Awesome! Not quite sure the hinges breaking thread is the right place for this.
Great to hear Taylor. Beginning to stress when leaving for trips with no confidence in my other panels holding. Please give an update on the projected August PIT schedule.
Looks like Mike is on vacation till the 17th from his email autoresponder.
@GFC_Taylor can we expect a PIT/hinge update next Monday? Thanks.
Keep your eyes on the Whats up with new hinges thread tomorrow morning.
I hope you weren’t basing “morning” on my schedule.
I expect great news when I get up. Goodnight!
@GFC_Taylor That design is expletive expletive awesome! Just another reason to express to the world that the GFC crew’s ingenuity and dedication to their current and future customers is without comparison.
One can never stop improving.
Psyched! I am #800, still in Components Produced Notified, but I know when I pick mine up around the end of next month it’ll be bomb proof.
Will this be backwards compatible with existing campers?
Yeah! Take a look at the post I linked to.
@GFC_Taylor - What kind of lead time would you need for an appointment to have the hinges replaced in Belgrade? I’ll have to take some vacation time to do it, so I need some idea of how far out I’d need to schedule it.
Hit our email so we can get you scheduled. We have repair slots set aside that are first come first serve. If you send it to firstname.lastname@example.org attn: Taylor I’ll make sure we get a conversation around scheduling started today.
Mine started splitting today, what’s the consensus on whether or not to drill a relief hole to stop the split?
Ironically I filled out the survey yesterday saying I didn’t need to get it fixed for 2-3 Months.
I don’t know if there’s a consensus on the effectiveness of drilling a relief hole.
I had a rear hinge partially fail, with nothing terribly alarming showing before it cracked badly. The bits that remained intact looked compromised, and I knew I wouldn’t be able to leave it closed, so I completed the removal process rather than risk it coming free on its own schedule.
Via email. I don’t think I did anything proactively you get on a list.
I filled out the survey yesterday too. It did say your timeline is not set in stone. Email Taylor at GFC tolet him know and I’m sure he will move you up sooner.
My guess is that it was sent to early customers without hinge issues. It was a few questions about if you were planning to proactively upgrade, if you would be willing to drive to HQ to get them fixed, and how much notice you would need to drive for the upgrade.
I received my email invitation to the survey on the afternoon of Friday, 8-28-2020, but I didn’t see it until now. Not much to it, just a few questions asking about how different options for the hinge upgrade process will work for you. I think they’re trying to gauge what kind of demand will be put on the shop and P.I.T. I know not everyone can do it, or will want to make the trip, but if you haven’t spent time in Montana, this is a great excuse. I’m sure Mike will be happy to not see you on the road, too.
I like the use of a survey. It’s another sign that GFC is moving in the right direction, IMO. I think they have a good feel for what they need to know before moving forward with a project, and a well constructed survey will give them feedback in a more manageable form than emails and forum posts. I’d like to see more surveys about upgrades, accessories, and the like.