated.

2 Likes

any pics of the repair? thanks

We have been working on a solution in-house that will enable one to run a strap across the top of the SuperLite if the j-hook loop pulls out—similar in logic to what @Pittdrums posited. We do not have an ETA as to when that will be completed, but the team is actively working on it.

If you have a similar issue with your SuperLite, then submit a Service Request Form and we will get you taken care of once the solution is finalized.

2 Likes

Did you originally sew these with UV resistant thread?

Now I know not to tighten too much

Same thing happened to my tent. So bummed. My local upholster wasn’t able to get a needle through the fabric. Can you post a picture or info on how you were able to repair it?

Yes, it is a UV resistant bonded polyester. It is definitely stronger than normal tent thread and performs well against water. Every SuperLite that left our facility was tested at each j-hook loop to insure they were robust. Each loop is also double stitched.

Again, if you have an issue, please reach out to us.

1 Like

What is the name of your shop? I’m
In Orange County and had one of my pull tabs ripped out as well.

Thanks for any help

1 Like

Note to self: don’t pull too hard. This is concerning to say the least. But, I’m glad GFC is considering the issue and finding a solution. I certainly would have yanked hard to get it as low profile as I could. Glad I read this.

Hey @Dreed! Sorry for the late reply, we were out of service in socal deserts for the long weekend.

Kind of a garage operation at the moment but shoot me a PM and we can work out a good time to fix that for ya!

Hey @AERONAUT no worries I was out enjoying the mountains myself. I’m going crazy trying to figure out how to send A Message on this forum but can’t figure it out. Do you have an email i can contact you through? Or number?

Thank you sir

If you’re a new user you can’t, otherwise just click on the symbol next to their user name then select “Message” in the popup box.

1 Like