What’s up with hinges breaking

That sucks. What is your build #?

Ya it hasn’t been the greatest ownership experience… Build 128

1 Like

Just hinges? Or other issues too? I hope that hinge problem is fixed with the adhesive. Not sure if they can retrofit a riveted camper. Good luck.

Peace.

My rear hinge has identical tears in the middle.

They were able to send me a new side hinge a few weeks ago despite the shutdown, it just took a few weeks.

I got my rivet gun and extra 3/16" drill bit from Amazon last week and may sneak out throughout the day to work on replacing my side hinge.

With the rate things are going, I figure I should just plan a fall trip to MT to get the re-seal done as I can’t see them re-starting the repair tour anytime soon.

At build #128 had they switched to the new sealant between the hinge and extrusion or was yours one of the original design?

Hey Jay, shoot me an email at support@gfcengineering.com and I’ll see what I can do to help.

1 Like

Hey I just want to clarify a few things:

The rivets have nothing to do with hinge failures. Simply put, if these hinges don’t sit squarely on their mounting surface, weak points can form. Some early campers were built with a foam gasket that had the potential to impede the hinges’ ability to sit squarely. Since discovering this issue we have redesigned the campers to utilize a liquid seal, rather than a gasket, which allows the hinges to sit squarely and remain functional for the long haul.

Wiley, the big dog around here, summed it up earlier in this thread. Here’s what he said:

I appreciate your suggestion. It sucks that some of our customers had to go through this, but we are genuinely doing everything we can to resolve these problems for them. Our customers that have experienced problems with hinges will be taken care of through our warrant department on a case by case basis. When we’re able to travel freely we are all looking forward to the Product Improvement Tour that has been in the works.

3 Likes

A self-leveling solution. As long as the underlying surface is relatively even, that ought to address the problem.

When GFC published their findings & resolution, I appreciated that they were confident that the source of the problem had been found, that it was shared publicly, and that the resolution was put in place as soon as possible. My camper is on the (possibly) affected list, and I’m looking forward to seeing Mike in town, or visiting Bozeman again to have the service performed. Don’t let the C19 get you down. :+1:

3 Likes

Thank you Taylor, email has been dispatched.

Passenger side hinge broke this weekend. Just contacted GFC to see what options are. Super bummed. As soon as I purchased the unit I was concerned about design. It felt really delicate for the intended use of this camper style.

5 Likes

What build number are you @goinguphigh?

Add me to the list. Unit #143 with the new sealant. Closed the door and started to hear it crack, then the entire door popped off.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Sorry man that’s a huge bummer! Is sucks to see that the hinges can fail even with the new sealant…

Agreed. This is concerning. I hope this case is an exception. Picking up my camper on Tuesday. I’ll definitely ask them about proper opening and closing techniques. I feel like these failures must be related to one’s opening and closing habits. Don’t know. If I find out anything useful, I’ll post it here.

Peace.

1 Like

Guess a lot of people have the same habits.

3 Likes

I am convinced it is the over matched upward force of the gas struts.

1 Like

Are you having hinge issues?

There is no special insight on how you open and/or close the doors besides what they say in this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=904kRf3hCE4

I wonder how many others (if any) have failed with the new sealant…

1 Like

I’ve lost track of the revisions. Does the latest attachment method still use rivets between the hinge & door?

Has anyone made limiting straps for their doors? I’m thinking about somehow attaching small limiting chains to the struts. Don’t have my camper yet, so we’ll see how that goes. I think chain because its easy to count links to ensure equal lengths. Hoping that the chain will take load off of the hinge. I have seen one GFC in person. The doors felt flexy. As the video eludes to, I wonder if haphazardly opening the doors accentuates the flex and causes stress on the hinge over time. I’m going to try to be careful opening and closing the doors and try to incorporate a limit on the struts. I’ll quiz the installer on Tuesday. As I stated earlier, I’ll post any useful info I get here.

Peace.