What’s up with hinges breaking

Yeah. That’s is what I was talking about. Too lazy to look up a photo myself. Thanks for posting. Yeah, I could see how those could bend if you weren’t careful, but they would be easier to replace than the hinges for sure. If GFC fabbed them, I’m sure they could make them a little beefier so damage was less likely. This all assumes I that the idea of the static load on the hinge is in fact the root cause of the problem. Based on the GFC post, it sounds like misuse has been an issue as well, but all the reading I’ve done on these hinges says they shouldn’t be used under load.

Could someone with a GFC post a picture of the gas strut when the panel is closed? Also, how are the struts mounted to the frame?

2 Likes

I think the pivot point of the two hinges must be parallel to each other if you try @rajacat idea, if not they might counter one another causing them to work against each other rather then helping.
Maybe drilling out some the rivet holes and using one of these hinges together with the T-slot system might work?

I think the angle that they protrude up is a more of an exacerbation. It’s as if the struts should have a stopper to keep them from over extending the hinge; such as when the doors are open to be 90° instead of ~120° as they are now. On top of that the struts can go further out meaning they more than likely provide pressure on the hinge. Think of it like a classic fatigue example of a paper clip; you bend it 90° back and forth it will eventually break, but it will extend the life multitudes compared to the ~120°.

I’ve used some baseball netting line to hold my rear door limited for extended highway cruising. I keep a kayak in the back with the door open. Have gone 70-80mph for about 1000 miles combined now. Lots of off road with the door open too and really haven’t seen much of an issue, ever since the reports I check every now and again. I’m thinking maybe matching a better length strut would solve most the issues and take pressure off the hinge as opposed to a full hinge redesign.

Also looks like some users have either thermal expansion or improper placement of the hinge; the photo posted by mac_2_nite is a great example of the hinge not being seated (or thermal expansion) and probably what ultimately caused the failure from angle forces on the end.

2 Likes

I’d love to see a photo of how you hold the rear door open with netting. I’ve pondered different solutions to keeping the door open for transporting a kayak, but I’ve always been concerned about putting stress on the door.

I cut them off just recently, but I have a better solution that’s simpler. What I was doing is tying this to the flange on the frame that the compression latches onto and then tying the other end to the hole on the lower flange of the rear panel. Worked well, but was annoying to tuck the line in every time I closed the panel when not driving with it open.

My new solution is going to be using the same line, but tying one end to each of the balls that the struts connect to the frame and panel. Just get the length right so each is limited to 90°. The line works really well and did not loosen with simple fishing knots or rub either surface of the powder coating.

2 Likes

Would adding additional bracing to make the panels more rigid make a difference? Mine are kinda floppy which seems to create uneven pressure on the hinge during opening/closing if I don’t grab right in the center.

My “trust” has been upgraded, here are the other photos of my hinges:

What’s interesting to me is the brand new hinge is already showing wear. The rear has both sides cracked, so I’m just waiting for it to go.

Love the posts about all the science, I wish GFC would offer a better response than “it’s just 1%”

Good pics. Makes wonder about the alignment of the hinge itself. If the hinges aren’t perfectly straight, there would be different points of rotation that would putting tension/compression cycles on those misaligned spots of the hinges each time it is opened. If the end of the hinge is flared out or in, I could see that causing the failures. Might explain the intermittent failures, since it could be related to fabrication/assembly rather than design or material selection.

I’d love to know GFC’s thoughts on the cause when misuse wasn’t an issue. It seems Mac_2_nite isn’t misusing the panels (or maybe you’re a serial misuser, who knows? :slight_smile: ) If I were them, I’d want to put a plug in this issue. Everything else about the design is built to be replaced easily. As they said in that use and care video. It’s a bummer the ONLY part that is bonded and riveted in place is the one that has shown signs of premature failure. Even to say, “we know what caused the problem and we’re working on a fix,” would do a lot to calm the crowd. I do feel for them. They’ve got a customer base (yours truly) offering root cause analysis without ever seeing the problem first hand. Armchair engineering at its best.

5 Likes

GFC, you mentioned in your post that the initial design put undue stress on the hinge that could cause failure. Since the sealant redesign (that you said resolved this issues), have you seen any failures that have not been associated with misuse (people pulling themselves up onto the tailgate)? I’m not clear if Mac_2_nite’s hinge failure and subsequent repair was done with the new sealant method. Can you clear that up for us?

I’ve noticed that my rear door has taken a set. Anybody else have this? I wonder if the set will put added stress on the hinges?

1 Like

OK, that’s good to know. My side doors don’t have any set. The gasket pushing against the tailgate must create the set. There’s a fair amount of pressure that the locks are working against.

So far we have not had issues with the new sealant system and the hinges failing. Unless of course Mac’s camper has been resealed. Its hard to know who is who with screen names.

My camper has not had the sealant put on yet. Just one hinge that I have replaced so far (driver side, cracked from rear to front).

1 Like

That’s great to hear! When did that design transition take place…i.e. how many deliveries have the new design? Have enough campers gone out without subsequent failure that you feel this cracked hinge problem is fully resolved?

1 Like

I was one of pre-orders, but due to an order mistake I was delayed. January this year came and they told me I could get it asap or wait a few more weeks and they would fully update the camper like the new ones. Not sure what the # would be with the old style, but anything built around 2/3 week January 2019 and up would be built with the new sealant system.

Almost all campers are now sealed. Almost every new camper starting in the early 100’s (we are now in the 300’s) are sealed with the new sealant and we have sealed most of the older campers with the original crown seal instead of the Terason we use now. Any issues I have been currently having with the hinges are still units with the old crown seal that puts stress on the hinge. I am constantly working with production to upgrade/update/improve everything on the campers, even without issue. Being as proactive as possible has been the best policy for dealing with warranty issues.

All of the feedback I have been getting from you guys has been amazing in helping me get the program built and stay ahead of any major issues as well as finding quick but effective solutions for existing issues. I have been very confident in the new sealant as a solution not only to the stress placed on the panels but also as a better waterproofing system. That does not mean we are not looking into other options still. Different panel fasteners, different hinge material, Etc. That doesn’t mean what is in place is ineffective but we are not a company that appreciates stagnation. Anyone who has an issue with their camper should never feel like they cannot come forward with the issue. If its something that isn’t covered under warranty, I will still help you find the best way to solve the problem. If it is covered under warranty then hot dog I will do everything I can to help you get it fixed. No one should ever feel that they will not be taken care of or that they have to come at the problem with a defensive or angry tone either. That never helps either side, we already want to help however we can. I have gone out of my way countless times to make stuff happen that I would have never dreamed I would be able to do under a company in this industry and I must say you will not find a better warranty on any product in this market, of this kind.

20 Likes

@Mike_GFCUSA - This is a great response. Exactly what I think we all wanted to hear! I really appreciate you guys engaging with us in such a meaningful way. Thanks.

3 Likes

I was number 125, and I was told I was in the first batch with the new sealant. I have been keeping an eye on my hinges recently, and they are still looking good!

3 Likes

GFC has recently just picked up my camper, #16 GFC, and I cant wait for the upgrades to come. New hinges, sealant, panel fasteners, etc… Mike has been helpful in getting me squared away also.

Just hoping it doesnt take too long and I dont miss too much fall camping. :stuck_out_tongue:

Kalvin

2 Likes

What do you mean by panel fasteners? Mine is about to be picked up as well and I want to make sure everything is upgraded as needed.