What if any gps is everyone using, if any?

Best GPS systems? TIA

iPhone. Have the onx offroad app. Can download maps for offline use. Curious to see what else is out there

1 Like

GAIA GPS. I’ve tries a few others and wouldn’t change.

8 Likes

Device:
samsung tab A

Apps:

• gaia is my main app for mapping
  • avenza maps for MVUM reading

I have a garmin InReach. Bluetooths to cell phone for downloaded maps. Not the best for over landing maps, but it does allow text communication and has a SOS button anywhere in the world. Mostly use it for backcountry sledding and backpacking.

2 Likes

I really like the Gaia Map. I can use it on my phone, ipad or computer. Its great to share roads or camp spots with others.

3 Likes

GAIA maps for the truck, Trailforks for the bike, Garmin for hiking/running

6 Likes

Gaia app is the best. I have used the earthmate app as well which pairs to my Garmin Inreach.

2 Likes

gaia maps and combo of google, apple and truck nav

1 Like

Does no one use the garmin overlander? I was thinking of getting that…

Peace.

2 Likes

I have one, it compliments Gaia GPS on the ipad. Have not used it long enough to give an honest reveiw however its worth the $ when it goes on sale.

Gaia and ONX Offroad on an android tablet.

The Garmin Overlander is expensive, but its navigation screen is incredibly powerful. Its easy to add gas stops, food stops, bathroom breaks, etc during navigation. It has a good selection of off-line points of interest like campsites, off-road trails, food stops, national park resources. I don’t think any of the YouTube videos have really hit on how powerful it is. I’d really like to see an MVUM map incorporated, though.

I do like OnX for finding trails since they’re so easy to see on their maps.

Gaia probably has the best desktop route-planning tool. It’s a good tool if you want to get everything planned before you head out. The Garmin is better for seat-of-your-pants planning on the road.

I have to have a PIN on my phone for work, so I find using my phone for maps on the road frustrating at times. With the Garmin, my phone is able to focus on playing tunes.

3 Likes

I picked up the Gaia app a few weeks ago based on some of the comments here and elsewhere for solo trips. Rather than stopping over and over to look at my USGS topo’s - and it’s amazing. The subscription is kinda shitty, but I have a feeling that is largely to do with licensing ESRI products…damn Arc…

But overall, the functionality won me over. It downloads quads as you travel and provides you with GPS within +/- 30 ft while moving - after you lose cell coverage. I was pretty deep in the Oauchita’s a couple weeks ago and it covered me for a long while. I have also used another app for around 8ish years called TOPO maps. It provides USGS quads, and has tons of other features, but you need to download the quads before you go. When in doubt bring and old Garmin, use paper, compass, and protractor and good map reading skills lol.

1 Like

I was all set to get the garmin overlander. Probably still will. I saw the garmin ransom debacle recently. I really don’t know exactly what those situations will mean for future services such as garmin. I really hate subscriptions too. Not sure if the overlander is a subscription service or not. I need to do more research.

Peace.

The Garmin issue should be resolved for most today. All my devices are back to working :crossed_fingers:

I just picked up Magellan tr7 with off road trails. so far it’s been good but if you want satellite images that’s extra $30 a year. but you do get lifetime free map updates.

The garmin overland is a one-time purchase for worldwide topo maps and satellite imaging.

Again, the real advantage of the Overlander is its navigation. It comes with a super detailed navigational map of north and South America with tons of points of interest. It includes free updates. Europe and other areas are available for purchase. The offline navigation and POIs let you say “ok garmin find fuel along my route.” And bam, all the fuel stations are lined up in the screen. It’s really slick once you figure it out.

This is a little different from Gaia that’s more about having an incredible number of maps. You can tap out a route quickly, but it really requires you to know where you want to go.

I’d say the garmin Overlander is a door-to-door navigator that you can use on and off road to plan out a route on the fly.

Gaia is nice when you’re at home at a computer and can plot out different segments of a route.

I hope that comparison clears up the differences.

1 Like

I haven’t tried Garmin overland personally, but @daneo is correct about its benefits while driving. One pro for GAIA is for maps in the field. I use it for hikes, backpacks, and peakbagging. Sometimes I plan routes in advanced, but I always download multiple layers of maps (tops, satellite) of the area I am going to and it is very useful for outdoor activities because I always carry my phone. If you predownload the maps for where you are going it essentially replaces the need to carry any paper maps with its accurate information. It’s saved me a few times when trails disappear.

1 Like

Gaia is amazing.

But I recently got a Garmin 66i. The ability to communicate while off grid is almost a necessity now that I’m out there with my 9 year old. And that SOS button is gold.

Gaia is easier to use and a lot cheaper. But, the things you can do with the Garmin are pretty impressive.

1 Like