What’s up with hinges breaking

Just those two locks for each panel. I have the original ones and I know they have newer ones now.

2 Likes

Just to add a data point.

Early build camper, number 41 I think (around there anyway)

Sent back to be resealed earlier this year.

Passenger side hinge, the side I use the least, failed spectacularly last night while trying to close the panel, nearly hurt me it came apart so fast.

That’s what worries me the most now. I had no initial tearing or anything that I saw, and I’ve been checking since these failures were first reported.

Failure started at the leading edge (towards truck cab) and just flew across the length of the hinge as I tried to close the panel. Wasn’t pulling directly in the middle, more like on the third closest to where the failure started as I tried to close the panel.

Perfect timing too with rain in the forecast and trips planned /s

I’m going to install safety cords on both upper corners of each panel. I’d not want this to happen on the highway.

1 Like

I’d say that’s a good idea.

For me, once it started to tear, it went quick.

Do the hinges pop when the panels are shut?

What do you mean by pop?

There’s been no audible noise during use of my doors. No “popping” into position either

Has GFC come up with a fix?

Don’t think so. I think they feel their process is resolving the issue.

I was told mine is the first of the sealed campers to have a hinge failure.

I should be getting a replacement hinge coming my way so we’ll see just how this replacement will go.

If this sealant effectively glued everything together I would’ve preferred to not have my camper sealed as with the old sandwiching method the replacement would be easy.

Did your hinge rip exactly where it hinges? If it did, I don’t understand why the sealant between the frame and the hinge would make a difference.

1 Like

It ripped at the hinge. There’s sealant along all the surfaces, between the hinge and the space frame and the hinge and the tent extrusion.

I haven’t tried to pull it apart yet, but if it acts like an rtv gasket it’s going to suck getting the replacement hinge into that position.

1 Like

Sorry. I should have clarified. Do the hinges break when the panels are shut or do they break in the act of them opening?

Mine broke in the act of closing.

As I grabbed the panel over head to close it the hinge tore starting at the leasing edge towards the can all the way to the end.

All I did was pull down as though I was closing the panel and that was enough for the hinge to shear along its length.

The streets didn’t compress at all, they acted more like a fulcrum

Bummer. From what I’ve read on here & TW, it does seem like they’re breaking during dynamic motion (opening or closing). The reason I ask is because someone mentioned them potentially breaking while on the freeway (not in dynamic motion), and that’s a huge cause of concern.

1 Like

Figures, lol.

Did you do the repair yourself? If you did, how bad was it? I’m guessing you had a similar warranty thing explained to you as well?

Was surprised at the difference in response between sealing/updating and when something was actually broken.

can you clarify what you mean by that?

I’m not gonna lie, this whole thread worries the heck out of me. I definitely appreciate what sounds like quick customer service on the GFC side, but would be good to have a method of macguyvering it in the middle of a trip.

An attitude and level of service was offered that was second to none, like the taking of the campers back for sealing and updating, like mine, even though I didn’t ask for it.

That alone made up for a lot of what I experienced in the process of obtaining this thing as an early adopter.

I’m fixing the hinge myself. Supposedly sealing can be done in the field now and at a later time. I don’t know what anyone else has experienced, so I’ll leave it at that.

I’d like to see a permanent fix perhaps some ad on strap hinges connected to the extrusion which would support the panels and be fail safe. The present hinges could be left in place to function as leak barriers. I wonder how many hinge failures there will be 5 years down the road if a better system isn’t implemented?

1 Like

If it helps to provide another data point. I have been using mine all summer on rough roads with the rear door open; easily combined 1-200 miles of offroad in this fashion and 3-4000 miles of on road. Also have opened and closed mine multiple times a week since February. I regularly check the hinges just to be safe. Nothing to be seen. I was one of the first built with new sealing in Jan 2019.

3 Likes

if it turns out that the upward pressure from the gas struts is the root cause of the failure over shorter than design time frame, then the struts could always be replaced with a manual, height adjustable stay. Like those used on Dometic Seitz windows in RVs. They are light weight and durable. Being about to adjust the height of the opening would be advantages in some situations. It would not be as fast opening the sides or back, but I would give up speed for adjustment and reliability

1 Like

Mine got plenty of use, and was sealed similarly at the beginning of the year. I’d wager mine got used as much as anyone elses.

“Cabana” mode and hanging out beach was a regular thing. It’s just that even with that much use, the passenger side is the least used because I go through the back or the driver’s side for most anything.

I too checked for signs of failure, and had none before my hinge broke, which is why I was so upset. I didn’t have the start of a tear or anything.

When I pulled down to close the passenger side, the hinge failed in spectacular fashion from the leading edge to the end.

As the previous poster mentioned, it’s like the gas struts acted like a fulcrum…

2 Likes