What do you want to do?

Hey Y’all,

I have now been running the installation space for sometime and we have a great team slanging campers all day long, 4 days a week. My team is curious what kinds of things you would like to know when you come up!
Things to do?
Places to eat?
Where to stay?
Where to camp (we most likely won’t actively advertise the spots but will share one on one)?
What to bring?

We are looking for specifics! We would like to be able to help you plan your trip and make it the best it can possibly be. Other things that are not covered here as well. Where to wash the car, best mechanics, etc.

If you already came up for installation, what did you miss? What did you wish you had done or known? This may help the next customer in line!

Thanks,
-Mike

2 Likes

Can I add on the ladder + Mantis claws and awning mounts during my install (and can I purchase beforehand)? Do I need to do anything before install such as wash the truck or weatherize it in any way? Any specific helping modifications per vehicle, IE for my Chevy Colorado a stubby antenna. See you June 24th!

You can buy all of our accessories during the installation. We can install the mantis claw mounts for you as well! We do not install the universal brackets but we can sell them to you! You don’t “need” to do anything. We appreciate a clean truck but we are only in the bed so no worries there! The stubby antenna does work for the Chevy Colorado if you would like to go that route.

1 Like

I will be heading that way next week and very interested in doing some dispersed camping. Would rather not get a hotel but the 10hr drive there will surely exhaust me. Any ideas? Maybe someone I can speak with it directly when I come in for my install on the 16th? :metal:

PS - I did my own look around but couldn’t locate anything.

2 Likes

We can absolutely help you once you are here! If you end up here the night before we really like the RSVP in Bozeman. They will give you a small discount as a customer!

1 Like

Local road and trail status. Forest Service roads. Snowpack elevation where one should anticipate running into it. Lot’s of us plan to explore and camp and know how to use maps and make a route but the local beta would be invaluable. On that note, trails and routes worth taking to head west, south, etc…on our way home to stay away from the asphalt would also be nice to hear.
K-

4 Likes

X2 on what PDX_Keith said. I installed on 3.26.22 on my Tundra and sons Tacoma. Big Mike posted early on Nov 21 any help he could offer( see Big Mikes winter planning guide) he would. Wanted to take advantage, but my time frame was to tight to explore. GFC’s local trail and camp info would have been great if I had some extra days to explore. Also I would have liked to see how the GFC is built. Would be good info on any needed repairs if you see the build process. Not sure how that would disrupt production.
Phil

1 Like

Only thing I would suggest would be to install the third break light. Had my camper for almost three months now and still haven’t been able to hook it up.

8 Likes

When I went last august to get mine, staying in big sky to get a few laps in before my appointment was life affirming.
Also, it was a little less expensive than the hotels in Bozeman.
If I were to do it again, I’d make time to see the museum of the Rockies.
I have to come back with the family so we can go to that
Hook sushi in town is amazing for land locked sushi.

1 Like

Headed up towards the end of July for my install and am already buying a ton of accessories based on my forum reads. I build jeeps as my hobby and am very handy with things so installing said accessories is going to be fun - but my two cents would be that there should be some things that your install techs complete during the camper install (i.e. the third brake light). Yes it’s simple but for what we pay for the camper + install fee + traveling costs that little thing is a big win in my book. :woman_shrugging: Thanks for asking!

Edit - or for some of your market that maybe isn’t as “handy”, having a bay next door or close that can/will do the accessory installs?

5 Likes

Great suggestions. I will add that to my list and whittle away at it!

We are always working on this. We have a larger team now and should be able to incorporating more of that type of thing!

We have some awesome sushi up here! The prices of hotels will vary really almost weekly but I plan to add a little more on the “outside of town, town” idea section. I am already working on skiing/mountainbiking/hiking!

1 Like

We definitely plan on doing the third brake light, it is more of working through the liability now and less about actually doing it (new trucks like the F150 have made it infinitely more difficult). We do work with an outfitter up here who can help with mounting accessories! Darkhorse Outfitters/Customs would be a local spot to help with that. Until we have a much larger team installing aftermarket accessories will likely not be in the books but that doesn’t mean we aren’t talking about it! I appreciate the feedback!

4 Likes

I’d be happy to set up the tail light on my Ram 2500 with a pigtail or sign a waiver if y’all get it figured out. Install is July 21st). :+1:

I picked up my camper a couple weeks ago and my only complaint is the shop doggo wasn’t around. Must’ve had the day off :frowning_face:

One other thing that someone else kind of mentioned is some type of way to help us better understand the build and some of the proprietary components of the camper should we need to make any “in the field” type repairs or maintenance. For example, the pocket locks were new to me and had one come loose on my way home. Wasn’t a big deal so waited until I got home a few days later to submit a service request where I learned a simple quarter turn with a flathead would re-engage it. Maybe incorporate that into the post-install demo or some sort of owners manual or access to a library of self-service videos for owners.

I learned A TON from this forum as well prior to coming up for my install and theres some stuff that I think is super helpful for customers that might not take the time to delve as deep as I did beforehand.

4 Likes

Yeah, Kuma is 11 so he takes off whatever days he wants haha!

I am sure service is working ons some type of manual like that. I do not think it is likely we will ever have enough time to go through something like that during the walk around but we agree it would be absolutely beneficial to have a user’s manual of types and are working on that. We do try to push as much information out there as we can beforehand, though sometimes it gets overlooked.

2 Likes

Unless there is some kind of issue we never run more than 40min for an install. Bozeman is approx. 13-15 min away so it might not be beneficial for the install side. We do however shuttle people if they come in for a service appointment as those typically run much longer. Customers are always welcome to just drop the truck off and many do! Normally they have friends in the area but I have personally shuttled a few customers to check out of their hotels, grab meals, etc. I normally offer to just let them take my truck but I guess I must be decent enough company haha!

3 Likes

For third brake lights I highly recommend Darkhorse Outfitters. Schedule ahead once you know your install slot. Then head straight to Darkhorse. That’s what I did. Took them like a half hour. Super great crew. Highly recommend them.

1 Like

Getting it wired isn’t too difficult. I had wired mine during a rest stop in Idaho hours after getting it installed :100:

1 Like